Boots boots? what do you wear??

Bike
Vstrom 650
I have expensive Held and Sidi boots, neither are waterproof and for some reason this year my feet are freezing too, looking at buying heated insoles connected to heated vest. just don't like the thought of all the hassle with more wires but better than cold feet I suppose.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I have been reasonably happy with my Milwaukee Road Captain boot's. They are the best quality and most comfortable 6" side zipper boots I have owned. However,,, I have to mention one problem that has plagued them,, and will be the same for other models in the Milwaukee line up that use the same sole. The sole is nice and thick,, which is great for those of use with shorter legs,, and they have excellent grip on all surfaces. But I noticed that I was breaking off the centre tread lugs on the right boot only,,, just under the ball of my foot,,,, which seemed weird. At first I thought it must be from rear brake operation,, but hey,,, I don't jump on the rear binders that hard. Turns out it is from putting the bike up on the centre stand,,, which I do daily. Once those lugs are gone,,, the centre of the forward sole offers no support. It is ok when you are riding,,, but not so much when I am walking/standing. I looked into having them resoled,, but the cost is prohibitive. I would love to get a pair of Milwaukee 7" Throtle double-zip boots next,,, but they use the same sole. So for now,, I am toughing it out,, waiting for M'kee to come up with a different/better sole,,, as this should not happen. Just thought I should report my experiences,,, for others who might be looking at this brand,,, cheers,, Cat'

Last edited:

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have expensive Held and Sidi boots, neither are waterproof and for some reason this year my feet are freezing too, looking at buying heated insoles connected to heated vest. just don't like the thought of all the hassle with more wires but better than cold feet I suppose.
I only ever had one pair of Sidi boots. Black Rain Evo. They were supposed to be waterproof, but they were terrible in prolonged downpours. Also, I had assumed incorrectly that they were leather, but they scuffed and wore down very quickly on the toes - partly, I suspect, because the toe of the boot extended beyond the sole.

Re cold feet. Insulation against cold works by trapping air. Getting the insulation wet, and all of those tiny, insulating air pockets are destroyed. I buy boots as if I would be walking in them all day, and allow space for the socks that I am likely to wear. So dry feet and thick walking socks cure all coldness problems. I've learned the hard way that if I step in a small drop of water when walking around before putting boots on, then the only thing to do is to change into dry socks.

You could try a trick that I've used when cycling in rain. Put your (dry) stockinged feet into a Poly bag before putting boots on, and cut off the surplus. It's not ideal, but your feet will stay drier for longer and you will be able to tell whether having cold feet is due to your socks being slightly damp. The trick doesn't work forever, as your feet cannot dispel any sweat, but it will work for long enough.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
You could try a trick that I've used when cycling in rain. Put your (dry) stockinged feet into a Poly bag before putting boots on
Good idea. And what you may also want to try is using antiperspirant on your feet before putting them in the bag. Drier is better.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
You could try a trick I've used when 'cycling in the rain— don't.

I had two years of daily riding in rain and will never do it deliberately though on my few road trips have always prepared for getting caught. I am way out of my comfort level in the wet.

Plastic bags anti-perperant and great rain gear are all well and good. But I need a steel-belted or Kevlar seat cover.

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
You could try a trick I've used when 'cycling in the rain— don't.

I had two years of daily riding in rain and will never do it deliberately though on my few road trips have always prepared for getting caught. I am way out of my comfort level in the wet.

Plastic bags anti-perperant and great rain gear are all well and good. But I need a steel-belted or Kevlar seat cover.
The scariest part for me about riding in the rain is when it hasn't rained for a while. When we get our first good rain of the year the roads get all foamy and slick as soap. It is like riding on ice. I generally park it for the first week or so.

Bike
ST1300
Red Wings, Danner or LL Bean. I wear what I own. I've never bought motorcycle specific boots.

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Red Wings, Danner or LL Bean. I wear what I own. I've never bought motorcycle specific boots.
I did that for years with no gear. I still don't going on my 20 mile round trip commute. When I am going into the city or going off on a day trip or 3 week trip is when I wear my boots. I do where textile gear and good gloves every time I ride now though.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I bought a pair of Apex riding boots, which are comfortable and waterproof, if I keep them treated. They're great for riding, but not so much for walking. My go to boot is a pair of 6" Wolverine, Durashock, steel toe work boot. I wore this style of boot for the last 15 years, before I retired and got used to standing on concrete all day. They're great for walking and they also do well as a riding boot. As long as I keep them treated with Skidmore's, they have remained waterproof, as witnessed by a foot dab during a creek crossing last summer. Plus they seem to last forever.

John

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
For commuting I wear a pair of Blundstone boots that are just above my ankles. They are very sturdy (but not armoured) and keep my feet reasonably dry in the rain.

I bought a pair of First Gear all weather boots a couple of years ago and they’re good but the construction is cheap so they have sort of died. I’ll have to get new boots this year.

Pete

Last edited:

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Another Blundstone boot wearer here. I have 5 pairs that I rotate through. Water resistant, I apply Fiebings beeswax paste frequently. The blunnies offer fine protection, easy to walk around in, very comfortable. I carry a pair of gortex slip on boots with gators in my panniers and they keep my feet nice and dry from the rain.

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
I wear Scarpa hiking boots, waterproof, good ankle protection and comfortable for walking/working in. I also wear them working as a roofer, where they are also comfortable, waterproof and have good ankle support. Made in Italy, where they know about shoes.

Top Bottom