TankSlapper Paint Protection Film

Finewest

R.I.P. - 2018/09/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST-less
STOC #
I had installed today a clear vinyl film protector on my ST's tank. I am using a tankbag that has some power and audio cords coming out of it and rubbing on the gas tank causing some scuffing. So I deciding I needed some sort of protection cover for the tank. I chose a local supplier called TankSlapper. He is in Escondido a short hop from Oceanside, so I called him asking to buy the film and have him install it and he agreed. Lucus is his name and he works out of his garage as so many of these little wonderful farkle manufacturers do. He has pre-cut film for the ST and other bikes but I needed a custom fit for the sides of my gas tank and he did it while we talked bikes and stuff. Very nice guy and did a wonderful job. He even buffed out the scuffs on the tank caused by the cords! The film is almost invisible and looks great on the tank which means you can hardly tell it's there so I didn't lose the my bike's beautiful and faSTer black color. I'd take a pic but what's the point? You can't see it!

Here's his website:

TANKSLAPPER

Omega.Rider

Weapons-grade stupid
Bike
98 ST1100
STOC #
I've got a set on the tank of my 1100. Good stuff and a great guy to work with. I was wondering about getting more peices covered (lower leg area and saddle bags). He regretfully told me that he didn't have some of the peices I wanted precut or even patterned. He then happily told me that I could buy the material from him in bulk and for a small discount. Further he gave me pointers on how to best create a template for the peices I want to make.

Now THAT is good customer service.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
I hate to do this, but someone always does: I had a bad experience with the stuff. But, opinions are like @$$ holes, and everyone's got one.

I followed the directions for the stuff, but it just wouldn't stay put. It kept peeling back. It's too bad. Maybe I need to drive to Cali and have them install it next time!

OP
OP
Finewest

Finewest

R.I.P. - 2018/09/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST-less
STOC #
There are two types of film. One is a just a plain old static cling type, and the other is a more expensive 3M adhesive backed a little thicker film. I opted for the latter. So far so good.

Bike
2008 VStrom 650
There are two types of film. One is a just a plain old static cling type, and the other is a more expensive 3M adhesive backed a little thicker film. I opted for the latter. So far so good.
You can buy a 6' roll of the latter from 3M for about $30 and cut your own shapes. Worked for me and it has not peeled off in over a year. It is a liitle tricky to get positioned and to work out the air bubbles though but you have lots to practice with.

I was curious about the adhesive left behind when a person must change it. Anyone have any experience with removal? I just took possession of my '07 and want to place this on bike before I ever buy a tank bag. Though the tank bags are one of the single most handy things to have for any trip, they are murder on tank paint.

Removal is fairly easy, just heat up a corner of the film with a hair dryer and peel the corner back. Pull the film straight backwards and it should peel off fine. You shouldn't have much or any residue left on the painted surface. If there is a little any adhesive remover will take it off, but make sure your remover is safe for painted surfaces.

We make adhesive protection film kits for the ST1300. You can see our selection of kits at the following site. https://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=4
Thanks. You have any recommendation of paint safe adhesive removers? I'm going to the link now. Matt

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
:bump

I have to recant: I reluctantly re-ordered the Tankslapper ST1300 kit when I got my new tankbag. I used the "Velcro Credit Card" trick when I installed this time, and it's been absolutely awesome all summer long. :yes::yes:

Also, as a bonus, I cut a custom piece from the leftover material and it made a very respectable anti-scratch film for my iPhone. :woo

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I know this is an old thread, but I'm interested to hear from those that have used the different products, what experiences you have had and how is it holding up?

It looks like I'll be taking my newly plastic-ed 2010 out on this week long trip in September and I would like to protect the paint the best I can.

Thanks!

Bike
2005 ST1300
Perfect timing for this update as I am looking to find the best protection as well. I want to load dry bags on top of the saddle bags but don't want to scratch or scuff the paint.

I don't want to buy an entire kit just a couple of pieces or spray to protect the bags.

Last edited:
Bike
'2014 Yamaha Super T
STOC #
Perfect timing for this update as I am looking to find the best protection as well. I want to load dry bags on top of the saddle bags but don't want to scratch or scuff the paint.

I don't want to buy an entire kit just a couple of pieces or spray to protect the bags.
A simple solution for temporary protection for strapping dry bags on your saddle bags is to use strips of 2" clear adhesive packing tape trimmed to fit the top of the bag to cover any painted area that needs protection. After the trip simply remove the tape and polish the bag. I have been using this method for 15 years to strap sleeping bags to my ST1100 bags on camping trips for up to 3 weeks with no damage to the top of the saddle bags. Window cleaner sprayed on the bag can be used to position the tape and squeegee the air bubbles out if you're particular about the looks. Since the dry bags cover the tape while traveling and it's temporary I don't worry about the air bubbles under the tape.

Cut pieces of packing tape are also good to protect the straps of my tank bag from wearing on the paint of the faux gas tank cover at sharp corners. After the trip, remove the tape.

Don

Bike
2005 ST1300
Never would have thought of that, thanks Don!

I will still need a long term solution for boot scuff marks.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
I know this is an old thread, but I'm interested to hear from those that have used the different products, what experiences you have had and how is it holding up?

It looks like I'll be taking my newly plastic-ed 2010 out on this week long trip in September and I would like to protect the paint the best I can.

Thanks!
My tankslapper covers haven't come off my tank at all. They have held up fantastically. I've removed them a few times, cleaned them, and slapped 'em back on. Great product.

However, since the company is so terrible I started ordering Snider's Paint Guard from Aerostich. Works better, IMO, and is more pliable.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
...However, since the company is so terrible ...
What seems to be their problem?

The reason I ask is because they are close by here and I saw Fred had them apply it, I was thinking of having them put it on for me...

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
What seems to be their problem?

The reason I ask is because they are close by here and I saw Fred had them apply it, I was thinking of having them put it on for me...
I tried to contact them several times with no response. Honestly, I figured they'd gone out of business.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
I think the Snider's is the way I will go, thanks for the tip!
My pleasure. I've had best results with the same method of application as Tankslapper recommends. Isopropyl/water in a small spray bottle. Old credit card with soft velcro wrapped on the working edge.

Top Bottom