How do you gear for commuting?

Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
OK, somewhat off topic. For you commuters, what do you do with your bike on the days it rains? What I mean is, do you have a cover, park it under cover, or let it get wet? My major complaint about riding on rainy days is all the time it would sit out in the wet while I waste away at work. Still kind of vain, I guess.

As far as riding gear goes - I share the opinion that it must be something you are OK with for short or long, otherwise I would just make an excuse to not wear it. Gloves, boots, riding jacket, full face helmet, reflective vest and mostly jeans. Looking for a good set of pants.
FYI on your cover, I just recieved my 1/2 cover from Nate @ NewEnough. NelsonRiggs 100% water proof...$30.00 to my work address.I wear full gear in the AM for my commute of 30 miles unless it's really over 80deg. in the AM then I dawn the Joe Rocket mesh jacket. Usually just jeans on the way back home when it's hot summer days like over 90deg.
Ride safe.
Ed :D

Attachments

Usually just jeans on the way back home when it's hot summer days like over 90deg.
Ride safe.
Ed :D
I have to wear a jacket..I'm afraid someone who throw a beer bottle at me. Then again, in uniform, no one passes me. I could be doing 55 and it looks like as parade behind me...heheheheh

steve3b3

Retired
Bike
2018 GoldWing
I'm another who rides to work ATGATT.
Rev-It 3/4 length jacket
First Gear textile overpants
Oxtar Matrix boots
Rev-It gloves
Schuberth C2 helmet.

I'll switch the jacket out for a First gear mesh or textile jacket, depending on the weather.
I've also just picked up a pair of Held Phantom gloves for my riding/racing.

I keep a set of Frogtoggs in one of the bags in case of rain, and at work, the bike stays out uncovered.

Steve:04biker:

Clair

'01 ST1100
ATGATT here as well any time I ride. THere is no difference to me if I'm commuting or just riding for pleasure.

When riding, the gear is temp dependent ...

Cool/cold weather:
- Firstgear HT Overpants, they're waterproof and insulated. Liner comes out when it warms up some.
- Olympia blinding neon yellow 3/4 Jacket, also waterproof
- Waterproof gloves, olympia insulated in the morning, non insulated for ride home
- Scorpior FF EXO-700 Helmet
- Oxtar Matrix boots, waterproof

Warmer/hot riding:
- Oxtar boots, forget model, breathable but waterproof (goretex)
- Olympia Airglide mesh overpants, awesome liner but mostly wear without
- Olympia blinding neon yellow Airglide mesh jacket, ditto on the liner
- summer gloves with armor
- Scorpion FF helmet

FOr work I'm either in Business Casual or shirt and tie under the above mentioned gear. For pleasure riding, depends on the temps. Summer heat it's boxer briefs under the Airglide pants and tee shirt under the Airglide jacket. I like the saying "Sweat dries faster than scars heal" ... so I'm ATGATT any time I'm on the bike.

I have the same Nelson Riggs half cover that Ed has mentioned above. Great cover for the bike and very affordable. Easy on and off. I have to park in a city parking lot and I like having the bike covered. Not only to keep the elements off and the sun from baking it, but also to keep curious eyes/hands, butts from exploring my bike. A great investment.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Fully geared every time. I bring the work clothes with me, except shoes which I keep at work.
And yes, rain or shine.

Last edited:

TearlessTom

Bike Whisperer
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I'm pretty impressed with how many people are going to work ATGATT. I figured it'd be far fewer.
I think the number is acutally far fewer. Tipically those who respond to polls like this only respond if they have a positive response. (unless it is politics).

I myself have recently come from the cruiser side and do not have that much gear but am looking for more, and better gear just having a hard time deciding.

At present I wear a full face helmet, a leather or heavy nylon water repeallent jacket, and a pair of nylon over pants to help cut the cold wind not that it gets that cold here and some heavy leather gloves.

I typically ride every day swapping out the cruiser on warmer days. I do not ride if there is a high chance of rain on either my way in or home or if the temp is nearing freezing. Don't do ICE! Not that that is ever a problem here I do have to cross a couple of bridges on the trip.

Tom

Top Bottom