Digital display freaked out after washing

Bike
ST1300
Last week I washed my ST then went for a ride, when I stopped for fuel I noticed that after I turned off the ignition and had removed the key, my instrument panel was flashing off and on, I re started the bike and it came on steady as it should, rode a few miles, turned it off and same flashimg, it did this untill I assume what ever it was that had gotten wet had dryed out, ever heard of this? first Honda that I've ever owned that wasn't water proof.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I had that happen once while riding in 4 days of rain. Must be some water dripping somewhere that caused a short. It stopped soon and has never happened again.

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #
I had a similar problem on my 04 and discovered if I turned on the emergency flashers (even with the ignition off) the dash display stopped flickering. I assume the left bar switch gear was the problem so I used some contact cleaner on the rocker switches and a little WD 40 and have not had a problem since. I now avoid power washes as that may have caused the original problem. Bucket and sponge from now on! Marty

After it sat in the rain and high winds all Sun afternoon in the parking lot at the Indy GP, I returned to my ?04 to find the instrument panel flashing faintly, similar to the reports in this thread. My question to you guys who had the same problem is; do you still believe it was only a temporary moisture issue or did it turn out to be the start of some other electrical problem?

Bike
ST13
I just experienced this same issue on my '04 after washing with hose at home. Had not read this and didn't think to try the flashers. I rode it a few miles & still had the problem so I disconnected the battery (I did try my soft buttons for fuel, clock and trip odometer with no impact as well as hi/lo beam). Later in the evening and all was normal. I'll try the flashers if it ever recurs - may even clean the switch as Marty did.

I have experienced this several times on my '02 ST1300. If I wash the instrument area too diligently then the HISS light starts to flicker (HISS is the Honda immobiliser system built in to European STs) and the fuel, clock, temperature panel flickers very dimly, i.e. it's just about visible with the ignition off. The first time it happened I was rather concerned but I now know it will stop when the bike dries out and there are no ill-effects. Last time I had the headlamp unit off I put silicon grease around the boot protecting the cable going into the instrument panel but this had no effect. I'll give the hazard-flashers a go next time it happens. By the way; I don't use a jet-wash, this happens with just using a bucket and sponge.

It's the turn signal switch that gets wet and causes that problem. Bugged me for a couple of years before I got unlazy and tracked down the problem.

I drilled a 1/16" hole in the bottom of the plastic assembly to let the water drain out and squirted a bit of silicone grease inside the contact area and presto, problem fixed.

Of course YMMV

Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
Yet again, this forum has saved me much hassle and probably cash too. Had exactly the same trouble last night, but it had flattened the battery. Read this thread, put the bike in the storeroom at work, turned the heating up and opened up the LH handlebar switch. In the morning, problem had gone.

Thanks guys :bow1:

Last edited:
Bike
1&2 2005 ST1300ABS's
STOC #
When I wash my ST, the water pressure around the display, handlebars and the SMC has the same pressure that comes out of a Windex spray bottle. Actually, come to think about it, you can call it a mist of water also.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I would never use a hose to wash my bike and for those that use pressure washers - YIKES!! Even a hose is putting out more water, at a force greater than any rainfall, and water is bound to get into places that are best kept as dry as possible, like wire connectors. A clean wash rag, mostly rung out and rinsed frequently and then drying with a soft towel works well.

8-BALL

GeriatricMutantNinja Norwegian
Bike
ST1300 - NT700
STOC #
Searched for "Display Flicker" and found this thread.... posts are right on the button.

After a hose rinse - with the key off - display fluttered, when I turned either indicator (watching to many R J central London MC vids) it stopped. Same when I turned on the flashers. Dried out after going 30 miles. Nice to have a site were the mysterious can be explained. Think I will put plastic bags over the switches for the next wash (next year). :D

Thanks,

DAC ><>

Top Bottom