Boots boots? what do you wear??

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm a little confused as to how a boot that has mesh/perforation can have any water resistance of any significance.
It's not the mesh that matters for the water resistance. It's the nature of how Gore-Tex works. Also certain other plastic based membranes. They are designed with "holes" that are so small that vapor, as in air or water vapor, can pass through but water droplets cannot pass through. Water droplets are way bigger than vapor molecules so are blocked. Gore-Tex is the best at doing this compared to almost any other membrane. The one caveat is that when any such membrane becomes coated with water, as when it rains on it, those "holes" do become blocked and stop passing air and/or vapor as well, or at all, as when it's dry. Therefore, as some have said before, any water barrier/membrane that is well designed will pass air/vapor OR block water/rain but not likely both at the same time. ALL boots and gloves and any other mc gear that have a waterproof liner in them will be warmer than any other gear without such a liner since the waterproof liner is not as open as pure mesh. So since my XCR boots do have a lot of mesh with a Gore-Tex liner behind that they do pass a lot of air... when dry. But they will block the water when it's raining. Boots with mesh and no waterproof liner will pass more air, but they are also NOT waterproof by any means. These boots, and any like them, will pass air through the boot, just not as much as a boot with no rain liner.

The mesh and perforated leather allows less restricted air flow into the boot, but it's the Gore-Tex behind it that blocks the water.

Hope that helps.

Just because something has gor-tex doesnt make it great for water. Sewing, seaming technique in the manufature of the prduct mean alot as well.....jmeo

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Makes sense Bob. I am very familiar with how Gore-Tex works and have a lot of gear equipped with it. Living where I do I don't have any mesh clothing however so I wasn't even aware that they sold mesh gear with Gore-Tex liners. Good to know as the summers, if last year is an indication, seem to be getting hotter here and mesh gear might be in my future.

I use mesh alway,s its just too hot (humid) in the south. I end up dressing in layers as I travel since temps can go from 95+/35c to 35/1.5c depending on location. For hot temp its just mesh, for colder temps its, (comes with mesh jacket, vest, liner) thermal liner, gor-tex liner, jacket, rain coat. Lower side Bohn armor, mesh pants, rain pants. This will work to about 35/1.5C degrees MOL without being totally miserable. The feet/hands are the weak link in freezing weather. Now I have cold weather gloves and heated grips its only the feet getting cold. People complain about having to stop to change layers but I prefer the comfort.

My feet are US size 11.5 4E to a 6E - anyone have *any* suggestions? I can't find any boots anywhere that run that wide. I have an older pair (25 years) that I am having resoled...

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I use mesh alway,s its just too hot (humid) in the south. I end up dressing in layers as I travel since temps can go from 95+/35c to 35/1.5c depending on location. For hot temp its just mesh, for colder temps its, (comes with mesh jacket, vest, liner) thermal liner, gor-tex liner, jacket, rain coat. Lower side Bohn armor, mesh pants, rain pants. This will work to about 35/1.5C degrees MOL without being totally miserable. The feet/hands are the weak link in freezing weather. Now I have cold weather gloves and heated grips its only the feet getting cold. People complain about having to stop to change layers but I prefer the comfort.
You need to get electrics! Way less hassle, more comfortable, more flexible, no layers and good from 0°F on up. You’ll wonder why you waited so long.

ATA

Bike
2007 ST1300
I wear Bates tactical side zipper w/ leather front & mesh side/upper. Great for 35*F & up. About $100

Bike
2020 Tracer 900GT
STOC #
I have a pair of TCX and Sidi Canyon

Sidi Canyon Gore-Tex Boots
The Sidi Canyon Gore-Tex Boots are perfect for daily commuting or long range sport touring. The waterproof yet breathable Gore-Tex membrane is guaranteed to keep you dry and the top grain leather construction will certainly keep these boots in your stable for many years to come. The ratcheting instep buckle keeps your heel firmly planted and the thick soles will dampen any road or engine vibrations being sent through the pegs.
Features:
  • Top grain leather construction
  • Contrasting texture upper
  • Equipped with a GORE-TEX waterproof-breathable membrane
  • VELCRO® brand closure system above the ankle
  • Micro adjustable strap system below the ankle
  • Full length inner gaiter
  • Rigid nylon innersole
  • Removable arch support
  • Internal heel protection
  • Internal ankle protection
  • Internal toe protection