Boots boots? what do you wear??

Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
Depends on the weather.

In Australia we don't get the really cold weather you can in the USA and CA, but when it drops to around 0[SUP]0[/SUP]C, or less, I wear something similar to these:

(pic off the internet)

With genuine lambs wool lining they do keep the chill out. I picked-up them up at an Army / Airforce surplus store 40 years ago for around $10:00.

If not so cold, and even when warm to hot 35[SUP]0[/SUP]C, I also have a couple of pair of these to choose from:

(pic off the internet)

A tan pair and a black pair (I'm fashion conscious, okay I'm vain). These are Thomas Cook Rebel motorcycle boots, over 20 years old now, been soled and heeled a couple of times, very well worn in, comfortable, can wear them all day, good for walking but not hiking, and with the Cuban heel I'm nearly 6ft tall.

Boot polish thoroughly rubbed-in every long ride or two keeps them water proof, they'll probably last longer than me.

STOC #
Depends on the weather.

In Australia we don't get the really cold weather you can in the USA and CA, but when it drops to around 0[SUP]0[/SUP]C, or less, I wear something similar to these:

(pic off the internet)

With genuine lambs wool lining they do keep the chill out. I picked-up them up at an Army / Airforce surplus store 40 years ago for around $10:00.

If not so cold, and even when warm to hot 35[SUP]0[/SUP]C, I also have a couple of pair of these to choose from:

(pic off the internet)

A tan pair and a black pair (I'm fashion conscious, okay I'm vain). These are Thomas Cook Rebel motorcycle boots, over 20 years old now, been soled and heeled a couple of times, very well worn in, comfortable, can wear them all day, good for walking but not hiking, and with the Cuban heel I'm nearly 6ft tall.

Boot polish thoroughly rubbed-in every long ride or two keeps them water proof, they'll probably last longer than me.
Notice how the soles of these boots are sewn compared to the cheap Italian/Chinese boots that are assembled with glue. Don't waste your money on cheap motorcycle items, you deserve the best quality.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Last year my TM Solution boots started leaking after 6 years using them almost daily (more than just riding in them). Wasn't happy about the reviews on the TM Solution 2 boots so went back to AplineStars with their Ridge 2015 version. No zipper, only Velcro on the outside. At first was concerned about that but after almost a year of using daily find no issues. Waterproof and comfortable. Is a very good boot (IMHO) and within my budget.

Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
Last year my TM Solution boots started leaking ......
Very, very, very liberal application of boot polish, pushed into all the cracks, crevices and stitching with a stiff bristle brush helps keep the boots waterproof. Make sure you thoroughly wipe / polish off all the excess before you walk on the white shag-pile carpet. If you're in my house and you don't, Mrs W will remind in no unclear words and phrases.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I have used the same "harness" style boot as shown in the lower photo in Williamson's post for the past couple of years.

Mine are sold here in the United States under the River Road label, which is an imprest of a distribution company (Tucker-Rocky) that markets goods under about two dozen brand names.

Like him I have a black pair and a brown pair; also like his, both pairs are treated regularly with shoe polish and somewhat less often with Sno-Seal, a wax-based waterproofing agent that is VERY effective once it has permeated the leather and thoroughly worked its way into the joints / seams. I use my heat gun, on its lowest heat setting, to warm the leather before applying the Sno Seal, and again once it has been applied, to help promote absorption into the leather.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Notice how the soles of these boots are sewn compared to the cheap Italian/Chinese boots that are assembled with glue. Don't waste your money on cheap motorcycle items, you deserve the best quality.
Notice the lack of motorcycle specific protection?

My cheap glued together Italian boots with Gore-Tex have armor plate protection and have been re-soled twice.

We each pick what we features we like.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Very, very, very liberal application of boot polish, pushed into all the cracks, crevices and stitching with a stiff bristle brush helps keep the boots waterproof. Make sure you thoroughly wipe / polish off all the excess before you walk on the white shag-pile carpet. If you're in my house and you don't, Mrs W will remind in no unclear words and phrases.
I've used silicone waterproofing spray liberally on my Solution boots at least 3 times. The first 2 times that worked great for the entire season and a bit longer. This last time it didn't work at all. The soles were getting thin anyway so figured it was time for a change. The spray is same as I've used on my tent rain fly and previous pop-up camper. Even sealed a small hole in the fabric with it.

Bike
2006 Honda ST1300
So when I was on a cruiser I higher boots, leather and typical style. Since being on my ST1300, I have switched over to a more sporty style of boot.

These are the ones I used to wear until I lost all traction on the bottom after wearing so much:
http://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Motorcycle-Boots/Firstgear-Mens-Kili-Lo-Boots/365621.html

They are Firstgear Kili Lo boots. Tie with a Velcro strap across the front of the ankle. Super comfortable, waterproof, and great grip for the road.

Now I currently am running with Sidi Insider Riding shoes from Performance Cycle:
http://performancecycle.com/sidi-insider-riding-shoes-2-options/

I have the black with the orange laces. I want to get Red laces.

Also, I am tempted to go back to another pair of the Firstgears I had before. I prefer them over any other boots that I have worn or wear currently.

STOC #
Notice the lack of motorcycle specific protection?

My cheap glued together Italian boots with Gore-Tex have armor plate protection and have been re-soled twice.

We each pick what we features we like.
Yes, that is the kool-aid hype. Do you have any data, website or any other proof the "motorcycle specific protection" actually provides effective protection? Yes, I have crash tested my Matterhorns so I am only speaking to my experience & what I have observed over time.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Re: Fine Italian Leather

Will never buy a spaghetti anything again.
Then... where will you buy spaghetti? I'd recommend avoiding German or Irish spaghetti. Italians make the best spaghetti. And, their meatballs are amazing. Oh! Lasagna! That's awesome too.

And last but not least: Spaghetti PIE! How can you avoid that??? :eek:

Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
Joe ŕocket touring boots comfortable and now they've been to the shoemaker waterproof

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Bike
VStrom 650
Altberg Clubman Gortex. 15 years old and still working fine. £200.00 was expensive at the time but they've stood the test of time.
Upt'North.

Bike
03 ST1300A
STOC #
Depends: I have a set of Bilt waterproof boots I sometimes wear in the winter for commuting. Most of the time I'm in AF issue Lineman boots for commuting. During the summer, I have my Icon Field Armor 1 boots that I love.

I've been wearing these for the past few years. Bought them as a backup pair at work....got a great price on them. Very comfortable, warm on cold days, hot on hot days, my feet will NEVER be wet, pretty comfortable to walk in and ride in. Shifting is not problem. Yes it's overkill as far as protection but they are comfortable and I didn't have to go out and buy another pair of boots just for the bike. I have an older pair of Sidi's I wear occasionally.

https://www.haixca.com/haix-fire-flash-xtreme

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
My Fieldsheers are about the worst pair of boots I ever owned. Wondering if anybody else had bad experience with Fieldsheer (Fast wearing, soles coming unglued, soaking water, zipper not working, top layer peeling off etc). If Shoe Goo wasn't around, would have had to toss them a long time ago.

No even a need for not recommending them, as I don't see any boots on the Fieldsheer site anymore. Good thing.

Top Bottom