Best Headlight Replacement Bulbs??

OP
OP
ParkerBill
Bike
'06 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Okay, my final couple of communications with Daniel Stern resulted in the additional recommendations after I answered his questions about my normal riding patterns.

I told him my normal riding is:
"For the most part I do long day rides of 150-250 miles, but I also take long trips and sometimes those require night riding. I do not do a lot of riding at night, at least not here and the current lamps really aren't all that conducive to riding at night, at least not out on the highways I prefer to ride on (country). I try to avoid heavy city traffic, although that is kind of difficult in this part of Florida and during the day I normally ride with low beams, not high beams."

His recommendation:
"In that case, I recommend the 70/65w bulb on the right (this would be the Osram) -- that is, your right as you are riding the bike -- and on the left, a Narva 60/55w ultra high efficacy Rangepower+50 bulb on the left, with a selective-yellow clip-on balloon. The combination will result in significantly improved nighttime seeing on low and high beam _and_ night and day conspicuity (ability of others to see and react appropriately to you).

70/65w bulb is here: http://store.candlepower.com/64205.html

60/55w ultra high efficacy +50 bulb is here: http://store.candlepower.com/naraulhiou60.html

Re-usable selective-yellow balloon is here:
http://store.candlepower.com/clyeba.html

Of course, the headlamp needs to be aimed correctly. Get a helper to hold the bike upright and then aim per http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html"

I followed his recommendation up with an additional question about why using two different bulbs and the yellow balloon thing on one bulb and received this reply.

"To provide the optimum combination of improved seeing and improved conspicuity (=others' ability to see and react properly to you as a motorcycle in time to avoid a collision). The yellow light provides a visual cue that marks you out from the sea of white (car) headlamps."

The reason for the 60/55W bulb on the left side, is because the yellow balloon will not fit on an Osram bulb; at least that's what the description of the yellow balloon at the link above says.

I have a feeling it may look a bit funny, but that could be the very reason it might make me more visible to the cagers.

What do you think? Anyone else running this type of setup?

Last edited:
OP
OP
ParkerBill
Bike
'06 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Okay, my final couple of communications with Daniel Stern resulted in the additional recommendations after I answered his questions about my normal riding patterns.

I told him my normal riding is:
"For the most part I do long day rides of 150-250 miles, but I also take long trips and sometimes those require night riding. I do not do a lot of riding at night, at least not here and the current lamps really aren't all that conducive to riding at night, at least not out on the highways I prefer to ride on (country). I try to avoid heavy city traffic, although that is kind of difficult in this part of Florida and during the day I normally ride with low beams, not high beams."

His recommendation:
"In that case, I recommend the 70/65w bulb on the right (this would be the Osram) -- that is, your right as you are riding the bike -- and on the left, a Narva 60/55w ultra high efficacy Rangepower+50 bulb on the left, with a selective-yellow clip-on balloon. The combination will result in significantly improved nighttime seeing on low and high beam _and_ night and day conspicuity (ability of others to see and react appropriately to you).

70/65w bulb is here: http://store.candlepower.com/64205.html

60/55w ultra high efficacy +50 bulb is here: http://store.candlepower.com/naraulhiou60.html

Re-usable selective-yellow balloon is here:
http://store.candlepower.com/clyeba.html

Of course, the headlamp needs to be aimed correctly. Get a helper to hold the bike upright and then aim per http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html"

I followed his recommendation up with an additional question about why using two different bulbs and the yellow balloon thing on one bulb and received this reply.

"To provide the optimum combination of improved seeing and improved conspicuity (=others' ability to see and react properly to you as a motorcycle in time to avoid a collision). The yellow light provides a visual cue that marks you out from the sea of white (car) headlamps."

The reason for the 60/55W bulb on the left side, is because the yellow balloon will not fit on an Osram bulb; at least that's what the description of the yellow balloon at the link above says.

I have a feeling it may look a bit funny, but that could be the very reason it might make me more visible to the cagers.

What do you think? Anyone else running this type of setup?
10/23/07: Daniel Stern confirmed the reason for the different bulb in the left side socket is because the yellow balloon will not fit on the Osram bulb.

OP
OP
ParkerBill
Bike
'06 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Okay, here is my plan and what I've done so far.

This morning I completed on line orders with CAS and Candlepower (Stern sent me there) for the following.

