Battery Tender or Battery Tender "Jr." ????

STill STylin

Red is ALWAYS faSTer
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
Is one preferred over the other?

Which is the preferred? Also, another minute to explain "why"?

Thanks.

astrogt

astro
i use both. battery tender is a one amp charger, battery tender jr. is three quater amp. charger. i use the jr most of the time because the charger itself plugs into the wall and it has a long cord......

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I have both (actually I have 4 of them..3 of the standards and one junior) and both function as advertised I suppose. My batteries are always good and last for years. I just got the new junior and like it alot. The cord is real long and I can plug it onto the wall and it just hangs there in the outlet and the cord goes out to the bike easily VS having to set the regular unit on the floor or a table. I think the regular unit charges at a slightly higher rate, but either one is good for our M/C batteries.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I use the Jr. plugged in all year round, both bikes, never any problems..

Have had it "auto disconnect" a few times as I pull away still plugged in!

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I assume you're comparing the Battery Tender 'Plus' vs 'Jr'. A quick comparison from the official Battery Tender site:
-- Plus is 1.25A (Jr is 0.75A) - difference is not important unless you find a dead battery
-- Plus has indicator lights - lets you know its working and what mode it's in
-- Plus sets voltage according to temperature - better when stored in very cold or very hot conditions
-- Plus is 10 yr warranty, Jr is 5 yr - your choice
-- Plus is $60, Jr is $40 - your choice

The Plus unit is bigger and the 'box' doesn't plug directly onto the outlet. Instead it has a 3-prong power cord and so you can plug it into the outlet without blocking the other outlet. My understanding is that the Jr unit 'box' plugs directly onto the outlet, and so I think it likely blocks the other plug-in location on your outlet. Just an inconvenience.

I have two Plus units...they work great. Based on other's comments above, sounds like the Jrs are great also.

My only complaint is the cable length of the Plus is lacking--and Deltran's extension cable is 25' long (too long). But I went to a hardware store and found a bunch of 1 foot 2-wire extensions connectors for under $2 each -- they're an exact fit and so I can plug in extra length at any time to reach whichever motorbike I want to plug into and not have a pile of excess cable laying on the floor. Those extensions are available at Ace, Home Depot, Lowes, auto parts stores (look near the trailer hitches or wiring ), or online. Here's an example

-John

Last edited:

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
jbaker I have my junior and an air compressor pluged into the same 2 outlet wall unit. So it doesn't block the other outlet. Also the jr has a light that flashes red when first plugged in, then solid red when charging, then flashing green when battery is 80% charged then a solid green when fully charged.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
jbaker I have my junior and an air compressor pluged into the same 2 outlet wall unit. So it doesn't block the other outlet. Also the jr has a light that flashes red when first plugged in, then solid red when charging, then flashing green when battery is 80% charged then a solid green when fully charged.
Ok, thanks for straightening out my misunderstanding (Bones too). Jr looks pretty good, and my Plus units are also.

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
The plus are great, better than the jr. I use the pluss's on the batteries I bring inside over the winter. I keep the jr on the bike I ride during the winter when the roads are clear enough and it's warm enough. Probably doesn't even need a charger on it but it might go 3 weeks or so without being ridden and I think I picked up the jr for $29 on sale.

Bike
ST 1300A
STOC #
I am in Florida right now and the people here should plug my Battery tender one week every month. That is what they promissed.

But theydid not, so the LED is not RED is not Green, but is ORANGE.

Should that mean I have to buy a new battery??

STOC #
Rene, from my BT manual, Orange light on Junior could mean a bad connection to battery or sulfated battery, on the plus it could mean reverse polarity. Hope this helps.

PB

Bike
ST 1300A
STOC #
Thanks Papa Bear,

The battery was not dead... it died 7 times!
Replaced it today and tomorrow I wil be able to make a trip to Tampa!

I have the Battery Tender Jr. It is charging now.
Back on topic....

Clark Kent

No Kryptonite Please
I have both (actually I have 4 of them..3 of the standards and one junior) and both function as advertised I suppose. My batteries are always good and last for years. I just got the new junior and like it alot. The cord is real long and I can plug it onto the wall and it just hangs there in the outlet and the cord goes out to the bike easily VS having to set the regular unit on the floor or a table. I think the regular unit charges at a slightly higher rate, but either one is good for our M/C batteries.
Whats with all this Battery Tender or Battery Tender Jr.? I just use my standard 12 V charger I use on my cars. It works fine. I put it on for an hr. or so once a month and my batteries are just fine in the spring. (both bike batteries are now going on 5 years old and still working fine) (I do take the batteries out and charge them on the bench. I don't like charging them in the bike. (Fire ect). :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom