Article [11] ST1100 - 40 Amp Upgrade

STOC #
Re: ST1100 40 Amp Upgrade

Thanks for very well detailed write up and photos including your hardships along the way. I am considering an alt change soon, and I find this very helpful. Thanks for all your hard work and time it took to write this up.

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #

Joe

Thank you for the post and the work involved. My '93 has a few more miles on it than your '91 did, but I hear the clock ticking. Tic, Tic, Tic. I'm sure your post will help me considerably. Thanks again.

STOC #

I was fortunate that my system was replaced, but they replaced it with the 28 amp. I'm still wanting to do the 40 amp upgrade. Just need the extra power.

Great document! If there is any inside advice you have, please let us know.

Cheers,
Adam

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #

Joe, good write-up and great pictures. Should'a had yur helper take one just as the 40-amper slid through that tight hole. :D

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #

All, John Oo's alt. upgrade tool kit is available. Write him at STGhOOST@aol.com

Kit has _all_ the special tools and very good documentation. I've used it three times myself.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #

Still Fiddln,

Get the kit. Call me, have ST, will travel.
Oh, hey, I have competition now!

If ya want yur upgrade performed by the _original_ traveling upgrader, be sure to contact cattmando@gmail.com! _5_ upgrades performed in _5_ states with no end in sight. Have _2_ STs, will travel.

Paladin, San Francisco

(oops, I mean)

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #

My friend and fellow SSMSTrider, George Catt, notes my alt upgrade loaner tool kit and email address:
All, John Oo's alt. upgrade tool kit is available. Write him at STGhOOST@aol.com

Kit has _all_ the special tools and very good documentation. I've used it three times myself.
Hello All,

As George knows, I'm always glad to loan fellow ST1100 riders my 40amp alternator upgrade tool kit. I've met a lot of real nice folks doing so for all these years. 58 successful upgrades to date using my tools and the accompanying documentation.

However, before emailing me to ask for the kit, please go here and read all about the details first:

http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=545.0

You'll have to sign up to read this tool loaner post, but if you're riding an ST1100 you owe it to yourself and your STeed to at least check out the largeST and moST knowledgeable group of ST1100 riders on the planet.

BTW, there are posts in the same sub-forum/board for other R&R loaner tool kits, including steering stem races/bearings, fork seals, wheel bearings, and valve shims.

Regards, John

Last edited:

rulbe

Site Supporter
Bike
Africa Twin AS
STOC #

I want to thank John for the use of the alternator upgrade kit! Just completed the upgrade this weekend. The instructions were great and allows you to accomplish upgrade with ease!

Now the wife's ST is ready for any accessory we add to it!

Thanks again John and all those that contributing to the kit and instructions to make this upgrade possible! :D
Randy

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #

I want to thank John for the use of the alternator upgrade kit! Just completed the upgrade this weekend. The instructions were great and allows you to accomplish upgrade with ease!

Now the wife's ST is ready for any accessory we add to it!

Thanks again John and all those that contributing to the kit and instructions to make this upgrade possible! :D
Randy
Congratulations, Randy! Your upgrade was number 59 with one of the STOC tool kits. Your wife's a lucky lady! :)

Just a reminder for those considering the ST1100 40 amp alternator upgrade - go to the ST-Riders ST1100 Archive Of Wisdom (AOW) for everything you need to know about doing this great upgrade/fix (incl videos!):

http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=942.0

Like Randy and Tom and Joe and Keith and George above, you'll be in good company.

Regards, John

Last edited:
STOC #
ST1100 40 Amp Upgrade Oct 2009 ABQ, NM

George from Kingman, AZ came over & we got started about 9AM.
I had everything right up to pulling the old alternator done by then.
We also had John's toolkit.

I had ordered the full list of parts as published on ST-Owners. Didn't use several new o-rings.
The Honda Fuse block comes with 2 fuses even though the list includes a spare.

We cut the sheet metal cover as shown in the diagrams. It may have gone on without cutting.
We ground off the lower lip on the left-most brake-line bracket (after bending it up) for just a little more room.

The Lewis pin worked like a charm. I never removed the lower fairing or the shift lever.
Nothing really out of the ordinary when comparing the other write-ups.
It may be in the book, but I didn't find torque specs in the folder, specially in ft-lbs.
My torque wrench was in ft-lbs and KG/Meters not Newton/Meters.
I printed a torque spec sheet (ft-lbs) from the Web and tucked it in the book.
Not finding the new bearing right away in all the packing peanuts, we almost tried re-using the older bearing.
It looked the same but ended up not using it.
Really, it all went off as well as can be expected. John & I rode out early next morning without a hitch.
I tossed my Locktite Blue in the box for the next upgrade.
Total was about $600 in parts. I think it could be done in 1 day.

Top Bottom