• Laam

Votes: 7 0.7%
  • Motorcycle Dave

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
Bike
2004 ST1300
Best Seat?

I will be watching this one very closely, as I have a stock seat and absolutely hate it. I really don't understand how I got the bike home from 1400 miles away in 2 days. Maybe thats my problem, I haven't recovered yet.
5"10" 190 pounds. I'm not going to vote as I have only experienced the stock seat. BUT IT WILL BE THE MOST IMPORTANT FARKLE ON THE BIKE. I love everything else about this machine. JR has graciously offered to help modify the stock seat. I will be taking him up on this offer. More info to come, LOVE this site.

STOC #
You needed an "other" category. I currently run a Saddlemen (Travelcade) Stealth saddle (with Gel inserts) for my '93 ST1100. It put me a little lower than the stock seat, is comfortable, and the craftsmanship was fine. I like the gel insert, but it really heats up when left in the sun for any amount of time. I've got to find shade anytime I park in the summer, or seek out sun in the winter (heated seats!).

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
stock seat only because I haven't got enough insight into what options would best suit me. Getting lower to the ground would a first priority.

bs

Bike
04 ST-1300
:04biker: Had a Sargent on a 96 ST1100, after returning twice, it was just OK. Bought my 04 used, and it came with a Corbin. When you first climb on, it feels great, after an hour or more I would have to get off. Corbins look great, but there is nothing custom about them. Bought a stock pan to send to Russell, best seat ever, although I thought their customer service could use some work. You can ride literally ride all-day, and not think twice about climbing back on...... I'm sold on this one..

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I Pulled this Poll into the seat section, it's an old one and didn't have Spencer listed so I added that, let me know if there are other seat options I need to add to allow for what you have and since you can now withdraw your vote, you can change your original selection.

I have a corbin that came with my bike when I bought it and cannot ride for more than 100 miles without having to stop. I am 6'2 260 so I do have a lot of weight on it but they guy I bought it from is about 5'8 180 and bought the closeup version of the seat which actually has my legs riding against the fairing. I would love to try another model to make memore comfortable.

Papa Ritch

Ritch Davis
Bike
09 SilverWing
STOC #
I like my stock seat with a sheep pad, I also have a Corbin heated seat , I only use in the winter. It to hard for long ride. Ritch :03biker:

Bike
ST 1300
Spencer seat with the alaska buttpad..........works just fine...the key I find to rising this bike is to get off about every hunderd miles for a few minutes and stretch.your legs..some of the butt discomfort I'm sure comes from the legs being tucked up a little...this is not meant as a dig to anyone but overall we are an older group and the old body aint what it use to be.....Geoff......61 years old.

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
Well...I have a hybrid on my ST1100.

I bought a Spencer that had the pillion flattened out for placing gear on it. It would work for a passenger, but only for a short ride.

It forced me forward into the tank.

SO...I got Spencer to do a mod and he fixed the problem and definitely improved the seat.
:shout1: AND HE IS A GREAT PERSON TO DEAL WITH - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! :bow1: :bow1: :bow1: :bow1: :bow1:

Therefore, I have a Sargent/Spencer.

I must admit, as much as I like this seat - the comments about the Russell make me curious. One of these days I'll find an ST1100 with a Russell that I can at least sit on.

Meanwhile, life is good and my bottom feels fine.

DJDixon

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
STOC #
Spencer with the Alaskian sheepskin. Hope to send in my stock seat to be modified by Spencer with the LD mod, right now it's just a regular Spencer seat.

I have the stock seat front and rear, Spencer modified seat front and rear and another rear seat with Utopia backrest. I use the Spencer front seat with the Utopia rear right now...

Bike
05' ST1300A
Spencer seat with custom sheepskin.
Second the motion that Spencer's a Super Guy to deal with. Shame he doesn't have a Honda Dealership. (Yet?) He'd be Overwhelmed with business!
Ed

STOC #
I just dropped my order for a Russell in the mail today. In a couple of months I'll be cruising in comfort. At least I'd better be or I want all that money back.

H20SKIER

Bob
Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
ST1100 have a Corbin and a stock, ordering a Russell and putting the Corbin with passenger backrest on E-Bay. I like the Corbin but I want to be able to go farther with less pain.

pretbek

Ŵΐļļ ŗĭδέ ∫ỗґ Ŧщịştịέş
Bike
Super Tenere
STOC #
I gots me a Corbin on my ST1100 which I believe is very different from the ones on the ST1300, because it is very comfy, not notoriously hard at all...

It has been "rebuilt", according to the previous owner. Now I don't know if that means re-made into what it was originally after wear and tear, or re-done to change it to be nice and comfy which it perhaps wasn't in the beginning.

Bike
05' ST1300A
"By that time the velour was washed out so bad that I decided to have it covered in leather."

Bob,
What exactly do you mean by "washed out"?
I had a Velour seat made by Diamond for over 10 years and 60,000 miles, and it still looked almost new when I sold it (even the stitching). It was black, and I did use a raincover most of the time, when in a downpour.
I thought about a velour Russell, but not if it's wore out in 2,600 miles.
Ed

I currently have a sargent. I like how it looks and it is comfortable for about 2 or so hours of ride time. After that it feels like the vinyl covered foam transmorgifies into cast-iron over concrete block. After that point it does not seem to matter how many breaks I take or even how long the breaks are, the seat is just plain uncomfortable on my arse.

I'm open to suggestions

Byron

STOC #
I've put several thousand miles on three seats; stock, Sargent and Bill Mayer. I picked up the all leather Bill Mayer (BMS) from eBay so it is not made for me specifically but it is still my seat of choice for overall comfort. From what I can tell the seat was made for someone shorter than me and I'm 5' 8" with 30" inseam. I run it with the front adjuster in the middle and the rear on the lowest to minimize the slide forward affect. It does seem to have more heat get by the area at the tank because there is no extra material like the stock or Sargent seat. It is the overall comfort winner though.

The Sargent is second. It is pretty good but feels flat by comparison and it is flatter and wider than the Bill Mayer. It also has a slight ridge that hits the underside of my leg that over time gets to me. It doesn't stop me from riding by any stretch of the imagination. It's just there is a pressure spot there that isn't there with the stock or Bill Mayer seat.

I put over 10,000 miles on the stock seat before giving anything else a try. For me it was shaped right but just to soft.

Last edited:
Bike
2004 ST1300
Spencer seat mod update: I now have nearly 28K on this seat, and I still love it. Works great for me as a daily commute (40 mile 1 way) and good up to 1K non-stoppers.
Thanks once again Spencer!

Viggo

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 Goldwing
STOC #
Being frugal (aka cheap bastid) I modified my stock seat myself. Stripped the vinyl off, carved out a chunk of the stock foam and replaced it with a chunk of memory foam. That did the trick for me, changing from discomfort in less than 100 miles to all day comfort. I also have a full sheepskin that I cut and sewed to perfectly fit the seats and usually wear bike shorts with a little padding.

Top Bottom