Gloves Should I be concerned? AeroStich Deerskin gloves!

OP
OP
dmulk

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
So, I figured I would update this thread.

I ended up purchasing a pair of ropers as well as a pair of #466, Tan, Gauntleted ELK / Deerskin goves

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Aerostich-Elkskin-Gauntlet-p-16824.html

I road with the gauntleted gloves today I they felt GREAT! They are also a lot better made than the Deerskin only gloves. They have a wrist strap as well as a TF2 memory foam sewn across the knuckles. They also have an extra layer stitched into the palm of the hand.

They feel much more secure when compared to the ropers.

For what it's worth....they appear to be EXACTLY the same material (as well as stitch pattern and thickness) as the original ropers.

I think I have found a good touring alternative to my Teknic race gloves.....

<D>

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
ummm,

The ropers aren't deerskin, they're elkskin. Big Difference!

Reading your post I couldn't tell what you were referring to, the deerskin gloves or the elkskin ropers...

OP
OP
dmulk

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
Aerostich calls them "Elkskin Gauntlets" in the link.

They say they have deerskin in them....but comparing them to the ropers, side by side....the gauntlets appear to be the same material as the ropers....I can't find any place on the glove that "feels" different......the texture is identical.

<D>

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
I went and looked at them, they looked pretty nice!

That's the only complaint I ever had with the ropers, that sometimes the wrists got a little cool on marginal days.

Thanks!

OP
OP
dmulk

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
No worries Don.

I'm pretty convinced that they either haven't updated the text on their site to reflect a production change OR the text is just wrong. Some of the pictures aren't current.

The gloves I got were the Light Tan model, but there was not a "snap" on the gauntlet. It's now Velcro like brown and black models.

Also, when I look really close at the material, it has an identical "porous" look as the ropers....it just has added knuckle protection as well as palm protection.

I like them.

<D>

OP
OP
dmulk

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
UPDATE: I've done about 300 miles on these now and I LOVE them!! Really breaking in nicely.

The only complaint I have (and it's not really a complaint) is that the gauntlet should be flared (and larger) to the outside of the wrist, instead of the inside....I think if they made it and equal size in diameter this would "solve" the issue.

Anyway... I love them and will be sticking with them as my main gloves.

I'll either keep the ropers as a backup or put them up for sale in a bit...

Cheers!

<D>

OP
OP
dmulk

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
Interesting....

The 'stitch gauntlets have an added TF2 memory foam insert across the knuckles which I like a lot....

<D>

OP
OP
dmulk

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
So....it's been 10 YEARS! Here's an update....I still have these Aerostich Gauntleted Elkskin Ropers and I still love them. I have alternated them with the regular ropers over the years BUT I'm finding I like them the best and am using them more and more. I finally ordered a second pair in the lined cold weather version. Very happy with their durability and comfort. Make sure if you order the lined winter version that you go 1.5-2 sizes LARGER than your normal glove size. They even recommend it.

Cheers!

<D>

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
These gloves fit great. Snug, but not too tight. Certainly won't fall off my hands easily.....but....there is no back hand protection.
I know this is an old thread, but protection for the back of the hand is something I've wondered about for a while. It seems to me that in the event of meeting the pavement, the natural inclination is to put one's palm down. If I'm right, this means that palm protection is more important than knuckle protection.

Granted, motorcycle gloves with knuckle protection look cool, but is that really where abrasion protection is needed?

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I know this is an old thread, but protection for the back of the hand is something I've wondered about for a while. It seems to me that in the event of meeting the pavement, the natural inclination is to put one's palm down. If I'm right, this means that palm protection is more important than knuckle protection.

Granted, motorcycle gloves with knuckle protection look cool, but is that really where abrasion protection is needed?
In some cases you have time/presence of mind/whatever to put your hands out before impact, and in some cases you don't, so yes, knuckles sometimes make contact with the pavement.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
So....it's been 10 YEARS! Here's an update....I still have these Aerostich Gauntleted Elkskin Ropers and I still love them. I have alternated them with the regular ropers over the years BUT I'm finding I like them the best and am using them more and more. I finally ordered a second pair in the lined cold weather version. Very happy with their durability and comfort. Make sure if you order the lined winter version that you go 1.5-2 sizes LARGER than your normal glove size. They even recommend it.

Cheers!

