'07 ST1300 heat Issues??

STOC #
I am finally considering trading in my trusty ol' ST1100 on a new ST1300 (luv that electric windshield). But after hearing all the talk about the heat problems with the 1300, I'm wondering if Honda has finally resolved the issue or is it still there? I am especially concerned as I commute daily into Seattle for work and am subject to a fair ammount of stop & go traffic.

Anyone out there with on '07 ST1300 experiencing any heat problems?

jasonJonas

Saver of Turtles
STOC #
Anyone out there with on '07 ST1300 experiencing any heat problems?
right here, but i wouldn't classify it as a "problem" that would have me sell the bike, but rather as an annoyance that makes me wonder why honda hasn't engineered more heat away from the rider. i expect some heat, but under certain conditions the amount of heat can be excessive and, over a long day in the saddle, wear on the rider. since the st13 is my l-d machine, i'm concerned about anything that zaps my physical energy. i only feel excessive heat from the knees down.

the "certain conditions" that i've identified are in direct proportion to ambient temperatures. when it's above 90F, expect some heat from the knees down. wearing my mesh pants i feel it. not so much if i'm in my riding pants, but then i'm hot all over when it's above 90 and i'm not in my mesh gear. :)

below 90F the heat issue starts to become a non-issue. this past weekend i started out in the morning at 56F and no excessive heat. it was a beautiful thing. as the day went on the temps rose to 98F and the excess heat came right along with it.

i've also experienced different amounts of excess depending on the wind direction, for what it's worth. then you have those that indicate there's no perceived heat issue. i can't and won't argue with them. everyone has different pain thresholds.

being from and doing most of your riding in the northwet, the st13 may be a wonderful choice of rides.

Bike
07 ST1300A
I'm with Jason on this. I commute daily on mine, 100mi round trip. When the temps are high and high humidity, it gets hot. And yeah, I know it's a motor surrounded with tupperware, etc, etc. But I came off a VTX 1800, where the rear cyl and header are right under me, and it didnt make me feel nearly as hot in the same conditions (e.g. stop and go in high temps/humitidy). I plan on trying the starter valve sync soon. Seems a few have had luck with that. If that doesnt help, will wrap the headers this winter. Either way, it hasnt been enough of a negative to make me want to get rid of it.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, pulling the inner cowls adds to the air flow, and reduced the amount of heat. I plan on pulling them during the warmer temps, and reinstalling them in late fall (I ride year round). This alone may be enough to make the heat tolerable for you, as YMMV.

Last edited:
I just bought on 07, and this is just one guy's opinion.

I read with some trepidation all the heat related information before buying mine, so I think I relate to your concerns.

I ride wearing jeans.

If I nestle my legs against the tank area and actually touch the bike, the contact is too uncomfortable to sustain. My legs, my bike - I don't touch the sides unless I do so deliberately so this isn't a crisis for me. If you typically hug with your knees - I would be on red alert (arr rr) in your position (double pun score: 100 point bonus).

In regard to heat flowing through the bodywork to my legs, not an issue for me. No more heat than what my '86 Magna spit out - this goes to having an engine and its gotta go somewhere but nowhere near an issue that causes me concern.

The final heat related observation I have is that the left-side locking compartment will get hot inside. Not the place to store your chocolate bars. Great place to keep your sammich warm.

I've had my bike for 2.5 weeks and ~600 miles to date, so take that into consideration as well.

Cheers,

Kent

Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
The only time I have had any heat issues on mine was when it was 106 degrees and I was in shorts. I just slid my feet out to the end of the foot pegs and I was fine.
Normally I wear jeans or riding pants w/ boots, and it has not been an issue for me.

myhrdly

STOC# 6865
STOC #
The final heat related observation I have is that the left-side locking compartment will get hot inside. Not the place to store your chocolate bars.

