Non-ABS to ABS conversion

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
We get asked about adding or removing the ABS or linking about once a year, and as far as I know, nobody's ever been past the plotting and scheming stage. The original poster of this thread hasn't been back here for a visit since 2010, so it's probably safe to say that this project didn't happen for him.

I don't recommend it, but if you're truly bent on doing this, leave room in your budget for front and rear wheels. The wheels on non-ABS bikes don't have the castings to hold the tone wheels.

You might also check whether this modification will result in a MOT failure. A sharp-eyed inspector may notice the ABS hardware on a bike with a VIN that says it isn't supposed to be there.

Also consider whether or not making this modification will make the bike more difficult to sell or expose you to legal liability if you don't disclose it to the buyer.

--Mark

technotony007

Marvellous !
Bike
2005 Pan Euro ST1300
Hi mark ,
Thanks for your advice and feedback. I have checked the wheels against the microfiche. And the part numbers for both wheels are the same... The only difference is the pulsar rings which are a bolted on affair.

no sure what you mean by tone wheels ..?

the parts which are needed to do this in theory are a basic substitute against abs and non abs in the overall parts list.

its not rocket science!!

I am still going to try this as these are mass produced machines on a production line , so I don't believe that Honda would find it cost effective to build a machine that would be vastly different.

I am still going to try to it thou and hopefully prove it is simply a bolt on extra that most people could do who are competent enough.

as long as the parts I buy work , it should be straight forward ..... Fingers crossed.

since that post , but I have purchased ...

abs ecu -?18
front abs sensor - ?25
rear abs sensor - ?25

all I need now is the rear modulator , and the main harness to finish ... I think.

once I have these I will revert with a update or if I have completed my mission or failed miserably

time me will tell in the end ....

With egards to selling the bike , I probably won't as like my bike too much already

regards

tony

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I know on the ST1100, there is an extra ABS wiring harness, the front forks are larger, different front wheel, the fairing stay is different, rear hub is different - just a few of the changes. Maybe on the ST1300 they did not make as many changes. I will be interested to see how the project turns out for you.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I have checked the wheels against the microfiche. And the part numbers for both wheels are the same...
For North American bikes in 2004, I show 44650-MCS-940 (superseded by 44650-MCS-305) for the non-ABS front wheel and 44650-MCS-760 (superseded by 44650-MCS-306) for the ABS. The ABS wheel (again, on this side of the pond) has a different casting and three additional threaded holes machined into it. Rest-of-the-world bikes may be different; I don't have easy access to a fiche for them.

The only difference is the pulsar rings which are a bolted on affair. no sure what you mean by tone wheels ..?
Different term for the same thing.

Let us know how you fare. I don't doubt it can be done.

--Mark

technotony007

Marvellous !
Bike
2005 Pan Euro ST1300
Hi guys ,

Bought my abs specific harness now for 45 .

all my I need now , is the rear modulator and I should be good to go.

once I have this I start the changeover and update again with wether it's straight forward or not.

regards

tony

Top Bottom