MotoGP Shift

I switched over to a MotoGP shift pattern on my ST to match my track bike (so i wouldn't have to try to remember which bike i was on in an emergency). We are fortunate that with the ST the switch was quite simple (no new parts needed). It makes it so much easier and smoother to shift, especially when turning left from a stop, say at an intersection, when you need to upshift before completing the turn...

Once you go GP, you won't go back. It's great.

OP
OP
Yup...would suspect you just flip the arm on the splined shaft, dunno?

+1 Absolutely correct!! just flip it over, and poof! Reverse shift pattern! Sorry guys, i didn't include pics. I'm new:)

With this pattern it is so much easier to preload shifter; toe not caught down between peg and ground in turns; more intuitive = pop up out of crouch as you approach brake marker and as you come up, pull up with toe; as you roll on throttle, hunker down behind shield, you push down on shifter instead of pulling up against your rapid forward motion...quite nice, if i may say:)

Gonzo

3/4 Century of Trivia
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
1 up, 3 down.

Well, this was the pattern on my old Triumphs and BSA, although the shifter was on the right side.

Somebody decided (I can't remember who) to make motorcycles all standard so the shifter was moved to the left side, but also:

It was decided that pushing down on either pedal would result is slowing down in an emergency. This was mostly important for newer, less experienced riders.

gonzo

abhijitz

Radiuz
Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
waking up the thread, am very interested. i keep messing shifts cause my trackbike is set GP style...

the shifter goes beneath the frame. How will there be a easy access to the linkage? Do i need to lift the bike on a jack stand. Any one has written steps with pics please?

Thanks

nt650hawk

Gino
Bike
2006 ST1300
Bump...

seeing i'm new to the ST. I was wondering if this could be performed as i have not had a chance to dig into her yet.

For me this makes much more sense as a Racer BUT and have also found to achieve more positive up shifts as the ankle has less strength than just dropping the weight on the shifter. Also on downshifts I find the flick with the weak ankle is enough. The Transmission then rolls and locks it into place. just my 2 useless cents . newb out

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
This preference makes sense if like the two (three?) members mentioned there's a second bike and they want to unify the pattern.

I'd just opine that ankle strength should absolutely be irrelevant in a properly maintained bike. And if the shifter is adjusted to your ergos. My footpegs are a little lower than stock so there's more travel to upshift. I haven't got round to dropping the lever by one spline.

My Duc had the shift lever on the right side but I don't remember if it was 1 down/3 up or 1 up/3 down. Previously I only had Hondas and had a 750-4 at the same time as the Duc. Acclimation was quick.

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
I don't really see the need for this on a bike like the ST, other than if you also have a track bike and want to keep the same pattern to make it easier for you.

Not a common occurance on a sport-touring street bike. ;)
Sez you.......:evil:

Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS
Woot!! Just when I was gonna flip my ZRX1200 back the regular shift, I can keep it and change the ST!! I've pulled up to a stop sign in 5th a few times..:rolleyes:

nt650hawk

Gino
Bike
2006 ST1300
While I was working on the clutch slave I just flipped the gear shift arm and flipped the speed sensor assembly so the wire come in from the top. DONE. I cant wait to feel normal again!

Bike
R1200rt
I switched over to a MotoGP shift pattern on my ST to match my track bike (so i wouldn't have to try to remember which bike i was on in an emergency). We are fortunate that with the ST the switch was quite simple (no new parts needed). It makes it so much easier and smoother to shift, especially when turning left from a stop, say at an intersection, when you need to upshift before completing the turn...

Once you go GP, you won't go back. It's great.
When I first started riding I owned a 750 Norton Commando and a Honda 250 dirt bike. The Commandos shifter is on the right side. Try jumping between the 2 bikes often. Somehow it never seemed to bother me.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Al st1100 said:
The Commandos shifter is on the right side.
Same on my Duc 750 Sport. Took a little bit to get used to. But once done there was never a second though needed.

My first experience from wrong-side upside-down shifting was with an H-D. Nothing bad happened but the back end got pretty squirrelly. I was much more careful when I later got the Duc.

I don't really see the need for this on a bike like the ST, other than if you also have a track bike and want to keep the same pattern to make it easier for you.

Not a common occurance on a sport-touring street bike. ;)
Hey man it's called sport Touring for a reason. Sounds like you need a golden wing with that thought process

Top Bottom