Article [13] ST1300 - Top Box Power

I'd been looking for a good setup to get power into my top box for accessory charging. When travelling, I like to keep my camcorder, cell phone and digital camera charged up. Powerlet had the perfect setup. About half way down the web page it shows the setup for the ST1300. It is on order and should be a quick install.

http://www.powerletproducts.com/products/ptb.php#

I'll follow up once it's installed.

Pat

On a brighter note, my connectors arrived today and I just finished the install.

Placed masking tape over the outside and used the backing plate as a template.

Using a Dremel, I routed out the connector hole.

Test fit. I continued routing until the connector fit flush against the top box.

Drilled screw holes. I put the screw holes at 12, 3, 6 and 9 to avoid recessed area inside box.

Using a cutting wheel, I notched the backing plate to fit flush against the inside. I also had to remove the tab to allow for a flush fit.

Shows mount from inside. I added some black silicone sealant around connector to prevent any water leakage.

Shows finished inside connection.

Shows finished outside connection.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the installation.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

basco

05 ST1300
STOC #
I have done it for my tank bag but not for a top box. Good luck and let us know, I might do the same.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'm planning on doing it as well.

I'd like to charge my cell phone in the trunk while riding and my mp3 player while stopped. It looks like a nice neat install from looking at the website.

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Hey I've been wondering about that. Please take some pics for us when you install it if you can.

Thanks,
Curt

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
It looks pretty easy. The placement, shown in the pic, shouldn't interfere with a passenger or anything you've got tied down. My mp3 player charges slow and it would be nice to leave it in the trunk while eating lunch or camping and let it charge up.

I just ordered the items and will post some pics once I'm done with the install.

CruisingDog

CRZNDOG
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Please read my "Battery Drain" comment. I'd advise you be carefull about the load you put on the battery when not running the engine. 1Amp load for charging all these accessories will discharge your battery in 11 hours (from my understanding- I'm hoping I'm wrong!!)!

Dog,

Thanks for the tip. Mine will be connected to a switched power block. So the power drain should not be an issue.

Pat

CruisingDog

CRZNDOG
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Pat,

So I had an email discussion with Powerlet adapters today letting them know about the power drain issue and that they should make sure their customers are aware.

Anyway, being an Electronic Engineer I offered to design them a circuit which will cut the power to an adapter when the bike is not running [high current rating also!].

I got a response back that they would not put a circuit in there due to some liability or what-not. Seems stupid to me since I just gave them an idea to make their product more marketable. One powerlet is hot always, the other is hot whilst running. Seems a good idea to me anyway.

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Hey thanks for the write up. Very nice. You know it may seem simple but it's just easier sometimes to see an example to make sure you're not missing anything. I might do this to the Givi to keep my laptop charged while I'm moving so I can leave it in standby while I'm riding then when I stop it will be in standby off it's own battery.

Thanks,
Curt

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I just installed mine yesterday evening. Very easy as long as you are comfortable drilling on your top box... LOL.. It's gonna be nice to charge the cell phone or mp3 player during a lunch stop, overnight or while riding while they are in the top box...

I opted for the 38" long HD battery lead as I wasn't sure the 21" lead that comes in the 'kit' would be long enough. I also don't have a fuse box or anything under the pass seat like lots of guys here so I just connected it straight to the battery.

I'll post pics if anyone wants them but it basically looks just like sttourer's install except mine is on the right side of the bike.

Re: Top Box Power

Pat,
Anyway, being an Electronic Engineer I offered to design them a circuit which will cut the power to an adapter when the bike is not running [high current rating also!].
I'd be interested in how you would do this. I figure the easiest way is to tap a hot wire or use a relay.

Bike
'93 ST1100

Thanks, just received connector. Fast shipping.

Not exactly what I was expecting though. My mistake.
With $7 cheapest shipping, total $12, but it is only the one connector piece.

No backing plate to mount it to.
No mounting hardware like screws or nuts.
No SAE connector on other end, just bare wires.

Sure it is cheaper, but you will need to do some running around to gather and pay for the other required items to complete the basic plug mount. I'll simply add some small washers along with screws and nuts to mount, then solder on an SAE connector.

If you want something complete, ready to go, the original stuff from powerlet for $17.55 more (including shipping), might be better choice.

Last edited:
Bike
2004 ST 1300

that looks very good i think i'll give it a try.

Thanks, just received connector. Fast shipping.

Not exactly what I was expecting though. My mistake.
With $7 cheapest shipping, total $12, but it is only the one connector piece.

No backing plate to mount it to.
No mounting hardware like screws or nuts.
No SAE connector on other end, just bare wires.

Sure it is cheaper, but you will need to do some running around to gather and pay for the other required items to complete the basic plug mount. I'll simply add some small washers along with screws and nuts to mount, then solder on an SAE connector.

If you want something complete, ready to go, the original stuff from powerlet for $17.55 more (including shipping), might be better choice.
I have dozens of small SAE connectors and adapters , if you don't you can pick up a 12" SAE extension from any autoparts store for about $$1.99 and cut it in half to get two units. The reason I prefer the cheap one to the powerlet one (besides being $20 cheaper) is that it uses 12g cable, with a short run to the battery its a good place to jump a bike from (using 10g SAE cables on the other end)

TXRoadRash

FWDoc
Bike
2008 GL1800

I'd been looking for a good setup to get power into my top box for accessory charging. When travelling, I like to keep my camcorder, cell phone and digital camera charged up. Powerlet had the perfect setup. About half way down the web page it shows the setup for the ST1300. It is on order and should be a quick install.

http://www.powerletproducts.com/products/ptb.php#

I'll follow up once it's installed.

Pat

I recognize that this is an older post, but it's good info just the same. I've just ordered the PowerLet cable (48" for some slack routing it from the battery to the rear of the bike) and luggage adapter (for my OEM top case). However, I cannot find any documents or installation instructions on the PowerLet site (the link provided now simply leads to the product page).

Is there anything other than the info in this string of posts that I need to know?

:D

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

I recognize that this is an older post, but it's good info just the same. I've just ordered the PowerLet cable (48" for some slack routing it from the battery to the rear of the bike) and luggage adapter (for my OEM top case). However, I cannot find any documents or installation instructions on the PowerLet site (the link provided now simply leads to the product page).

Is there anything other than the info in this string of posts that I need to know?

:D
Nope, I've done this to two top boxes - one on my past '03 Hondaline and one on my '08's Give E52. I even took the idea and applied it to the ST1300 saddle bag as well in case I didn't want to have my top box on.

TXRoadRash

FWDoc
Bike
2008 GL1800

Nope, I've done this to two top boxes - one on my past '03 Hondaline and one on my '08's Give E52. I even took the idea and applied it to the ST1300 saddle bag as well in case I didn't want to have my top box on.
Thanks Joe. Wish I had seen your saddlebag mod before finalizing my order!

Now I need another cable and adapter...

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Thanks Joe. Wish I had seen your saddlebag mod before finalizing my order!

Now I need another cable and adapter...
Sorry about that, I'm going to make this one an article and reference both posts in both articles since they are so similar.

Top Bottom