Article [13] ST1300 - Gear Position Indicator (Do It Yourself)

Bike
GL1800/ST1300A
STOC #
I did my '09 ST1300 recently and it went very smoothly. I tried to really take my time and not break anything or loose any screws. That with a couple of short breaks to re-energize my focus, it took me 3 hours to do. I used a dremel tool to make a notch for the wire and mounted the indicator at the fast end of the speedo. Actually, finding the plug-in on the wiring harness was really the hardest part. The setup went flawlessly and I am very happy with the farkle.

Scott

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Hi All: any updates on the GPI?

Not to whine, but my 1979 GS850 had a factory gear position indicator as a stock standard feature 36 years ago (granted it was a bit of gee-whiz at the time). I cannot fathom why Honda (and every other motorcycle mfr. for that matter) has not made this a standard thing - particularly on high end street bikes. Sticking with just a neutral light for a $15000 motorcycle built in the 2000's seems a bit.....dare I say....winky.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
My V65 Sabre and a 650 Nighthawk had GPIs. (They also had 6-spd transmissions.)I really like them. Do any cars with manual transmissions have a GPI? The vast majority of riders don't need them and there are some "vocal" members here who will assure you that they're not necessary.

I like 'em and wish the ST had 'em. I'm just not up for the DIY or third-party solutions. I'd settle for a single LED telling me that I'm in 5th. What current model year bikes offer one? I don't think I've seen any mention.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Hi All: I am not aware of any (manual transmission) car with a GPI - but of course with a car you can tell what gear you in by just looking at the gear shift. With an automatic car - you always get some sort of read-out on the dash or shift console.

As I recall it from the magazine articles at the time, the rationale for Suzuki in putting a GPI on the GS850 was that the bike had a very broad powerband and due to the "rachet & return" nature of all foot-operated motorcycle gearshifts, it would be very easy to loose track of what gear you were in and therefore potentially be operating in a lower gear than necessary on the highway.

Yeah, I know that it only takes a moment to reach out with your left toe and snick it up one more time....but that little red number on the GS850 dash was helpful in traffic or on twisty roads (at least to me).

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Nice... someone knocked off a copy. I just wish it would show gear while the clutch was pulled in. That's when I need it most. Coasting out of a turn or from a downhill.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Hi All: I am not aware of any (manual transmission) car with a GPI - but of course with a car you can tell what gear you in by just looking at the gear shift. With an automatic car - you always get some sort of read-out on the dash or shift console.

As I recall it from the magazine articles at the time, the rationale for Suzuki in putting a GPI on the GS850 was that the bike had a very broad powerband and due to the "rachet & return" nature of all foot-operated motorcycle gearshifts, it would be very easy to loose track of what gear you were in and therefore potentially be operating in a lower gear than necessary on the highway.

Yeah, I know that it only takes a moment to reach out with your left toe and snick it up one more time....but that little red number on the GS850 dash was helpful in traffic or on twisty roads (at least to me).
Did your 1979 GS850 also have self canceling turn signals? My '81 850 had that feature, as did the '86 Cavalcade and my first bike, a 1976 RD400 Yamaha. I've never really understood why that feature is not standard on all street bikes, as it really isn't rocket science. I sometimes forget that my ST doesn't have that convenience and ride a block or two with my blinker still on after completing my turn. Lately I have been leaving my thumb on the signal switch while making my turn when practical to remind myself to cancel it after I turn. However, since I sometimes suffer from CRS, I don't always observe this practice.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Hi Don: yes, the '79 GS850G had self-cancelling turn signals (SCTS) and the gear position indicator (GPI) plus it had an accurate fuel gauge (I never had to push the bike anywhere - which was good because it was heavy), utterly reliable shaft drive, a dash-centre mounted choke, adjustable damping rear shocks, air-assisted front forks, a neat little storage compartment in the tail-cone AND it also had the best seat I have ever found on any bike. The GS850 seat was broad and roomy and as I recall it, there were two foam densities - "harder" down the centre and "softer" toward each side (or maybe vice-versa). It was amazingly comfortable and Gold Wing riders used to envy me to no end. I cannot be certain, but I think that the GS850G was the first bike to provide many of those features - it was quite a sensation at the time as even the GL1000, and certainly none of the Harley's or other brands had most of those items.

