Article [13] ST1300 - Gear Position Indicator (Do It Yourself)

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
I just took a look at HealTech's site and saw the GiPro DS series GPI. It looks to be PnP. Is it? Where is the diagnostic port that it plugs into? I like this idea.

V65S owners: do you remember what Honda's GPI showed when in Neutral?

Addendum: I found the installation instructions:
https://healtech-electronics.com/docs/GPDS-H02_Manual_en.pdf

Because the ST doesn't have a Gear Position Sensor it seems some calibration is involved and the indication either disappears or isn't accurate when the clutch is pulled in. I think I could live with that.
According to the Healtech Electronics compatibility chart, for 2003 - 2007 the GiPRO-X Type is compatible with our ST's. For 2008 - 2012 the GiPRO-DS series is compatible.
https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/gpds/

Bike
2012 ST1300
My bike is a 2012 and the GiPro is Plug and Play. The diagnostic connector is way in the back on the right side. It was taped and hidden so well I couldn't find it, even with the manual. I searched around on this site and found some pics and finally found mine.

It was separately taped to the wire bundle. So when you cut off the tape, it doesn't mess up the taped wire bundle.

The only setup I had to do is pretty much just run through the gears. The device blinks to tell you what to do. I don't remember the blinks, but its easy and in the instructions. I did it with the bike on the center stand. And it works perfectly on both my ST and CB1100. When you pull the clutch in, the display changes to dotted lines. Gear selection shows when you let the clutch out.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Thanks Pg. This may be my next major farkle. Where did you put the display?

Bike
2012 ST1300
I put it on the clear panel in front of the speedometer. I put it at the bottom, centered on the 'm' in MPH. It doesn't cover either the speedometer or lights in there.

Arizona Jim

Let's ride
Bike
2016 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
When i had my ST I took the time to disassemble the dash and mounted the indicator on the face of the gauges behind the clear plastic lens. It took an evening but wasn't too hard if I remember correctly and made it look somewhat factory.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Nice pics. The best place for the GPi but I don't know that I'd want to delve that deep! lol

CruisingDog

CRZNDOG
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Re: My home-built DIY gear position indicator - includes plans

Ok here are a few pictures sorry about the button being blurry will try and get a better shot tomorrow...
I love this. However my changes would be:

-use a green or orange 7seg display (and maybe a smaller one)
-instead of a 0 for neutral I would have a lower case 'n' since 0 is not really between 1 and 2 whichnis where Neutral is.

Great work though.

Bike
ST1300
Hello,
I just want to thank you once more for great job and also for great documentation.
As a suggestion: for PIC beginners will be much easy if the compiled hex file will be attached here.

BR,
John

Top Bottom