<D>
Dan, thanks for the update!! Good to know that, after ten years, you are still impressed with these gloves. I've been using the Elkskin Ropers for the last couple of years and really like them. I just got a pair of the Elkskin Gauntlets recently for colder weather and I like them so far but I really don't have a lot of miles on them yet. Good to know that you are still happy. :)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
If given the chance you may instinctively put your hands out palms down but there's no assurance they'll remain in that position for any length of time. And in an initial collision with something solid prior to hitting the pavement ('where the world is your belt sander') there's a very good chance you'll bang a knuckle or two in impact.

There may be glove manufactures that skimp on palm protection because they armor the knuckles but I haven't noticed that.

Like anything to do with riding a bike— you pays yer money and you takes yer chances. You don't really know what kind of crash you'll have until it happens. Trying to prepare for every eventuality is a fool's errand and sucks fun out of riding in the first place.

You can cover some of the bases some of the time... [...] but you can't cover all of the bases all of the time. So you do what you think is right and hope for the best.

Bike
VStrom 650
From experience, a very bad experience, I.E. Sky, road, sky, road, sky........please let it stop soon experience, gloves are an important part of your kit and in Europe all gloves sold as bike gloves will have to be CE approved soon, although they aren't insisting on that you have to wear them just yet, but it won't be long.
My left hand followed the left end of the handlebar through a Rover 400's front wing. I was very lucky to only come out with some pretty bad cuts to the knuckle of my forefinger where the metal had sliced through the protection, but again from experience that finger took months to return to being useable and then months of physio to break down tethering of the tendon to the stitches. For the price of a pair of bike gloves my fingers still on my hand and although not perfect I can still peck my nose!
I do have some pictures somewhere of the damaged bike, if I find them I'll post once scanned in. That's one Pan that never rolled again!
Upt'North.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I think it's safe to generalize that most "comfortable and versatile" gloves you see sold for the mainstream biker are NOT the kind of glove that is ideal in a nice long lowside or a violent highside crash. The ideal glove which have crash protection AND comfort are very spendy. I'll wait for the flames but I've seen riders wear farm gloves that they swear by, mainly for comfort, that would practically fall of their hands just by wiggling their arm. Ironically, many of these riders insist their bike have ABS but then wear gloves that will either fall off or tear up in a crash (not knocking ABS, just note the irony of inconsistent equipment choice.)

I didn't answer your question but you got an opinion that these gloves are probably not good for a hard crash. At least make sure they fit snug.
I find that irony in equipment choice to extend to clothing as well. Some guys insist on and preach about wearing fully armored gear and the highest rated helmets, but buy them in dark colors making themselves difficult to see. I'd rather be seen and avoid actually needing my protective gear altogether which is why I wear Hi Viz jackets and a white helmet. We all have our own weaknesses when it comes to buying gear to protect us. For some it's practicality, for others it's vanity.

Bike
VStrom 650
I find that irony in equipment choice to extend to clothing as well. Some guys insist on and preach about wearing fully armored gear and the highest rated helmets, but buy them in dark colors making themselves difficult to see. I'd rather be seen and avoid actually needing my protective gear altogether which is why I wear Hi Viz jackets and a white helmet. We all have our own weaknesses when it comes to buying gear to protect us. For some it's practicality, for others it's vanity.
In the above carnage I was wearing a white helmet, florescent and reflective jacket, riding a white bike with reflective markings, in good riding conditions and the bike had every light, emergency lighting and all sounds going. The drivers reason for being a numpty, " I never saw you".
Don't rely on a white helmet. Rely on protective clothing which will keep you in one piece if the worst happens.
FWIW.
Upt'North.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
In the above carnage I was wearing a white helmet, florescent and reflective jacket, riding a white bike with reflective markings, in good riding conditions and the bike had every light, emergency lighting and all sounds going. The drivers reason for being a numpty, " I never saw you".
Don't rely on a white helmet. Rely on protective clothing which will keep you in one piece if the worst happens.
FWIW.
Upt'North.
apparently you had both..visible gear which was also protective, which is what I wear too. You can't prevent every accident, people pull out in front of fire trucks with lights and sirens flashing and horn blaring (my brother was a fireman)but you can try. The visible gear is there to help prevent, and the protective part of it is there if it doesn't.

Funny thing about anecdotal evidence. I know a guy that was completely geared up who was in an accident and he still died. Cement truck crossed into his lane and hit him head on. Anecdotally he might as well as not had any protective gear at all on. Had he been wearing sunglasses, T shirt, shorts ,and flip flops and he would have been just as dead.

Top Bottom