As for the self-cancelling turn signals, the system was quite sophisticated and the operating logic was speed and distance based. I think I have this right:

- below about 5 MPH - the signals simply stayed on until you pressed the switch down;

- between about 6 and I think around 35 MPH - the signals flashed for a certain number of seconds to allow you to complete your turn;

- above 35 MPH - the signals flashed for a certain distance (usually at those speeds you are passing another moving vehicle rather than going around a corner).

All-in-all, it truly was an excellent system which gave me NO trouble at all and worked in a way that made perfect sense. Between the SCTS and the gear position indicator plus the excellent seat, reliable and quiet but pretty torquey engine and decent handling, the GS850G was really a heck of a great bike. I equipped mine with a beautifully colour-matched Hannigan Sport-Tourer fairing and lowers plus a tank bag - and I was good to go! I put more than 100,000 miles on mine with ZERO issues and no repairs beyond oil and tire changes, a new battery here and there and a set of brake pads or two. In fact, after the initial 10,000 mile valve check (shims) at which I think 6 of the 8 valves needed an adjustment, I had it checked a couple of times after that but none of the valves ever needed anything again. The dealer told me to not worry about it unless I heard something start to rattle - and I never did.

When I returned to motorcycling in the fall of 2015, I was thrilled to find the Honda ST1300 but very surprised to find that it had no SCTS, no GPI, no air-assisted forks and that the seat is....OK, but not wonderful. It looks just like the GS850 seat for the most part except that there is no texture or pattern on the ST seat to keep you from sliding around on it. In fact, in the few hundred miles I put on my 2007 ST last fall, the thing I found most annoying was how slippery the darned seat is. There is no "grip" and so I kept sliding around (mostly forwards) which I found a little disconcerting and I suspect it could be tough on the "auxiliary equipment" in a hard stop.

Oh well, other than that, the ST really is a fantastic bike and about as close as I can get to my old GS850 - plus it has an extra 50 HP and built-in bags and that excellent adjustable windscreen and of course ABS - which we sure never had in the 1970's.

Cheers,

PeteSusie_1979-GS850.jpg

Update... It's installed along with a voltage meter... The "overhead" light is coming from my flashlight... Won't have it programmed and tested for a few weeks...FullSizeRender(1).jpg IMG_2749.jpg IMG_2750.jpg

Last edited:

Ilbikes

I love old bikes
Vendor
Bike
09 ST
Fellas, does anyone have the wiring drawn out and where these connections are tapped into. I can handle the voltage, but where is the best place to get Speedo and Tachometer pulse? I certainly feel one of these is needed on my ST. I've caught myself multiple times riding in 4th for miles and other times I'm looking for 6th. I've got several different bike models that I ride (vintage and dual sport) so I don't sync with the ST as some do. I wear earplugs and fullface helmet with music, so I miss the rpm cues sometimes. It would be nice to look down and see 5th. For $25, I'd jump on it.

I've owned two Suzuki GT550's back in the 1970's, a GT750 a few years ago, and my V45 Sabre with gear indicators. I liked having them and wish they were standard on all the big bikes.

Thanks, Gordon

Left side of bike connector.... Pink w/green stripe is Vehicle Speed Sensor (speedometer pulse)..... Light Green w/red stripe is Neutral Light...... Tap top wire going to ignition coil for Tachometer Pulse....
IMG_2758.jpg

To each his own difficulty... For me it was easy... Find the right wires to tie into, solder, shrink-tube and be done...

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Received mine in the mail. Looks like it will work, just not thrilled with the wire coming out the back. I'll have to rethink my mounting.

Anyone remember or know if the unit is weatherproof?

Bike
2006 ST1300
I noticed that the $25 GPI sold on eBay doesn't show a connection for the clutch signal. I don't know if that's because this GPI doesn't support the clutch signal input, or if the table is simply incomplete. Does anyone know? And if there is no clutch signal input, does the numeric display stay stable with the last gear known while the clutch is pulled in? I could imagine it wandering as it miscomputed the gear while the bike isn't moving.

I was thinking of building one for myself, but then saw the link to the eBay version so I decided to give that a try. The original design and implementation by pdfruth is excellent. Mr. Fruth, thank you for sharing your project with all of us.

Joel

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
When the clutch is in the original goes blank since it will not know what gear you shifted too until you let out the clutch. One of my dislikes all along, new and old. I'd prefer a hall sensor model that looked for and tracked movement of the shift lever.

Top Bottom