Throttle problem

STOC #
My 04' has developed a problem that only happens when she is real hot. It initially shows up as a little hesitation when the throttle is turned. 5-15 mins later it loses power and when you open the throttle appx. 3/4 she will run better but not good. As this progresses over the next 1/2 hour it is more and more difficult to keep her running by twisting the throttle.

At highway speeds she is barely manageable to keep running but the road speed will keep her going with a lot of twisting the throttle. The on/ off action of the throttle is so violent that running in lower gears can be very exciting/ dangerous! It almost feels like something cutting the ignition on/ off or an issue with the TPS (throttle position sensor) getting confused when it gets real hot.

If I shut off the ignition it will run normal for 10-20 miles and then it starts over. Once she cools down for an hour she will run normal. Does the ST13 have error codes? Maybe it is recording this issue. Right now I'm 300 miles from home (in STL) and going to start home early Sunday with the hope that the cool morning will help.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I'll try and get into the Dealer next week but it will be real hard to diagnose something that is not happening unless she has been run hard for 3-5 hours.

Time2Sleep
Neil S.

Last edited by a moderator:

Byron

STOC #
Since your out of your normall area is it possible you got some H2O with one of your last fill ups?

The bike will store error codes but I'm not familiar with their retrieval.

The only other thing I can think of is stopping the bike with the kill switch, which if I remember correctly will have the ECM start fresh with the next start. If it has had a hicup it should clear it and run fine.

To late for me to think of anything else.

Last edited:

Hashimoto

I Hate Snow
Bike
2006 ST-1300
STOC #
I'm sorry to say I don't have any helpful ideas. :shrug2:
Please let us know what the trouble is once you get it sorted out.

OP
OP
ccryder
STOC #
I can rule out bad gas since it has happened on different tanks of gas at widely seperated intervals and, on almost empty and completely full. I have tried opening the gas cap to try and eliminate the venting factor. I don't have a vacuum cruise control so those issues are eliminated. I do notice that my MPG drops to the low 20's (normally runs in the mid 40's).

FWIW: Engine mods:
TCT FPR
K&N
Staintunes
Replaced battery 5 weeks ago (Had same problem before replacement)

I have tried to kill and restart the engine while moving, by the ignition key. I will try it next time with the kill switch.

Thanks
Neil

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
A vacuum leak can give some of these symptoms.
But, I don't see any of your modifications affecting vacuum.

You can get the error code by using Jeff's technique (thanks Jeff!).

Good luck!
Mark

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
i would try to put in the stock FPR back in and see if the problem clears up. sounds like its getting to much fuel. pull the plugs and see if they are black indicating a very rich mixture.
mike

OP
OP
ccryder
STOC #
Mike, I thought about the FPR but, the symptoms are too on/ off for them to be a result of the FPR. If the bike had drivability issues sluggish, low power, slow to fire it could be the FPR loosing it's setting. FPR's are pretty simple devices: Spring, diaphram and a little vacuum ( I used to manufacture about 15k/ day FPR's for GM back in the 90's). When you have higher vacuum ie: closed throttle, it reduces the fuel pressure otherwise you might run rich in that scenario.

This could be coils breaking down, crankshaft sensor, TPS or mass flow sensor being affected by the heat. Maybe an O2 sensor, althought most EFI systems have a limp home mode if the 02's are not reaading correctly.

I'm still in STL, spending time with my 85 yo Mom. I'll head back to BNA tomorrow AM, early.

Neil S.

OP
OP
ccryder
STOC #
22Jul07 Update:
If anything Indigo is consistant. In 80deg weather she ran for ~200 miles on the interstate and then stared loosing some power (throttle reaction getting soft, like going up a steep grade) and then 5 miles later she would just fall on her face and cut out at anything less than 3/4 throttle. I tried the kill switch approach (fun while riding 75-80 mph) and she went back to close to normal for 3-5 miles and then would just about stall unless the throttle was at 3/4.

I'll give the dealer a shout and see what the Service Manger thinks. Anybody else got any ideas? I even tried running with my secondary circuits turned off (HID, XM, GPS ) but she acted the same.

Thx
Neil S.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
my money is still on a vacuum leak. It can look like a computer failure (Rod Hephner had an issue with a vacuum line to a cruise control) until the leak is found.

I have read that people hunt for vacuum leaks by spraying wd40 and listening for idle speed/engine noise changes.