Cheers,

Kent

Ahh, but one can keep M&M's in there!! They melt in you mouth, not in your storage compartment!!!!!!!!!!! :crackup

TMUS

MSF Instructor 32 years
Bike
2006 ST1300a(Marvin)
STOC #
:BDH:

:tts1:

:work1:

:beer8:

:squid1:

I feel better now. It's an engine, it produces heat, ride faster, wear long pants and boots as you shold be. :06biker:

I never found my '05 to be very hot for the first year and a half as I live in the northeast and heat is not too big of a problem too often. However when I would swap bikes with other folks on group rides they would all comment on how much heat the ST put out and how they could never own the bike because of the heat. The comments puzzled me because though I did feel some heat it was not unbearable.

That changed on a 1,500 mile round trip when most of the four days were in the 92-98 range. The heat became oppressive and it was nice to get some seat time on other bikes. The heat was so much that it made me sleepy and fatigued.

All bikes have their draw backs. Heat may be one of the ST but it is still an outstanding bike and a decent value if you buy it right. Many folks on this forum live in climates that are warm all year round and they still love their ST's.

jdpfms

JD Power
Bike
ST1300A&FJR1300
I've not read all the replies yet, but I've got an 04. To me it is not a "hot one", but it does have insulation under most of the body panels and seat. I also have the fairing wings. Now on a 100 degree day, it is hot but almost any bike is also. I don't think it matters whether it is an 03 or 07. I doubt Honda has done anything since the introduction of this model about heat.

JDP

I've had my 07 for almost 3 weeks now. I always ride in long pants & boots. It's also been well in the 90s here in inland San Diego County. My ST feels no hotter than my old-style Concours. Really not that noticeable to me. Perhaps I'm just used to it...

This has been the hottest aug. on record here in tenn. the heat off the bike is cooler than outside temp.... so I guess i'll enjoy it while we can,,,, I've been keeping the windshield in the up position to keep heat off ... We are looking forward to winter.

MGDaversa

but you can call me Michael
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I had an '05 and now ride an '07. Both feel about the same to me. Yes, there is definitely some heat, so I wouldn't recommend riding naked, but with jeans and boots on, I don't feel the heat enough to make me want to ditch the ST1300 for something else. And yes, the left locking pocket seems like a great place to keep a steak burrito until you're ready for lunch.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Just finished a 9500 km trip across Canada and heat wasn't an issue. I must say there were no intensely hot days along the way. I always wear jeans and boots, and usually have my knees touching the fairing or tank. I did install MCL wings so you could stretch your legs, and that cools them as well. Nothing like a blast of breeze up your pants to wake you up.

I have a new 2007 with ABS that I just got in August. I have about 1000 miles on it and in temperatures from 90-102 at times. I usually ride with jeans and boots and a Tourmaster GX Air jacket, and although the bike gets warm, heat is not a problem. I did put a recording temp probe in the cowl pockets on a 95 degree day and the left got up to 141 F, while the right (the smaller one) only got up to 120 F. I'll re-measure on a cool day and post that data later in the fall.

schla

STOC #7008
Bike
04 ST1300A
STOC #
I live in the santa cruz mountains and commute to silicon valley daily, and I only notice" the heat on my legs when it is hot out. on cold mornings it isn't even noticeable. its not too bad in stop and go traffic, which constitutes about 10 minutes of my 45 minute commute...

I have an 04.

Computer Nerd

full frontal nerdity
I do 80+ miles a day on my '07. It did seem hot at first, (not much more than my old FZ1 though) but after doing the 8K mile service, it seems MUCH cooler.

I think adjusting the throttle bodies, and getting a good oil in there makes all the difference. Plus, the friction of break in is finished.

Bike is totally fine now!

I would think you have pretty mild temps up there in Seattle. I don't think you have too much to worry about. Especially when it's cooler, you're gonna love the heat it throws off.

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #
I've only put a couple of hundred miles on my 07ABS and I can tell you that Yuma is the proving ground for heat! I've found so far that the heat issue is not there for me! I rode this morning and the temp was 104 and I experienced no more heat than I have on the Sabre 1100, or the VTX 1800. Sure , at a long light you notice some heat, but what other bike dos not do this at high temps! I ride most of the sumer here and I don't think the heat is an issue. I come from the Seattle area and believe me, you would be OK on the 1300.

Top Bottom