Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proper Size for California Scientific Windshield

Bike
    '05 ST1300
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Proper Size for California Scientific Windshield

I'm thinking about buying a CalSci windshield, and I'd like some input on the proper size. I'm about 6'1" tall, with a 32" inseam. CalSci shows four different sizes, from short to extra large, on their website. "Short" is apparently the same height as stock, and an inch or two wider. "Medium" is 1.75 inches higher, and the same width as short. "Large" is 3.75 inches higer, and a little wider than medium. I'm not sure that I need much, if any, additonal height; I'd like to be able to run the shield low around town when it's hot, and I prefer to look over the shield all the time. It appears that the medium size might be the best choice. Does anyone, particularly people my size, have experience they'd like to share?
    Last edited by roginoz; 02-08-2008 at 09:45 AM.
    Roger Smith
    '05 ST1300 '09 KLR650 '12 XR1200X, '73 CL350

Bike
    sold dec 31 14
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Re: Proper Size for California Scientific Windshield

I am 5'10" tall and use the short. It is the same height but mounts a little higher. All the way up I look through. You can also mount the shield in the high bracket and get it up a bit higher. I find it to be quieter than stock in most wind conditions.

R.I.P. - 2010/11/19 Austin city limits's Avatar
    Bike
    2006 ST1300 ABS
    East Central Illinois... 12 miles from Moonshine...
    My Gallery

Me??? My Opinion???

The Large is the same price as a Medium... Buy the large,,, and if to tall you either put it in the lower holes and raise it up more,,, or,,,

Get the Dremel out,,, and prove you are a red blooded American Male and cut an 1 inch or so off!!!

Honestly,,, the lower you ride with it,,, the more sleek the angle of the shield,,, the quieter the air you ride in...

Guys I see having a shield 87% all the way up,,, have the "Barn Door Effect"

(((scientific term us scientist use)))

as the shield stand more straight up and down,,, it HAS to buffet more...

Get a taller shield,,, run with it more down,,, and less buffeting...

I am about 6'3" and bought the LARGE. I then ended up cutting it down to the stock height. I always like to look over the screen and the LARGE as it was took away just a little too much summer air for my taste.

Good luck with your purchase.

My Gallery

I'm 5'10" and thinking of the same thing. For those with the short (about same size as stock) is there any difference, or do you need to get the larger ones to get it quieter, less turbulance??
    KEN
    2009 ST1300A

R.I.P. - 2010/11/19 Austin city limits's Avatar
    Bike
    2006 ST1300 ABS
    East Central Illinois... 12 miles from Moonshine...
    My Gallery

Me??? My Opinion???

A Calsci shield will be quieter than ANY,,, standard shield... All you have to do is read why...

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Fairing.html

And,,, believe me,,, I have tested at this time 5 different shields for the ST... So far,,, without a doubt,,, the Calsci is the only one that,,,

Has perfectly clear vision through... Even though I look over my shield,,, there are still times I want to look through it...

Less back pressure and helmet pushing down/forward while riding... Calsci does this by changing the angle the shield is attached on the bike... It has more of a angle back than a standard shield... How??? Mark uses thick acrylic Washers with longer bolts to attach with... It might sound goofy,,, but,,, Simple is good and this is 1 time I think this is correct...

I have went as far as tying colored string 6 inches long on a pencil and while riding,,, holding the pencil in areas around the shield to see flow of air,,, and how clean the air is around me... Sounds goofy but,,, amazing the differences from Shield to shield... So far,,, the Calsci shield is far LESS dirty air around me,,, near me,,, away from me...

So,,, if the standard height is ok for you on a original shield??? The same height I am guessing will work,,, better...

I am so frigg'n tall mid-body that I HAD,,, to get the tallest shield he made... So,,, I am not anyway near an expert on recommending what size each and everyone should buy... But,,, I once again would trust what Mark says on the subject...

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo...ng.html#Height

Bike
    2005 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

I've had the large for about 2 years and been very satisfied. Back pressure from the stock shield on the helmet was the big one for me. Man I hated that.

Begin the day with a friendly voice, a companion unobtrusive..plays that song that's so elusive and the magic music makes your morning move!

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Austin city limits View Post
    Me??? My Opinion???

A Calsci shield will be quieter than ANY,,, standard shield... All you have to do is read why...

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Fairing.html

And,,, believe me,,, I have tested at this time 5 different shields for the ST... So far,,, without a doubt,,, the Calsci is the only one that,,,

Has perfectly clear vision through... Even though I look over my shield,,, there are still times I want to look through it...

Less back pressure and helmet pushing down/forward while riding... Calsci does this by changing the angle the shield is attached on the bike... It has more of a angle back than a standard shield... How??? Mark uses thick acrylic Washers with longer bolts to attach with... It might sound goofy,,, but,,, Simple is good and this is 1 time I think this is correct...

I have went as far as tying colored string 6 inches long on a pencil and while riding,,, holding the pencil in areas around the shield to see flow of air,,, and how clean the air is around me... Sounds goofy but,,, amazing the differences from Shield to shield... So far,,, the Calsci shield is far LESS dirty air around me,,, near me,,, away from me...

So,,, if the standard height is ok for you on a original shield??? The same height I am guessing will work,,, better...

I am so frigg'n tall mid-body that I HAD,,, to get the tallest shield he made... So,,, I am not anyway near an expert on recommending what size each and everyone should buy... But,,, I once again would trust what Mark says on the subject...

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo...ng.html#Height
    YOU should get commission... you got me sold ! The stock shield is good for me in the lower brackets and I think the calsci has to go in the top brackets so maybe a medium will do.. and I have the mirror deflectors too..
    lI'll clear that up when I phone...
    l just have to wait abit as I have to phone wayne and order some motoport pants first...

thanks

Bike
    2003 ST1300A
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by roginoz View Post
    Does anyone, particularly people my size, have experience they'd like to share?
    Well, not your size, I'm 5'11". I have a Calsci short, and love it.

I went from stock to a Cee Baileys with vent, and was fairly happy, but when planning a very hot trip in 2005 I wanted more air so I bought the Calsci short with the intention of only using it for very hot weather, and putting the Cee B back for everything else.

But my experience with the short Calsci was so excellent that I never took it back off. It does pass more air, but it is extremely smooth air, more so than the Cee B. The short doesn't have vent options, because the bottom of it is cut up high to serve the same purpose that a vent would. It works very, very well. It gets the thumbs up from my pillion (5'2") as well.

I never really run with it all the way up... it seems that once it gets to a certain height I don't get any benefit from taking it higher... so even at 6'1" I think there is a good chance you would like it.

My Gallery

The "calsci" website mentioned above by Austin City Limits is an informative and enjoyable read even if you aren't buying a new windscreen now. It includes a procedure for getting the correct screen height for you. Also, tech info on plastics used for, aerodynamics of, and cleaning solutions for MC windscreens. There is a ton of good information on all things MC on this site!

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast