hand gaurds

Hi guys,
apologies if this has been covered previosly, has anyone fitted hand gaurds to the 1300 st, i beleive v strom have been used on the 1100 by some folks.

Thanks in advance...:bow1:

STOC #
Interesting. I've thought about that a few times (mostly during cold weather riding). Anyone got a picture of what they look like installed and where to pick up a set?

STOC #
You can order them through Ronayers.com

1 of 57341-27G00-291 - COVER,KNUCKLE,R
1 of 57541-06G10-291 - COVER,KNUCKLE,L
2 of 57431-06G00 - BOLT,LEVER
2 of 08319-21068 - U NUT
2 of 02142-06107 - SCREW

I once tried out the Honda fairing mounted deflectors but found that just doesn't cut it in really cold climates, plus your hands are still exposed to side wind. With the VStrom handguards close to the bars and heated grips I am able to wear lighter gloves too. As an added bonus, they block hot wind in the hot weather and keep the back of the hand sort of shaded from the sun.

BTW, they just slightly kiss the dash at full handlebar lock. But I have never found that an issue during normal bike use.

Attachments

OP
OP
Many thanks paul most helpfull reply ,and nice to see the photo's of the install i will now look further in obtaining a set, where they originally for the 650 v-strom or 1000, or are they both the same , would you know

Regards cliff..............

STOC #
Many thanks paul most helpfull reply ,and nice to see the photo's of the install i will now look further in obtaining a set, where they originally for the 650 v-strom or 1000, or are they both the same , would you know

Regards cliff..............
Ahh, very good question. I believe there is a difference between the guards for the 650 and 1000. I have used both and the ones you see in the picture are the better ones (the other ones do not have the support brace on the outside.) Unfortunately I cannot tell you which one is which. But the ones you see in the picture are the ones I have the part numbers listed.

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Paul

As many of us know....the handle bar end can be seen in part of our mirrors. Does the addition of the hand guards decrease visiblity further?

I think it's a great idea. Maybe you could go over the install...easy, difficult? What's involved?

Thanks

Forest

STOC #
I think I had to do a little trimming. I believe I had to trim the outside end to match the radius of the bar ends. I might have had to slightly trim for the brake reservoir (or maybe that was my VFR.) I do not pinch the outside end between the grip and the bar end. They simply rest against the bar and and it doesn't pose any issue for me.

It's not too difficult to install these. The pivot "bolt" that holds the guard in place simply replaces the existing Honda pivot bolt. Beyond that I suggest you just email me questions if you run into a problem. But it's hard for me to recollect stuff and the bike isn't very accessible in the corner where it's stored for the winter (so wait until Spring if you need help.) :)

They do not obstruct my mirrors. BUT!!! That is for my height (6') Some shorter people have said that it does partially block the mirrors. I haven't seen their installation to know exactly what they are doing.

STOC #
Paul are these easy to put on and take off? I would like to be able to remove them for the summer.

PB
If you don't mind leaving that ugly Suzuki pivot bolt in place, it's a matter of one screw to remove each guard. After four seasons of using handguards, I no longer bother taking them off for summer. I found there is some protection from the sun and hot wind for the hand and knuckles. In other words, they wind up helping the hands more than I gain by having the wind exposure. At least that is what I think. Plus if I ever decide to go for a planned off-road adventure :eek:, I'll be all set. :)

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
OK, dumb question time. Are these compatible with a throttlemeister, or similar bar-end throttle lock? (I have a Kaoko brand lock.)

STOC #
OK, dumb question time. Are these compatible with a throttlemeister, or similar bar-end throttle lock? (I have a Kaoko brand lock.)
Not a dumb question at all. It's hard to describe but I do not interlock the outside support between the grip and the bar end as it was designed. I dremmeled away the fingers for that purpose and the outside support lightly touches the bar end. It's hard to see but the third picture in messgae #4 shows the outside support resting against the bar end. There is no reason why a bar end lock won't work. FYI, I use an thumblock.

Last edited:
Have been watching this thread thinking I might try it if I can get past the parts cost. But that last post Larry put up has me wondering just what I am looking at on the tank of this St1100. Just seems to be more that what I see when I look at my 1100 from the same angle, trick of light or what

Attachments

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
The gaurds and hardware are about 55.00.
The unit on the tank appears to be a cd player/radio. That is just a good picture of the gaurds that I have so I used it as I don`t have my set mounted at the time.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
I have VStrom handguards mounted to my 1300. They work great and don't look too bad either.
+1 on the V-Strom handguards. Installed mine a few days ago, and I can now wear my summer gloves in temperatures 10-degrees cooler than I used to. I modified the ends of my guards to clip onto the bar-ends, and mine do not "kiss" the dashboard at full-lock. Thanks for posting the part numbers!:bow1:

Top Bottom