HELP: Where does this rubber bumper belongs to?

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
This .8" square (.4" thick) little block of hard rubber fell off while I was taking the fairing down (see picture). It has a very small dab of adhesive left on the top, so it must have been glued on somewhere.

It is not grooved at all. So it doesn't snap on an edge somewhere. It had to be glued flat on something.

I did not see it falling off, so I have no idea where it is coming from. Just found it behind the front wheel, in front of the radiator, after taking all the plastic down.

Anybody has an idea of where it belongs?

Attachments

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Isn't there some like that on the forward parts of the seat? left and right? Can't remember.

It seems like I remember a chunk of rubber under the bike somehwere to keep the center stand from hitting the frame. I don't have my manual or the bike near to check, though.

OP
OP
MidLife
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Isn't there some like that on the forward parts of the seat? left and right? Can't remember.
Well.... the seat is still with UPS on its way back from Spencer. Will have to wait a few days before I can check that theory.

But from where the rubber bumper was laying on the floor, in front of the radiator, I would have expected it to come from somewhere more towards the front of the bike!

Thanks for the help.

OP
OP
MidLife
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
It seems like I remember a chunk of rubber under the bike somehwere to keep the center stand from hitting the frame. I don't have my manual or the bike near to check, though.
John,

Yes, you remember correctly! There is a chunck of rubber for the center stand to bump against. But is is ribbed and mine is still in place. And again, the piece I found on the floor was further towards the front of the bike. Must have fallen off from "somewhere" in the front while I was removing the inner cowls.

Last edited:
I have one like that but it has a small groove in it, goes between the tank and the fairing. The one that goes between the seat and body does not have a groove, but it longer and more narrow. Can't think what else it could be for, had my bike apart several times and nothing like that has stuck out.

OP
OP
MidLife
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
See if the bumpers on both sides of the tank are still in place?
WJB,

Are you talking about the same bumpers HoJo was mentioning?

The ones straddling the lower front edges of the tank, facing down? These are still in place.

My fallen chunk has no groove to be istalled like these tank bumpers. It is a solid block of rubber.

Thanks for checking.

Greetings from the North East

I just finished a complete rebuild of a 2005,and for the life of me never saw this piece of rubber.

Just went down to the shop and looked over the whole seat there is no such rubber for the seat.

I also did and exstensive search of the parts manual I have on cd and could only find a rubber that size that has somthing to do with the gauge cluster.

It could be it fell of from there?

I tried Good Luck

William

Try using an online source to look at a parts fiche.

Select Speedometer, Look at Item #20. Sure looks like your mystery rubber?

How it attaches and what its for could only be determened by removing the black upper cowls!

William

Last edited:
OP
OP
MidLife
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #

Try using an online source to look at a parts fiche.

Select Speedometer, Look at Item #20. Sure looks like your mystery rubber?

How it attaches and what its for could only be determened by removing the black upper cowls!

William
William,

I think you win the grand prize!

Are you going to explain how you unearthed this particular one part out of the gazillions of parts in the catalog? Did you search your CD for the key word "Rubber"?

My mistery rubber chunk looks very much like the 83605-MY5-G30 you pointed out. Chances are it fell off a while back and was bobbing around in the fairing and got out when I took the fairing down.

Chances are good this is the correct part. I have an 03 and the original owner had the electric shield installed and the mechanic who did the work left quite a mess in there, under the black upper cowls you are talking about. Already had to get in there a few times. I guess I'll dive in it again when I feel like it!

On a side note, I wish I hadn't "undressed" the bike. I can now see oil and coolant weeping out of the weephole by the water pump.....again. The bike was already down for two months solid at the dealer to fix that once already! I won't worry about is as long as it is only "weeping". Before the repair it was a good drip.

Well, many thanks to you, Mister William from the North East.

And I guess, thanks also to this Mellow guy who put this site together!

Last edited:
Greetings fromthe North east.

Glad to here this may have been solved. May be I will take the time this week to see where and how it atatches.

Since I rebuilt my 2005 from a totaled bike I have some knowlege of the bike. I srtiped mine down to the motor and the frame and over six months checked every part and rebuilt it fom the ground up.

Also I added all the mods, farkels and fixes suggested from the fourms.

In the next few weeks I will be posting all that I did to the bike, with pictures and text..... coming soon.

Im also the kind that is very determened when there is somthing I need or another needs help.

Its what the fourm is all about And i love it and the members that set up this Great site

All the best

William

Last edited:
OP
OP
MidLife
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Greetings fromthe North east.

Glad to here this may have been solved. May be I will take the time this week to see where and how it atatches.

All the best

William
William,

Took the black plastic off, behind the instrument panel, just as you suggested, and it was immediately obvious where this rubber bumber belongs.

There are two of them, one on each side of the back of the instruments housing, and the other one was still in place, which made it easy to figure out the location of the loose one.

Am glad now I did not ride without it: This bumper fits between the instrument housing and its support frame. The housing actually rests on this hard rubber piece. The housing would have been unsupported on one side without it.

A big thanks to you. Without your help I'd still be searching, or worse, riding without it!

By the way, any progress on your flat spot/surge problem?

Last edited:

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Wow! Great thread. Always nice to see so many people coming up with possible solutions to something like this. I for one would never be able to figure it out without the help of others. Kudos to all who offered help.

John

OP
OP
MidLife
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
About 10 years ago, I was working on the ST when a small rubber part fell on the floor from the headlight area, had no idea where it exactly belonged.

William, who posted here only for a short time while rebuilding an 05, did a detailed part fiches search and found the location of the part! Unbelievable help.

Yesterday, while inspecting the brakes, the same part fell off again......(turns out it was in fact its twin sister, there are two of these).

Glad our Mellow has the site so well organized that I was able to find this 10 year old post from William in no time to refresh my memory!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
About 10 years ago, I was working on the ST when a small rubber part fell on the floor from the headlight area, had no idea where it exactly belonged.

William, who posted here only for a short time while rebuilding an 05, did a detailed part fiches search and found the location of the part! Unbelievable help.

Yesterday, while inspecting the brakes, the same part fell off again......(turns out it was in fact its twin sister, there are two of these).

Glad our Mellow has the site so well organized that I was able to find this 10 year old post from William in no time to refresh my memory!
LOL.. it's true, history does repeat itself...

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
I have nothing constructive to solve the riddle, but a long strip of rubber fell off of my ST when I was pulling the fairing in 2010. It's still in my saddlebag. No idea where it goes either.

Happens to all of us!

Top Bottom