Fairing deflector/mirror deflector installation

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Getting ready to install fairing deflectors and mirror deflectors. Is there anything I should be aware of before I start? What is best to start with,,,mirror defl. or the fairing defl.? I just dont want to jump into it and do something to screw the install up.

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
They are both lots easier than you expect. Make sure to clean where the two face tape goes really good.
I dry fitted them first and didn't even take off the mirrors, based on someone's advice here.

I had more trouble getting all the little pieces of plastic off the tape than applying the deflectors to the bike. I finally used a good set of needle nose pliers to pull it loose.

If you leave little tabs(just start removing the plastic on the tape and fold over) so that you can install the deflector then pull on the tabs and remove plastic cover, while holding deflector in place. This way will give you a nice tight fit.

OP
OP
Tor

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Looking at the mirror deflector install, the top part (the part that runs along the side edge of the dashboard) has adhesive tape both on the part that goes in front, and the part that goes on the side. If I in the future want to take the front part of the dashboard off (to lube windshield rails or whatever), it wont be possible, because they are now effectively "glued" together by the deflector part. I don't know if you all understand what I am talking about,,,,,,,but those that have done the install will....

How did you guys solve this?

Looking at the mirror deflector install, the top part (the part that runs along the side edge of the dashboard) has adhesive tape both on the part that goes in front, and the part that goes on the side. If I in the future want to take the front part of the dashboard off (to lube windshield rails or whatever), it wont be possible, because they are now effectively "glued" together by the deflector part. I don't know if you all understand what I am talking about,,,,,,,but those that have done the install will....

How did you guys solve this?

The first and only time I have removed the dash after installation of the mirror deflectors I took a deep breath and pulled it loose... I then was able to stick it back on without replacing the double sticky tape. I am looking for a source for the sticky tape for the next time I have to remove the dash...

As for the cleaning, make sure it is really, really, really, really clean (Walmart has 90% isopropyl alcohol wipes in a pop up dispenser that work great). It also helps if the parts are above 70 deg F (kind of hard where I live). I put the fairing deflectors on in the cold, and the mirror deflectors on when it was warmer. It is better warm.

I also took advice from my dealer and used a heat gun to make both surfaces (bike & deflector) "hot to touch" (about 100 deg F) prior to installation. I used a small breakaway blade utility knife to remove the "red tape". The trick is to only pull away the beginning of the red tape and complete the removal (with or without pliers) after the deflector is in place.

OP
OP
Tor

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Thanks for reply,,,,alright,,,,I'll just live with the 2 pieces "glued together" then ;-). Might do this tomorrow, as its "supposed to be around 70 degr. or so.

jdpfms

JD Power
Bike
ST1300A&FJR1300
One thing I did since I have the motorcycle larry highway blades was to leave off the fairing pieces that go on the inspection doors on each side. Actually I did have those pieces on but kept knocking them loose from my leg hitting them when using the highway bars. I lost one with the inspection piece on the left and couldn't buy that single piece without buying a whole set. I just took the other side off and like it better since my legs don't rub them anymore.

JDP

Top Bottom