CAS:
1. Set of H4 shims $11.00 plus shipping of $5.10 for a total of $16.10

Candlepower:
1. Osram 70/65W +50 H4 bulb: $22.00
2. Narva RangePower +50 Ultra High Output 60/55W H4 bulb: $17.00
3. Clip-on Yellow Balloon (for the Narva bulb): $ 9.50
Shipping: $ 6.54
Total: $55.04

Grand total both orders: $71.14

The Osram will go in the right socket. The Narva with the yellow balloon will go in the right socket. I have to admit I'm really curious to see what the one yellow balloon thing is going to look like as well as getting comments. :D

I should have all this installed within the next couple of weeks and I will take several before and after photos at the front of the ST and from the rider's position looking forward and post in a new thread under this forum so you all can hopefully see any visible differences and comment. I am also looking forward to hearing any comments from you who see my ST1300 in person at our upcoming FL-STOC in November.

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
Bill I have a favor as you and Mr Stern have a relatinship now could you ask him if the set-up he reccomends would work if you are running a modulator and if the set-up would be the same? And again thanks for all the leg work !!

OP
OP
ParkerBill
Bike
'06 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Bill I have a favor as you and Mr Stern have a relatinship now could you ask him if the set-up he reccomends would work if you are running a modulator and if the set-up would be the same? And again thanks for all the leg work !!
Hi Gene. I wouldn't exactly say we have a relationship, but I'll be happy to ask him and just sent the email. :D
Oh and remember, the recommendation he made to me was for the parameters I gave him on my normal riding types. It might not be what you would need. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Gene

STOC #
Thanks Bill I beleive the only difference in our types of riding is that I run a modulator on the high beams during the day most times.

OP
OP
ParkerBill
Bike
'06 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Okay, Gene, et al, I got a response back from Daniel Stern and I'll quote it here in its entirety since he said he didn't mind me doing so. His response also shares his thoughts on modulators, but let me add right up front that I am not going to take part in any discussion about modulators, nor do any responses belong in this thread since there are other threads in this forum dealing with modulators. I am merely quoting Mr. Stern's opinion on the matter, so please, everyone, do not reply to me about it if you love them.

And I quote Mr. Stern:
No reason why it (PB: meaning the different bulb setup he recommended for my type of riding) wouldn't, but as with so many other conspicuity-enhancement ideas in the motorcycle lighting field, headlamp modulators have never been shown to exert a significant (which means "real", not "large") effect on motorcyclist safety. No significant (real) reduction in crash involvement, no significant (real) reduction in crash severity. All that exists to support modulators is the apparently common-sensical but nevertheless unproven idea that of course modulators would obviously improve safety (the real world often stubbornly refuses to work in ways that seem obvious), a fair amount of anecdotal "Oh yeah, people don't pull out in front of me from side streets since I got a modulator" types of assertions, and the loud and successful but evidence-free clamoring of various motorcyclist-advocacy groups for regulatory permission to use modulators. The science just isn't there to support any statement stronger than "modulators probably do not _negatively_ impact motorcyclist safety", and not for lack of looking There's a great deal of real, broad and deep study going on in the area of motorcycle conspicuity right now, and so far a great many methods have been found wholly _ineffective_, but very few have shown any significant
(real) promise.

Use a modulator if you wish -- again, they probably don't hurt, except in terms of bulb life and resultant maintenance expense -- but just as loud pipes do not save lives, modulators don't either. It'd be nice if they did; in every area of safety research, the holy grail lies in cheap, easily-fittable devices that significantly improve safety. Unfortunately, most of the big, easy gains have already been achieved, and it grows ever more costly to achieve ever smaller improvements. Headlamp modulators, regrettably, must be categorized with brake lamp flashers and (again) loud pipes as putative "safety" devices that aren't effective.
(End of Quote)

Again everyone, please don't kill the messenger (me). :D :D

Bike
None
STOC #
Again everyone, please don't kill the messenger (me). :D :D
Unbelievable!!!:hat1: Isn't there already a movie about Kill Bill? Hey, as a matter of fact there are 2!!! Do I see a third one close on the horizon?

"Kill Bill 3, the Modulator Theory!"

:crackup :crackup :crackup

Sorry Bill, I just couldn't pass that up...:a13:
:duck: :duck: :duck:

Gene

STOC #
Good greif Bill sorry I asked :eek: he is just a little something isn't he !! Much more than asked for , can you imagine how much fun you could have by getting that guy stirred up then just stirring the pot for a while :D :D I think he might have answered the question sorta.

