Best Headlight Replacement Bulbs??

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Yeah, I almost need sunglasses when I have all my lights on and go by one of those big traffic signs...lol!!

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
The first set wil not generate enough light to be headlights. Would be okay for daytime running lights.

The second set someone on the forum tried, they were not sufficient for full replacement.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks T_C I suspected as much I will save my money I am already running LED's under the mirrors and will be adding a set over the mirrors very soon so I will just stick with the OSRAM's for now, as I have plenty of light now and once the lights are added over the mirrors will be ready to ride at night if necessary.

Bike
2004 ST1300
Hey guys, I'm raybonz and I have a couple questions about headlight replacement. I know these are old posts but I'm in need of some answers. I've had 2 1100's in the past and ran the Osram 70/65 in both and loved them. Plenty of light and after lots of trial and error, easy to replace. I just made a major upgrade with buying a 2004 1300 and I'm in love!! BUT! the previous owner had Plasma Glow 100/90 lamps put in and they suck. The lamps are all the way raised and I can't see more than 40 feet ahead. I commute through a canyon in the wee hours and 2 years ago was hit by a coyote I never saw. So, my questions are--will these high watt plasmas burn anything up until I can put the Osrams in and is there another adjustment to make the beam higher? Some of the fastners are loose and 1 was missing on the front cowl so I'm also wondering if maybe the shop that put the plasmas in either wasn't able to seat the bulbs correctly or failed to install all of the underlying parts and pieces. As always, thanks to all of you have helped so much!!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
the previous owner had Plasma Glow 100/90 lamps put in and they suck. The lamps are all the way raised and I can't see more than 40 feet ahead. I commute through a canyon in the wee hours and 2 years ago was hit by a coyote I never saw. So, my questions are--will these high watt plasmas burn anything up
A few riders have said that high wattage bulbs have damaged the reflector and/or connector. YMMV.

The ST1300 doesn't use the typical H-4 bulb. The two bottom tabs on an H-4 bulb have to be removed or bent back to fit in the housing. Some people unnecessarily install shims meant for use in the 1100. So it's possible someone botched a relatively simple installation.

Is it possible someone has messed with the headlight assembly itself causing even more alignment error? Has the bike been in a crash or the reflector lens assembly replaced?

I'd start with removing the bulbs and see what's what.

Bike
2004 ST1300
Hello ST Gui. After removing most of the Tupperware, I've changed the bulbs to the Osrams and tonight will be the first test. Whoever the previous owner paid to have the bulbs replaced and a comm system installed did a crappy job. Half of the fastners are not the correct ones and 4 wires had been siliconed into place because they had been pulled out of their plugs! I've never been good at soldering but had to do it here and happy to report everything went back together and is working. Also downloaded a service manual and earned that there is a manual way to raise and lower the headlight. So it continues...........

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Good to hear you're making progress. There is a pic floating around showing the adjustment on the back of the headlight assembly for manually aiming the headlight. IIRC the knob on the dash should be used first to get the headlights in the middle of the knob's adjustment range. Then the manual adjustment is made from the back of the headlight assembly. When done the knob on the inside of the dash should fine tune the headlight when necessary.

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
I use the Cyclops LED H4's with help from the PIAA x1100's on high beam, very bright and (for us) work well.

Bike
2004 ST1300
Yeah, so far no love. I can tell the lights are brighter only because the 20 feet they do shine is much brighter! I checked to see if there's power to the motor and there is. Even manually turning the screw from underneath has had no affect on the distance. I turned it at least 20 full revolutions in both directions and nothing. So I'm thinking that the inside of the aiming motor is shot. Hard to believe with so little miles but I've learned anything is possible. Anybody else had this problem?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Two different screws adjust the height. One up top by the motor, one lower bottom in the center between the headlights.

See if it is turned to the extreme.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Good to hear you're making progress. There is a pic floating around showing the adjustment on the back of the headlight assembly for manually aiming the headlight. IIRC the knob on the dash should be used first to get the headlights in the middle of the knob's adjustment range. Then the manual adjustment is made from the back of the headlight assembly. When done the knob on the inside of the dash should fine tune the headlight when necessary.
here you go.
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?71391-Headlight-aiming-problem/page2

I printed out that pic and also added which turning direction does what. Still occasionally playing with aim.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
That's the one! A couple of months back I grabbed that pic and gave it to a buddy who was having some problems aiming his ST's headlights. I don't remember how they got out of kilter but this fixed it for him.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
AdvMonster.com has a` LED bulb with no fan and a mesh cable heat sink. First I've found which fits in the limited space available on the NC700. Not 100% happy with the aiming but better than anything else I've tried. Also, found some decent running lights at Amazon with Chip On Board (COB) halos around the central LED light. $40 plus for the headlight and $20 plus for a pair of running lights. Just more choices.

http://stores.advmonster.com/h4-r3-led-headlight/

https://www.amazon.com/Ecosin-Fashion-Car-Projector-Driving/dp/B01M0N8X36/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1512997918&sr=8-15&keywords=cob+led+spot+lights

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
George said:
Also, found some decent running lights at Amazon with Chip On Board (COB) halos around the central LED light.
Nice looking See-Me lights. One comment says they're blue. I wonder if Xenon white is ≥6500ºK

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
2018 this is the one to look for... F2 by Evitek, sold by many vendors soon..

F2_ax.jpg

30 watts (measured), better focus, slightly better than the G6....

Last edited:
Top Bottom