Preload Settings

Bike
ST1300 2002
I am looking to set my ST1300 rear shock pre-load at the optimum setting for my weight (200 lbs). I have previously thought along the lines of setting this to approximately 1 1/2 " sag. Many comments I read suggest that setting the pre-load to maximum or very close helps the bike,s stability. Surely this would be a bit "harsh" on the smoothness of the bike? Also I have the tyres set to 42 front and rear. Can the front pressure be safetly dropped to 36 psi?

Joe

Byron

STOC #
Joe,

Here is my 2 cents on the subject. Crank up the adjuster and take it for a ride. If its not handling like you want crank it up some more, unless the handling issue is because it is to hard then back it off some. Trial and error works for me. I like to find a nice long turn that you can take at a comfortable speed. Set the bike into the turn and really relax your grip to the point of almost turning loose of the bars, no physical input. If you come out of the turn a bit wide crank in a little more preload. If it trys cutting the apex to soon then back a little preload out. With a topbox mounted I had to crank in a little more preload to keep the front tire planted above 80. You need to be comfortable with your setup.

I ran the stock Dunlop's at 42 like the manual says. When I switched to the Avon Azaro their suggested front pressure was 36 and that's what I run even now running the Storms. Tire pressure will again be based on bike load too. More load, more pressure until you have reached the max. limit.

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Joe

To add to what Byron posted - I too am at about 200 lbs and found that setting the preload about 2 -2.5 turns out is a good place to start (about the first line). Your need to judge for yourself on the harshness of the ride, that is an individual preference. My ST has the front stiffened a bit, that's a lot more noticable than the rear.

Bike
'05 ST1300 "STinger"
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to say thank you. This information made a huge difference in the way my ST handles. It got warm enough today to give it a try and grooves and cracks in the pavement no longer push the bike around. My confidence riding this bike has gone up considerably.

Thanks again.

Jeff

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
My .02 worth are first service the pre-load adjust, fill with fluid (search forum for instructions) then unscrew the knob all the way (softest) then turn in inward 5 clicks, and set the dampener screw on 1.5 turns out from lightly seated and try that.
I run my tires at 42 psi.

Bike
2007 ST1300/A
What did you do, MNKid? I get some scary movement when I get into a seam in the pavement, or long areas where the asphalt is breaking up. It takes my confidence away very quickly.

Top Bottom