How do you gear for commuting?

I have between 140-250 mile roundtrip, depending on what store I go to that day. I wear ATGATT, with the only exception being jeans on really hot and humid days. What stinks is I have to change into the monkey suit when I get to work. I try to leave a couple change of clothes at work so they don't get wrinkled in the saddle bags.

toolman

Smiling Every Day
Bike
'21 R 1250RT
OK, somewhat off topic. For you commuters, what do you do with your bike on the days it rains? What I mean is, do you have a cover, park it under cover, or let it get wet? My major complaint about riding on rainy days is all the time it would sit out in the wet while I waste away at work. Still kind of vain, I guess.

As far as riding gear goes - I share the opinion that it must be something you are OK with for short or long, otherwise I would just make an excuse to not wear it. Gloves, boots, riding jacket, full face helmet, reflective vest and mostly jeans. Looking for a good set of pants.

Gonzo

3/4 Century of Trivia
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I use a cover in all weather, sun or rain. Just now it need some minor sewing repair due to the sun damage/rips.

I was getting very bugged, however, that the landscaping people with their leaf blowers would blow all the dirt up under the cover and completely cover the bike with dirt. But what can one do?

STOC #
I always wear a full face helmet, textile jacket with armour, boots, gloves and jeans. When it is colder at the start and end of the season I also wear textile over-pants for added warmth.

It is still very snowy and below freezing up here so riding to work has not yet entered the picture, but I am counting the days until I can get in that first ride!

tkresler

.01% squid
I'm with the rest of the crew, ATGATT. I wear a armored leather or armored mesh jacket and mesh overpants. The pants have liners for when it's cold, but they are a huge pain in the butt, so if it's marginal I skip the liners and just wear the armored mesh. I don't wear motorcycle boots, but I have zip up over the ankle paratrooper boots that work for me.

I started with ATGATT a few years ago for rides to work, and now I do always wear it. It takes a few minutes at the beginning and end of each ride, but I ride in and around Chicago, so the risk is real here. Not to mention that I'm in sales (kinda), so I need to look presentable. I like the mesh pants and jacket because they keep the bugs and road dirt off me. I don't typically ride if it's raining in the am, but I'll ride if it's called for in the PM. Nothing worse than not taking the bike because of forecasted rain that never shows.

I rode last week once, I'm probably back on track for more riding than driving days here in a few weeks.

Last thing about the boots... I find always wearing the same boots is important for a couple of reasons. If you switch shoes a lot, or wear dress shoes, you'll find that shift points feel different, rocks under foot at a stop are slippery, things like that. When I pick a boot and stick with it, I'm much more confident in my foot placement, shifting, etc. I always pack my dress shoes and change when I get to work.
Tim

Last edited:

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I am ATGATT as well I commute about 85 miles each way, when I take the bike its mostly back roads as little highway as possible, I work on an Army resarch and development base so a minimum of long sleeve shirt and long pants and gloves with helmet are required to get on base ( as well as reflective belt or vest) but I go ATGATT to increase my odds.

Bike
07 ST1300A
I commute daily, and gear all the way up: Oxtar boots, Fieldsheer booster insulated overpants, Kili 4 jacket, Gerbing gloves in the winter, or when it gets warmer good leather gloves, and Shoei RF900 except during the peak of summer I usually wear my RJ-Air 3/4 (cant breath in the FF when the traffic is stop-go and temps over 100*).

STOC #
Helmet - Scorpion EXO-700 Burst
Jacket - Hot/Warm Rainy: Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 / Cold/ Cold Rainy: Tour Master Saber
Pants - Wrangler, but moving to Joe Rocket or Alpine Stars gear.

FWIW, The Wranglers worked well at a lower speed ( <15 MPH Laydown a few weeks back, but the lesson was learned)

Boots - Tour Master Solution. But after nearly 3 years of daily use they're due to be replaced so I'm looking at the SIDI Doha.

Gloves - Hot: Joe Rocket Phoenix. Cold and or wet: I haven't found a set I like.

Bike
04ST1300A
STOC #
I was getting very bugged, however, that the landscaping people with their leaf blowers would blow all the dirt up under the cover and completely cover the bike with dirt. But what can one do?
Funny, this is a pet peeve of mine also....thought I was the only one.

Anyway, Jacket (upgraded armor) gloves and lid always. Boots sometimes.

Weekend rides and long distance treks...First Gear pants.

