How do you gear for commuting?

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
To those of you who commute to work on the ST: I'm wondering what you wear to and from work?

• Do you wear full gear (i.e. jacket and pants or Roadcrafter)?
  • Do you wear a riding jacket and regular pants?
  • Do you wear riding boots or regular work shoes?
  • Do you wear a Birthday Suit?

I've made a commitment to commute, and I'm starting to wonder about the logistics of rain-or-shine work jaunts.

Bike
ST1300 SOLD
STOC #
Both, I have a 16 mile ride to work, and the Roadcrafter does a great job of keeping me dry. But after 6/17/08, I don't have to worry about work or how I look, retirement starts on the 18th!

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I've been wearing a helmet, gloves, boots (recently Oxtars, but always something designed for riding), jacket (FirstGear Scout III) and... jeans... since day one. Last year I found myself uncomfortable with the jeans and ordered the 'Stich, which will replace the jacket and augment the pants. The 'Stich is in Duluth being altered, and I feel nekkid riding without it.

My commute is about 23 miles and 40-50 minutes, on mostly suburban roads at speeds ranging from creep-and-beep to 60.

And I only ride nekkid at FinweSTOC.

--Mark

Last edited:
Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Commute no ice none predicted.
Commute rain predicted but not raining in the morning.
Mostly cage it if its already raining in the morning.
Boots Riding Jacket Jeans. (stupid eh?)
Looking for pants locally. Leaning towards Olympia Air Glide.

tdeboeser

that's not me!
STOC #
Rain, shine, cold ( 18degs - for 40 mins max!! ). Full gear (jacket pants) even in summer - my last jacket wasn't mesh, this years is. I will say some days I don't were the pants. I were my boots ( Oxtar matrix ), I keep nice shoes at work.

I'm a bit lucky as I have a place to hang dry ( with good ventilation ) my wet gear. Some mornings if the rain is really heavy I won't ride, those days seem to be few.

I'd like the convenience of a 'stich, but they seem like they be pretty warm - and I can't afford one right now.

On days where I wear less I feel unsafe and nervous, probably because I wear full gear all the time. But for years, before I could acquire the right gear ( or better gear ) I wore just a jacket...

Forecasting can be a pain here in DC. They can call for morning rain, but It'll be light rain, and stop before I get to work in the cage... kind of a pain to watch other motorcyclist riding by you in the HOV's :p.

I have found motorcycle tires ( on all the bike i've ridden ) have no issue in the rain, in fact, as long as your careful the bike will handle almost as well as it does on dry pavement. Careful braking and distancing is a must.

HTH,

Tom de

Last edited:
To those of you who commute to work on the ST: I'm wondering what you wear to and from work?

• Do you wear full gear (i.e. jacket and pants or Roadcrafter)?
  • Do you wear a riding jacket and regular pants?
  • Do you wear riding boots or regular work shoes?
  • Do you wear a Birthday Suit?

I've made a commitment to commute, and I'm starting to wonder about the logistics of rain-or-shine work jaunts.
I wear a riding jacket with armor, ankle supported shoes, riding pants, and birthday suit under it all. Sometimes my roadcrafter.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I'd like the convenience of a 'stich, but they seem like they be pretty warm - and I can't afford one right now.
I had mine out during January when we had those 70-degree days and opened the vents a bit on the way home. I was quite impressed by how cold I was by the time I arrived.

I'll keep you posted on how it does this summer.

--Mark

OP
OP
EASt

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
The only time the Roadcrafter gets uncomfortably warm for me is on a hot day and in stop-and-go traffic. Even then, it's only hot around my thighs and knees, where there just doesn't seem to be any air moving thanks to the ST having ample fairings.

I'm thinking Roadcrafter for 75% of my daily commutes - particularly rain days. I just don't feel comfy commuting in a pair of thin work pants or khakis. I'm convinced that the odds of me getting into an accident are much more likely during an urban commute than a weekend ride.

So many distracted cage-drivers rushing to work... I want the armor and protection.

On those super, super hot days, it may be a jacket, boots and gloves.

That's why I'm so curious about what everyone else is wearing. Also, little hints like keeping a pair of shoes at work are great. :yes:

Bike
ST1300
I commute in full gear and change when I get to work. I am going to start commuting rain or shine.

Rich R

GLMC-127 TS-671 IBA-37479
Bike
K1600 GTLE
STOC #
Full face helmet, Gloves, Riding Jacket, Riding Pants.......but I am guilty of not wearing my better boots. I will just wear tennis shoes for local rides.

Rich

Bike
2008 VStrom 650
I only have a 15min commute and I always put on all the gear like I would do for a normal ride. It takes me longer to don all the gear and take it off at work than it does for the actual ride but I am prepared in case I play hookey or take the longer way home:D

OP
OP
EASt

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
I'm pretty impressed with how many people are going to work ATGATT. I figured it'd be far fewer.

Gonzo

3/4 Century of Trivia
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
ATGATT
100 miles round trip to work. Wear the boots while at work, sometimes the riding pant also.

Back in the sixties I was commuting by moto and it was so funny to me that at midnight when my shift ended, if there was even a hint of rain, all the other wives and girlfiriends showed up with a truck to take those other guys and motorcycles home.

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
Back when I had a day job, I wore Motoport kevlar mesh overpants, motorcycle jacket, full face helmet, gloves & Sidi Vertabre boots. Took a bit of time to put on & take off, but well worth it for a 30 mile each way Orange County commute.

Carried my work shoes in a backpack with my laptop.

Larry

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Motoport Air Mesh jacket (liner if cold; wet vest if hot under it).
8" leather boots and gauntlet gloves.
Helmet.

Air Mesh pants get worn for weekend rides or any trip.

Mark

mashmont

Mike Ball
STOC #
ATGATT ... when commuting.

My trip is through downtown Atlanta. The shortest line is 149 miles round trip, but I try different routes due to traffic so, more like 155 or more.

I'm on a detail to this new location and have been doing this commute since the end of last November. I don't ride everyday. Some times I'm just not up to the mental and physical gauntlet of dealing with all the drivers that are bent on running me over. Not to mention all the debris that I see almost everyday.

The trip is much better when I go the long way around the city, but I always wear the gear.

Be careful out there, MB

Top Bottom