Bike
None
STOC #
Bill were those bulbs reccomended with the stock wiring harness?
Unbelievable!:hat1:

Hey there Gene! Just wanted to toss in that the stock wiring is more than able to handle the extra wattage! You probably saw that I'm running the 80/100 watts on my ST1100 and I've had no signs of wiring issues or teriminals getting hot. I've been checking them quite often. Even on the ST1300 so long as you don't go as high of a wattage as I did, your stock harness will be fine. I can't recall anyone here ever having to beef up the wiring for the bulb upgrade either so I hope this helps!!:shrug2:

Bike
FJR 1300A
STOC #
I upgraded to HID, 6000k WOW...it really lights up the road,it make Halogen look like a candle, and it use only 35watts. $150.00 for BI-Xenon on e-bay

Marcus

OP
OP
ParkerBill
Bike
'06 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Bill were those bulbs reccomended with the stock wiring harness?
Tom already answered this, but I'll just add that I assumed I would be using the stock wiring harness because as Tom said, there have been no mentions in this forum by anyone using higher wattage bulbs having a problem with the stock wiring, and Daniel Stern made no mention about having to change any wiring.

OP
OP
ParkerBill
Bike
'06 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Good greif Bill sorry I asked :eek: he is just a little something isn't he !! Much more than asked for , can you imagine how much fun you could have by getting that guy stirred up then just stirring the pot for a while :D :D I think he might have answered the question sorta.
Yep, he seems to be pretty opinionated, for sure! :D I just knew you all would get a "kick" out his complete response. :D :D

And yes, he did say that what he recommended I use would work fine with a modulator, so you should be fine. :)

DJDixon

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
STOC #
ParkerBill said:
Yep, he seems to be pretty opinionated, for sure! :D I just knew you all would get a "kick" out his complete response. :D :D

And yes, he did say that what he recommended I use would work fine with a modulator, so you should be fine. :)
If you think he has strong opinions on modulators, ask him about HID retrofits sometime... :eek:

Daniel is very knowledgeable, but I do take his opinions with a grain of salt. I will be using a modulator, but I don't think I will go with the single yellow bulb idea as a good deal of my riding right now is early morning / late evening, and I live out where Bambi plays... :eek: :eek:

tlartist

Tom Laux
Bike
ST1300
Not sure if you care but you might want to check on legality of yellow headlight. Based on some searches it looks like yellow headlights are illegal in most states. Those people that still used them I guess it is hit or miss whether you will be pulled over or not.

OP
OP
ParkerBill
Bike
'06 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Not sure if you care but you might want to check on legality of yellow headlight. Based on some searches it looks like yellow headlights are illegal in most states. Those people that still used them I guess it is hit or miss whether you will be pulled over or not.
Hmmmmmmmm, hadn't heard of this before. I figured if the cagers can have those infuriating bright blue headlights, I oughta be able to have one yellow one. I don't think it's really all that noticeable to be honest, but I'm looking forward to getting some opinions from others at FL-STOC in a week or so.

Also, I'll ask my next door neighbor if Florida has some law against the yellow ones--he's a State Trooper.

Thanks for the post.

OP
OP
ParkerBill
Bike
'06 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I asked my next door neighbor, a Florida State Trooper, about having one yellow light and one white one as headlights. He even came over and looked at it and said he did not think I would have any trouble with LEOs. He said he definitely would not stop and/or ticket anyone with my set up, but he is going to research the regs and let me know for sure. I'll follow up here if he comes back with a negative.

He actually even liked them as a safety feature and said he thought they would make the bike stand out more to cagers during the daylight hours.

OP
OP
ParkerBill
Bike
'06 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
To follow up on the legality question. My next door neighbor, a Florida State Trooper, researched Florida regs and basically all it says is that we have to have one white light in front. He said he also checked with his Sergeant and he also agreed that in Florida, at least, having one white and one yellow lamp in front is legal.

Of course, this doesn't speak to other states, but you know something, if researching this is as difficult in other states as in Florida, I don't see how even if turns out to be illegal in other states they could in good conscience ticket us, when it's so friggin' hard to get the answer as to whether or not it's legal from their web sites. I researched the Florida DMV site and couldn't find anything on it.

Top Bottom