Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: boots? what do you wear??

Bike
    '04 ST1300 Blue STar
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Re: boots? what do you wear??

I have been reasonably happy with my Milwaukee Road Captain boot's. They are the best quality and most comfortable 6" side zipper boots I have owned. However,,, I have to mention one problem that has plagued them,, and will be the same for other models in the Milwaukee line up that use the same sole. The sole is nice and thick,, which is great for those of use with shorter legs,, and they have excellent grip on all surfaces. But I noticed that I was breaking off the centre tread lugs on the right boot only,,, just under the ball of my foot,,,, which seemed weird. At first I thought it must be from rear brake operation,, but hey,,, I don't jump on the rear binders that hard. Turns out it is from putting the bike up on the centre stand,,, which I do daily. Once those lugs are gone,,, the centre of the forward sole offers no support. It is ok when you are riding,,, but not so much when I am walking/standing. I looked into having them resoled,, but the cost is prohibitive. I would love to get a pair of Milwaukee 7" Throtle double-zip boots next,,, but they use the same sole. So for now,, I am toughing it out,, waiting for M'kee to come up with a different/better sole,,, as this should not happen. Just thought I should report my experiences,,, for others who might be looking at this brand,,, cheers,, Cat'
    Last edited by Catmandu2; 11-20-2017 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Fusion to Throtle

Bike
    ST1300A9 (2013)
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by broc11 View Post
    I have expensive Held and Sidi boots, neither are waterproof and for some reason this year my feet are freezing too, looking at buying heated insoles connected to heated vest. just don't like the thought of all the hassle with more wires but better than cold feet I suppose.
    I only ever had one pair of Sidi boots. Black Rain Evo. They were supposed to be waterproof, but they were terrible in prolonged downpours. Also, I had assumed incorrectly that they were leather, but they scuffed and wore down very quickly on the toes - partly, I suspect, because the toe of the boot extended beyond the sole.

Re cold feet. Insulation against cold works by trapping air. Getting the insulation wet, and all of those tiny, insulating air pockets are destroyed. I buy boots as if I would be walking in them all day, and allow space for the socks that I am likely to wear. So dry feet and thick walking socks cure all coldness problems. I've learned the hard way that if I step in a small drop of water when walking around before putting boots on, then the only thing to do is to change into dry socks.

You could try a trick that I've used when cycling in rain. Put your (dry) stockinged feet into a Poly bag before putting boots on, and cut off the surplus. It's not ideal, but your feet will stay drier for longer and you will be able to tell whether having cold feet is due to your socks being slightly damp. The trick doesn't work forever, as your feet cannot dispel any sweat, but it will work for long enough.

3. The Following User Likes This Post:

Bike
    2010 Honda ST13
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by jfheath View Post
    You could try a trick that I've used when cycling in rain. Put your (dry) stockinged feet into a Poly bag before putting boots on
    Good idea. And what you may also want to try is using antiperspirant on your feet before putting them in the bag. Drier is better.

Bike
    2005 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

+1 on the Alpinstar Ridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    David
    STOC 8968
    2005 w/ factory topbox

Bike
    ST1300, 2010
    My Gallery

You could try a trick I've used when 'cycling in the rain— don't.

I had two years of daily riding in rain and will never do it deliberately though on my few road trips have always prepared for getting caught. I am way out of my comfort level in the wet.

Plastic bags anti-perperant and great rain gear are all well and good. But I need a steel-belted or Kevlar seat cover.
    Don't tell me what I know. Tell me what I don't know.

Ride safe, ride often.

Bike
    2005 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by ST Gui View Post
    You could try a trick I've used when 'cycling in the rain— don't.

I had two years of daily riding in rain and will never do it deliberately though on my few road trips have always prepared for getting caught. I am way out of my comfort level in the wet.

Plastic bags anti-perperant and great rain gear are all well and good. But I need a steel-belted or Kevlar seat cover.
    The scariest part for me about riding in the rain is when it hasn't rained for a while. When we get our first good rain of the year the roads get all foamy and slick as soap. It is like riding on ice. I generally park it for the first week or so.

Bike
    2007 ST1300A
    My Gallery

Here is a thread I started when looking for boots. I chose Daytona Road Star boots Goretex. I also wrote a review of them too.
    Hope this can help you.

http://www.cbrxx.com/showthread.php?t=37513

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Likes This Post:

+ New Posts
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526