Question for ST1300 owners that have removed the inner cowling

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I removed my inner cowling a couple of weeks ago. At first, I tried cutting slots in it to try to cool things down a bit. After not seeing much results from that, I removed the cowling altogether like so many others have done. That did seem to make a bit of a difference.

My question is, I seem to notice that the radiator fan is running more regularly since removing the cowling (it could be my imagination), regardless of the ambient temperature and especially in city driving. My temp gage shows 3 bars at all times after the engine is warmed up. My coolant reserve tank is at the correct level.

I am getting ready to ride to Canada and am considering re-installing the inner cowling for the trip thinking that having removed it might be compromising the volume of air getting to the radiator and making the bike run a little hotter. What are your thoughts?

Brad

I remember a couple, more than one, of forum members who posted that they had completely removed the cowls, and they have been off for years now, with zero consequences. I used a one inch hole saw and drilled out
hole on each side that is up tight with the fairing storage areas, this cooled them to virtually air temp. At same time I drilled another four holes in the plastic to promote good cooling air, but elected to install them this way rather than leave them off completely. I bought the argument that they retain the structural integrity of the fairing, probably no harm done either way.

3 bars on the temp. gauge is NORMAL, if it isn't 3 bars, or it takes LONGER than usual to get to 3 bars, that is when you have a problem. It takes my bike about 2.5 miles to get to 3 bars (even in the dead of SC Winters)

I have not taken off the right cowl YET, but I can tell a difference in the amount of heat, it is MUCH hotter on the right side. I will need to take the right cowl off before I can be 100% certain that taking the cowls off does indeed make a difference.

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
My question is, I seem to notice that the radiator fan is running more regularly since removing the cowling (it could be my imagination), regardless of the ambient temperature and especially in city driving. My temp gage shows 3 bars at all times after the engine is warmed up. My coolant reserve tank is at the correct level.

I am getting ready to ride to Canada and am considering re-installing the inner cowling for the trip thinking that having removed it might be compromising the volume of air getting to the radiator and making the bike run a little hotter. What are your thoughts?

Brad

Your radiator fan probably is running more regularly without the cowling. This makes sense since there is less air going through the radiator as it now has the ability to go around it. Your temp gauge will read 3 bars all the time once the engine is warmed up and your thermostat is functioning. 3 bars is not a specific temperature but a range of temeratures. No need to worry about the bike running a little hotter, especially if you are going into cooler weather. Even in hot weather, the engine temperature won't run hotter, the thermostat will just be open more often and/or the fans will run more.

There was a post some time back from someone that had experimented in cooler weather with removing the inner cowls while they had an open thermostat. The findings shown the bike would warm up to 3 bars without the inner cowls in place but would only get to 2 bars with the cowls in place. The test was repeatable, demonstrating less air going through the radiator without the cowls in place. This should be no surprise. Is it enough less to create a problem? Apparently not since people around the country have removed them and haven't experienced an overheating problem.

Ray

OP
OP
bradf
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Your radiator fan probably is running more regularly without the cowling. This makes sense since there is less air going through the radiator as it now has the ability to go around it.
I think that is indeed the case. I think I'll put them back on.

Brad

Bike
FJR1300
STOC #
Brad,

Ray's post above is spot-on. Removing the cowls allows for significantly less heat reaching the rider, (but drilling holes in them really doesn't change anything) with the only side effect being the radiator fans running a little more often in stop-and-go traffic. Big deal. I ran my ST13 over 30K miles without the cowls in temps from the 20's to over 100ºF with no adverse effects whatsoever.

Once again, the old heat debate. And I've been part of many as a current '04 FJR rider looking for a new mount. Love the ST but not going to deal with the heat... Beemers (ecck!) or GW here I come!

Bike
Honda ST1300
I will agree that removing the inner cowls could reduce the amount of air going through the radiator, but keep in mind a few other things. 1. Increasing the general airflow over the engine overall will help cool the engine. 2. Many other motorcycles have radiators without the air being channelled through the radiator and still keep the engine quite cool. 3. No matter what structures are around the radiator, the airflow is restricted. It can only handle so much airflow. Any excess will be forced to blow back and go around rather than through the inner part of the bike.

I have removed the cowls this year. No heat problem even at 102 degrees. The fan was running, but it has never gone over 3 bars.

Hope the extra info helps. I have also removed the tip over bar covers to increase airflow. Storage pockets do not overheat.

Have a good ride today.

LZ

I did a search and couldn't find the answer; at what speed/gear does the rad. fans come on. I'm thinking that the fans may not come on above a certain speed/gear, me thinks the Gold Wing operated this way.

