Article [11] ST1100 - Clutch R&R - Detailed Pics

Bike
1998 Honda ST1100
STOC #
Doing some clutch work on my high mileage ST today and took a few pics. The bike has 380,000 kms on the clock (236,000 miles) and this clutch is original.

I am also doing a complete makeover of the auxiliary electrical system, replacing the water pump, oil pump, timing belt, belt tensioner, idler pulley, replacing all the fork internals, as well as all the regular maintenance. And I have a lot of regular maintenance to do on the KLR, too!

The bike has a ton of stuff removed, including the forks and radiator.

I was having a hard time holding the clutch still to remove the nut. My solution was to wire it up. It worked. The nut was tapped at the factory to indent a portion of the center of it into a slot in the shaft, to form sort of a woodruff key. This bend had to be straightened out to remove the nut. (30mm)

Another view.

Another view of the bike. Battery and grey side panels are removed for electrical work.

Here is the clutch out of the bike. The part on the right inserts into the center of the clutch plates on the left. There are ten frictions plates, and nine plain steel plates between them. The two friction plates on each end of the sandwich are different part numbers than the others and look slightly different.

The clutch housing coming out of the bike. Inside the bike, the gear on the crankshaft is visible in the upper right portion of the cavity. It is cut on an angle and engages with the gear on the housing.

Springs on the back to reduce shock to the drivetrain in case of sudden engagement of the clutch. In the center of the clutch housing, you can see the long roller bearing.

Inside the engine, the chain drives a gear for the oil pump. Splines on the shaft engage the center portion of the clutch assembly. All of the forward torque of the engine which pushes the bike forward is applied to those splines. They look fine on both mating surfaces on my machine.

Lots of new parts to go back on this machine. The black plastic panels have to come off so I can do the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, and idler pulleys.

OP
OP
Thane
Bike
1998 Honda ST1100
STOC #
Re: ST1100 Clutch R&R - Detailed Pics

Here is a pic of the new water pump.

It's made by Keihin, the carburetor folks!

Oh boy, that's a big job!

OK, belt removed, pulley removed, tensioner removed, seven bolts removed.

Uh oh, pump will not come out until I remove a cam pulley and housing. Time to order another gasket!

Here's the new pump, and the old pump. Bearing on the old thing spins up just as well as the new one. Oh well, can't be too cautious I suppose.

More to come....

alan

R.I.P - 3/20/2011
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST1300
STOC #

Nice pictures. I assume that you are also replacing the cam belts? Looks like a lot of work,

How do the clutch plates measure up? Still in spec or down a bit? If you can get to 380,000kms without much drama (even in a car!) do a few big jobs sometimes is well worth it.

OP
OP
Thane
Bike
1998 Honda ST1100
STOC #

How do the clutch plates measure up? Still in spec or down a bit? If you can get to 380,000kms without much drama (even in a car!) do a few big jobs sometimes is well worth it.
I will measure this and post...

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #

Jeeze, Thane. Your poor MC is so torn down that it's hard to tell it's green:)

So. Origingal clutch. Original Water Pump. Have you changed the timing belt once or twice? I've heard of guys changing the water pump with the belt, what do you think? Not? Good. I'm pretty darn cheap and it's comming pretty quick:)

Thanks for the pics and the time, I'm sure I am not the only one that appreciates them.

Bike
FJR 1300A
STOC #

Wow 236,000 miles I guess with 56,000 miles on mine I won't be doing it for a while,was it slipping on you or was it something you were going to do anyway?

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #

GAWD Thane, that first picture looks like something out of a horror movie! ("... Heez brainz, I can see heez brainz!'). :)

Does all of that electrical spaghetti go to your numerous farkles?

OP
OP
Thane
Bike
1998 Honda ST1100
STOC #

Have you changed the timing belt once or twice? I've heard of guys changing the water pump with the belt, what do you think?

I've changed the belt twice before. This would be my third change and fourth belt! I wouldn't bother changing the pump on each belt change. Seems like overkill! My pump was still in good shape.

OP
OP
Thane
Bike
1998 Honda ST1100
STOC #

Wow 236,000 miles I guess with 56,000 miles on mine I won't be doing it for a while,was it slipping on you or was it something you were going to do anyway?
I had two problems with the clutch system. The clutch was indeed slipping, and also the master cylinder was leaking fluid past the piston, causing the clutch to drag. I have a brand new slave cylinder for the bike, and a rebuild kit for the master.

OP
OP
Thane
Bike
1998 Honda ST1100
STOC #

Does all of that electrical spaghetti go to your numerous farkles?
Yes! I am replacing my old Cycle Comm with a new JMCB 2003 DU, and replacing my old driving lights with FarkleMaster genyoowine HID driving lights.

I am also replacing the entire auxiliary power system that drive the jacks for the heated clothing and all the other stuff!

SilverSTreak

Bill Royal
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #

Thane,

re:
I had two problems with the clutch system. The clutch was indeed slipping, and also the master cylinder was leaking fluid past the piston, causing the clutch to drag. I have a brand new slave cylinder for the bike, and a rebuild kit for the master.
So are you replacing the clutch plates or springs or both?

I've had some minor slippage on my '91 with 143K and from what I've read from other experiences it seems the most likely culprit would be my springs.

Just curious

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #

I am replacing my old Cycle Comm with a new JMCB 2003 DU,

Lemme know how it goes. I'm facing the same thing.... ditch the 10 year old CycleComm that is just about gone with a J&M CB. It's a bunch o' bucks and I'm not sure how it all integrates (especially with my radar detector).

Speaking of radar detector, my V1 just about went up in flames today there were so many cops on the road both north and south of Dallas. Never seen anything like it. I'm on my way to Tulsa then over to the twisties of southern Missouri and northern Arkansas tomorrow. The weather is perfect!

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #

Most excellent! :bow1: Great post and pics. Thanks!

OP
OP
Thane
Bike
1998 Honda ST1100
STOC #

Nice ST, Mike. And way to go on the Prelude. It will keep on going and going based on my recent experience with a Civic!

OP
OP
Thane
Bike
1998 Honda ST1100
STOC #

Clutch plate thickness min spec is 54.2mm. Mine were down to 49!

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #

quit riding the clutch Thane!!!

:D

Mark

number9

Jason
STOC #

That's impressive Thane. Keep up posted with updated and those great pics. Maybe someone else will need to go by them someday :D

Top Bottom