Crampbuster vs: Throttle Rocker II w/Honda Heated Grips

BILLP117

R.I.P. - 2012/05/28
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST1300-ABS
STOC #
Which one do you prefer? Do you use right only or right and Left.

Thanks, Bill Pratt

ST Dan

2 summers 50k+ miles 48 states
Bike
14 NC700X
STOC #
I put heated grips on this yr...I have the original throttle rocker...everything works just fine...hope that helps....

The problem I have had in the past on a different bike was that when the grips heat up, so does the plastic. When that happens the plastic softens and did not hold the grip as well and would spin downwards to a point of being useless. Maybe the right sized grips will make a difference, but heat and plastic. Think it over.

The throttle rocker I have installed has a velcro band, it doesn't expand when the heated grips are on. BTW I rode to work this morning and the bike thermometer showed a +2 C, about 38 F. And the heated grip were on :rolleyes: . Winter is pointing its nose ...again. :( I hope I'll be able to ride past Christmas again. But we normally have a few feet of snow at that time of the year.* We'll see.

I had a crampbuster that kept getting in the way. I would probably be ok on long highway trips but around town and on the twisties it really bothered me. I don't think it was safe. But it is an inexpensive thing to try.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Which one do you prefer? Do you use right only or right and Left.

Thanks, Bill Pratt
Hello Bill,

By 'Throttle Rocker II' I assume you mean the inferior design forced upon them by threat of lawsuit - the 'new' USA version with the velcro strap. On a whim, seeing one on the shelf at my good local dealer, I recently added a left side version of one of those to The Grey GhOOST. After ~10K, it's a keeper over there - primarily because it can be adjusted one time and then left alone.

On the actual throttle side I've had one of the original Throttle Rockers for many years and thousands of trouble-free miles. The beST bang-for-buck farkle I've ever installed. I've actually worn its pebbled surface almost completely smooth. This is the one-piece version that can be rotated (only) one direction while underway, allowing fine adjustments to varying conditions, or even out of the way. Which points out the obvious shortcoming of the II, velro-strap, version - you can't adjust it while underway.

So... I can't recommend the right-side USA Throttle Rocker II version. Which leaves the Crampbuster, a one-piece design that can be rotated one direction (please check for any interference with the front brake lever and trim as necessary if you plan to try to move it while the ST is moving!) but is not ergonomically shaped like all the Throttle Rockers, and is too long IMO (check that it doesn't catch on your sleeve/glove).

I'd heard a rumor that the original Throttle Rocker version was still available in Canada. Can anyone check/confirm-0r-deny that? TIA

Can't help with the heated grips aspect, but I'd think that any of the 'wrist rest' products will install over them. I suspect that some of the largest diameter aftermarket grips would be problematic though...

BTW, I also have a VistaCruise throttle lock and an AudioVox cruise control installed. They all are valuable comfort and ride extender additions to my ST1100.

Regards, John OoSTerhuis STOC 1058

I'd heard a rumor that the original Throttle Rocker version was still available in Canada. Can anyone check/confirm-0r-deny that? TIA
Yes you can currently still buy the original Throttle Rocker in Canada but I don't know if that is just using up old stock or not.

Just bought 2 original Throttle Rockers in the US about a month ago. Can't remember where I got them, but they were found by "Googling" Throttle Rocker on the Web. I then called the vendor to see if they were the original or the velcro.

OP
OP

BILLP117

R.I.P. - 2012/05/28
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST1300-ABS
STOC #
Thanks for all the replies. I ordered the Left and Right Throttle Rocker II with velcro for about $16 on eBay. I might try to get the original style after I try the velcro. Also looks like there will be an Audiovox Cruise Control in my future. Anyone want to do a group install in the Seattle area? Amazon sells them for approx. $85.

Bill Pratt

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
...I'd heard a rumor that the original Throttle Rocker version was still available in Canada. Can anyone check/confirm-or-deny that? TIA
It appears that Throttle Rocker is now selling both versions - the 'original' version and the Velcro strap version. I visited their website today, and both versions were offered. Although I am in Canada, I am pretty sure that they only have one website (not a Canada-specific website).

Here's the link: ThrottleRocker.com

I've had a Velcro strap version on my ST1100 for 10+ years... the darn thing slips regardless of whether grip heat is on or off. I've worked around this by putting a small piece of double-sided carpet tape in between the handgrip and the Velcro, but that's not a perfect solution because the tape eventually slips as well. Based on my experience, I do not recommend the Velcro strap version. I have no experience with the 'original' version, but I am going to order one today for my ST 1300.

Michael

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have been using cramp buster for 12,000 miles. No problems, Reliable and in expensive. It fits on the stock (no heat) grip with a trimmed grip-on cover between it and the inner grip flange. No experience with throttle rocker.

Top Bottom