--Bryan
04ST1300A
:04biker:

I commute everyday, rain or shine, 100 miles+. Darien jacket and pants, Schuberth, Warm 'n safe liner for the winter and 3 pairs of gloves based on the weather. I lose the pants in the summer.

Bob

slo~ride

Ride, Eat, Sleep, Repeat.
Bike
18 BMW K1600 GTL
STOC #
I wear a full face Arai helmet, Joe Rocket armored jacket with leather vest over that, Firstgear armored pants and a variety of leather and armored gloves depending on temp. I Work in the construction fields so my boots are of exellent construction, but are not actual riding boots.

I wear this gear every day rain or shine (or snow if not sticking to the road) at any temp. (so far a low of -8 f and a high of 110 f)

Bike
'06 ST1300A
Not quite ATGATT here, MTGATT. Full face or flip face (currently full, previously and soon again flip) helmet, gloves (usually BMW Rally), jacket (Aerostich Darien or Joe Rocket Mesh with leather shoulders and outer arms). I will layer under the jacket as needed, all the way to the my Kanetsu 'lectric jacket w/ hi-tech long underwear. 99% time wear Alpinestar SMX boots, change footgear at work. 95% time wear either Darien pants or Olympia Airglide(?), the Olympia's are preferred for all conditions except wet. The Darien is just too warm to wear commuting here between April and October, although I have done it. Right now my commute is 55-65 miles roundtrip.

One thing you can do to make the ride more comfortable when it gets warm is make sure that your pants are lightweight. Jeans, especially on longer rides, are just too toasty. I've found its more comfortable to wear lightweight "adventure pants" like you'll find here or my new find, these pants by Haggar. While it hasn't gotten seriously warm here yet, my preliminary findings are that in temps up to about 80 they are as comfortable as anything else I've worn under the riding pants. And yes, these very light pants combined with mesh riding pants are more comfortable than jeans, plus they're a heckuva lot safer.

If you do get riding pants and you expect to be doing a lot of stop and go, do not get black!. The pants will be a mini oven, roasting your legs in the sun. That's one of the great things about my Olympia pants, they're silver.

Finally, if its going to rain, I'll ride, but that's because I only have a bike now. Before, when I had the choice, I'd usually drive, but that's largely because when it rains here, the roads become very slick, since it rains rarely.

As far as covering the bike goes so it doesn't get rained on, why? A rained on bike gets the dust rinsed off, as well as softening any bugs so they're easier to wipe off. Rain won't hurt the bike, and depending on the overpants you might wear, sitting on a wet seat won't even dampen your keester one iota. I've had my bike for almost 4 years not, and didn't even have a cover until this past December, and I only got the cover because the bike was going to be sitting 30 feet from Interstate 10 in Fontana, CA (LA area) for weeks at a time. I bought the bike to ride it, not to primp it.

I also used to commute by bicycle. Compared to a dedicated commuting cyclist, we have it relatively easy. We don't need a shower when we get to work... We don't need a private room or bathroom to change our clothes....

tdeboeser

that's not me!
STOC #
OK, somewhat off topic. For you commuters, what do you do with your bike on the days it rains? What I mean is, do you have a cover, park it under cover, or let it get wet? My major complaint about riding on rainy days is all the time it would sit out in the wet while I waste away at work. Still kind of vain, I guess.

As far as riding gear goes - I share the opinion that it must be something you are OK with for short or long, otherwise I would just make an excuse to not wear it. Gloves, boots, riding jacket, full face helmet, reflective vest and mostly jeans. Looking for a good set of pants.

The ST is pretty water proof :D. I don't have covered parking, but I wouldn't matter, if its getting rained on in the parking lot.... then it probably got wet on the away there :p:.

I can vouch for FG HT overpant, even in the summer they aren't bad at all.

Tom de

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I have covered parking at work, and it was a small factor in my decision about which offer to take last time I switched.

--Mark

Birthday suit under my clothes.

Fullface or 3/4 depending on time of year, Motoport Air mesh Kevlar jacket, rarely need my heated liner, Turtlefur neck gaitor, Globe firefighter pants with reflective trim for cold weather, regular uniform (100% wool) pants if above 55', boots, gloves. rarely need my heated gloves with the bike shielding my hands,

Omega.Rider

Weapons-grade stupid
Bike
98 ST1100
STOC #
All the armor even for just the run to get lunch. If it rains, I have a rain suit that I'll wear over the armor.

Top Bottom