Just remove the cowling and go drive it. The fan is doing just what it was designed to do. Move air thru the radiator. I have never seen more that 3 bars.

AW

Bike
2010 ST1300
Sorry to bring this up, I installed the audiovox cruise control, went ok. Can't seem to figure out how to install the inner cowlings, Do they install after the middle cowling. Any help or pictures would be awesome. Planning on re installing the stick units.

Thanks

Bike
2010 ST1300
I do have the service manual, the small hand drawn figures are difficult to read
Thanks

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
Bike
'09 Red ST1300.
I am fairly new to my '09 ST1300 and here in NE Florida cool weather is the exception, not the norm. What cowls are being discussed here and does removing them and/or opening holes in them decrease the amount of heat experienced by the rider? I had to put rubber pads where my knees land as they were getting burned. Are we talking about the black cover behind the front wheel that obscures vision of the front of the motor? I was trying to remove it for maintenance purposes (mostly to have a look) and found it was not intuitive as to the removal of this piece. Perhaps you are discussing something else as there is just one, not a left/right set. Thanks! Photos would be great.
Peter

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
I am fairly new to my '09 ST1300 and here in NE Florida cool weather is the exception, not the norm. What cowls are being discussed here and does removing them and/or opening holes in them decrease the amount of heat experienced by the rider? I had to put rubber pads where my knees land as they were getting burned. Are we talking about the black cover behind the front wheel that obscures vision of the front of the motor? I was trying to remove it for maintenance purposes (mostly to have a look) and found it was not intuitive as to the removal of this piece. Perhaps you are discussing something else as there is just one, not a left/right set. Thanks! Photos would be great.
Peter
On mine I just cut some slots to match the left side cover. These are the upper covers on each side of the radiator. Some remove them entirely. but not the lower cover just behind the wheel. If you do not have them the Honda lower wind deflectors keep heat off your legs. Tank can get warm especially if you ride with the fuel low. The knee pads help and also the back tank pad helps also.

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
I have also removed the tip over bar covers to increase airflow. Storage pockets do not overheat.

Have a good ride today.

LZ
There doesn't appear to be any specific resolution to the heat problem. We live in the UK where heat is not normally a problem with the ST13, but on our annual Italy/Greece trip where temperatures are generally around the 36 - 40c the heat becomes a major issue - Super heated shin and ankles, and the fuel tank/frame too hot to touch.

In the last couple of years I've tried changing the exhausts from standard to Staintunes to dispense with the cats - no improvement, I then did the inner fairings mod - no improvement, and also this year I removed the crash bar covers but my passenger complained that she was then feeling increased heat, so I replaced them but enlarged the ventilation holes which seemed to help a bit for both of us, but that could just be me hoping for a miracle!

At the end of the day I guess we've just got one of the hot ST13's :/

Bike
06 ST1300A
STOC #
I've ridden almost every day this summer in North Florida without the inner cowls and the only problem I've had was some cutting out in a rain storm. I contributed that to the missing cowls but I don't know for sure. The inner pockets are cooler but that is the only indicator of a difference I've seen.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Mine have been out since 2008 I believe. No overheating or cooling problem. Kept a tiny triangle under the headlight for each side. Right for the temp sensor, both for structural integrity of the fairing.

Bike
"09" ST 1300
I havellined the pockets, fairings and underside of the fuel tank with the thin foil lined self adhesive foam insulation for heat ducts. I also cut substantial holes in each of the inner fairing heat shield and rivited a aluminum soffit vent from Menards with the louvered screened slots. With those facing forward they catch a bit more air and keep out the bugs and debris. This has pretty much eliminated the pocket heat issues. I've also removed the fuel injection system and created a thick rubber bowl inside of the frame rails under the injectors and then used tire vulcanizatoin cement to form the bowl shape. At the top of the frame rails I used black Gorilla tape to secure it around the circumfrence. This way only cool air from the front of the bike comes into the air box area so that the injectors and fuel tank are pretty much isolated from the engine heat. This also cures the heat around the front of the seat area between your legs. I also made rubber flaps that are in the openings around the cylinder head /side glued to the fairing to seal air from coming out of that area. This effecively forces the air under the bike and out the rear making less heat on your legs. Realized there is still the air coming out of the radiators but that is deflected by the air deflector kit to minimize discomfort. I also insulated the headers with header wrap. All of these things have added to the great ride offered by the ST-1300. It took a little work but was well worth the effort and if I purchased a newer one I would do it all over again...

Top Bottom