Mark

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Your problem sounds like a fuel issue and not an electrical problem. If you have some way to connect a pressure gauge to the fuel system after the filter, that will indicate whether or not the fuel pressure is eratic. Causes are most likely a fuel pump or obstruction in the filter or injector(s). I don't think a vacuum leak would be as severe as you indicate (not running up to 3/4 throttle) unless it was on 2 or more throttle bodies.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ccryder
STOC #
The Service Mgr is out until Wednesday so I'll keep riding till then. I hope I can get in and have them check for error codes. If none show up then I'll try and get the bike to act up at the dealer. If we can't determine from the codes what's happening, I'll do some diagnostics myself.

From past EFI experience, voltage output of the TPS could create these issues. Since I have replaced the battery and don't seem to have any charging issues, I'll start checking connections.

Gut feel says....... TPS connector is corroded or the TPS is failing to send the correct signal when it gets HOT. I have had a similar experience with a Buell that acted very similar, except for the heat issue. Same drivability issue and same 3/4 throttle on/ off response. The TPS was trying to tell the rest of the EFI that it was not getting proper voltage. That was due to a failed stator and I was running on battery only. Batteries only last sooo long and then their voltage drops. EFI systems need a certain minimum voltage otherwise they don't kow what is really going on. That's my guess and I'm sticking to it, for now.

Neil S.

DeSTy

King of the Bling
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
If the TPS was faulty or giving incorrect readings, the FI light would be lit or blinking.

I'm going with the FPR being faulty or a air leak to the FPR vacuum line.

OP
OP
ccryder
STOC #
Dave, Desty:

I agree with both of you. I have been in contact with some of the "Pros" around and they also think it's fuel pressure related or, maybe a vapor lock scenario. Since I'm not that familiar with the OBD on the Honda I will have to bow to the experience of others. I have heard that I am not the only one that has had similar issues.

Possible issues:
Fuel filter (limiting flow to fuel pump, changed Jan06')
Fuel Pump (due to age not pumping as well as new and even less flow when hot)

Today I will contact my Svc Mgr and see what he thinks and what course of action he deems necessary. Hopefully they have the portable scan equipment that they can hook up and ride with.

More to follow.

Neil S.

OP
OP
ccryder
STOC #
Update: Talked with SM and feels it is fuel pump or vacuum related. 1st he wants to check fuel pressure when the engine is HOT, HOT, HOT and trying to mess up. He feels it could be something like the pump impeller spinning on the shaft when it gets REAL hot. He will also try and check output (cc/ min).

One interesting note: Since the pump is part of the emissions system it would be covered under the 5 year emissions law, if the pump is working and you are have driveability issues or emission issues. If you turn the key on and the fuel pump does not work, it is not covered by the emissions law since you cannot drive the bike and it does not effect the driveability. Speaking about picking the fly **** out of the pepper!!!

Tomorrow PM I'm running Indigo down to the Dealer and she will be HOT.

More2Follow
Neil S.

Just out of curiosity... has the tank been up lately to change the air filter? If so, it's possible that the vent tube was pinched putting things back together. It's very easy to do and would act like a fuel problem.

I think Mageerc is on to something. You might try to open the fuel cap next time it does it and see what happens.

OP
OP
ccryder
STOC #
No the fuel tank has not been raised since the filter change in Mar 06'. At that time I was very careful to inspect the condition of the fuel tube.

I tried the open the fuel cap trick to see if it was a venting problem but to no help. This condition exists on a full tank or almost empty and anywhere in between. It has been my experience that a cap venting issue will be much worse when the tank is almost full, since the air volume is so small. I have not disassembled the fuel cap to ascertain the venting.

Hopefully this PM I can get Indigo to "cough and sputter" for the Dealer so they can try and diagnose the problem. Last Tuesday PM on the way home, she acted up in less than 45 mins and continued after 2 cool downs. Fortunately I was able to make enough miles after the cool downs to get home.

More Later
Neil S.

OP
OP
ccryder
STOC #
26Jul07 Update:
Well after riding 40 miles to the Dealer and then another 60 miles up and down 840 (70 mph by-pass) 10 miles at a time, I finally got Indigo to act up. I headed the few remaining miles to the Dealer and got their Lead Technician to see/ hear/ feel what Indigo was doing. He grabbed his helmet and then thought..... what happens if it gets worse and leaves him stranded? I assured him that after a 10 min cool down he could get back.

He ran Indigo up and down the 4 lane in front of the Dealer and I could hear her acting up and see him holding on tight during the 7000 RPM surges (cute little 6" wheelies too). 3 trips back and forth, he decided that she had a problem.

His take is that it is electrical, probably ignition. Could be something as simple as plug caps, or not. He was very impressed with the pull it had when it kicked in at the 3/4 throttle. :eek: He even knew what an "E" ticket ride was!

Indigo is spending, at least the night, at the Dealer. They will give me a shout tomorrow and let me know how she is behaiving.

My garage ls sooo empty tonight. :(

Later
Neil S.

Top Bottom