Dash light question

I just noticed when I rode my ST1300 home tonight that the dash left side control area (the headlight adjust knob and the 3 way push button) is not illumnaited. I honestly don't remember if they were like this before, but seem to remember seeing their labels back-lited during night riding. Can anybody help me to solve the puzzle please?

Sorry for the stupid question. I am still trying to get my ST1300 enough mileage for the 1st service, so pretty green here.:eek::

Last edited:

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I ask myself every time I ride at night why didn't Honda illuminate those, especially the headlight adjust.

myhrdly

STOC# 6865
STOC #
Mine don't light up either! But that isn't a big deal for me! I don't mess with those buttons anyway! Only time I even touch the 3 pad button is when I reset my trip. at gas stations!

What I wish they would do is illuminate the handle bar buttons! It would be nice to see the high low beam switch, and even the windshield adjustment button!! I'm always searching for those in the early mornings!!!!

Kim

OP
OP
frank123
Thanks, folks.

Knowing it is supposed to be a "dark area" makes me feel better. I was worried some fuse might be blown somewhere in my new bike.

I do wish it is lighted, though. It seems to be inconsistent with the rest of the dash board design.

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
Finally got around to doing something about lighting the buttons and knob. One of those "wish list" items it seems you never get to, but after the last long night trip I felt unsafe fumbling around just to change the fuel economy display!

Sorry I didn't take installation pics, but it's pretty straight forward-
Pull the windscreen and inner shield cowl.
Drill a 3mm hole in the top of the dash at an angle aiming down at the cluster.
Glue a 3mm amber LED into the hole
Solder a 1.5k resistor (wanted half brightness @ ~10ma) inline
Ground the neg lead under a frame screw, and connected the pos to the dash light wire in the double connector to the instrument panel (it's the brn/blk wire on the larger connector).

Bike
2010 ST1300A
STOC #
Never noticed, but I like Playfair's solution. It would be nice if the hi beams and windshield buttons were to light up at night. That would be handy.

STOC #
Finally got around to doing something about lighting the buttons and knob. One of those "wish list" items it seems you never get to, but after the last long night trip I felt unsafe fumbling around just to change the fuel economy display!

Sorry I didn't take installation pics, but it's pretty straight forward-
Pull the windscreen and inner shield cowl.
Drill a 3mm hole in the top of the dash at an angle aiming down at the cluster.
Glue a 3mm amber LED into the hole
Solder a 1.5k resistor (wanted half brightness @ ~10ma) inline
Ground the neg lead under a frame screw, and connected the pos to the dash light wire in the double connector to the instrument panel (it's the brn/blk wire on the larger connector).
Sweet!

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
Nice mod.... I don't do a whole lot of night riding but it's such a simple idea that I'll add it to my winter list for when I do. Thanks!

Top Bottom