Article [11] ST1100 - 40 Amp Alternator Upgrade Video

Packer

Slacker
STOC #
Well, finished the 40amp upgrade last weekend. I'll post some of the highlights and pic's soon but the most interesting thing I learned was a couple of methods to install the alternator through the crossbar. I made a couple of video's and put them up in YouTube:
Here's the 90deg method:

And my personal favorite, the 60deg downtilt method, very quick and repeatable just need to bend the brake bracket up 60deg. Some may have to grind the underside of the bracket:

Enjoy!

Don

Last edited by a moderator:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Re: 40 amp alternator crossbar video's

BOFFO, Don!!! :clap2: :clap2: Thanks for a great addition to the body of upgrade knowledge.

You've saved all future upgraders from possible serious frustration when they reach this critical step in the procedure; and you've probably saved me from having to answer a lot phone calls for a 'consult.' :)

Good work! And congratulations on your upgrade, number 60 with a STOC kit.

[the full size AVI video files will be added to the data CD in the upgrade kit]

Regards, John
[Keeper of the STOC ST1100 40amp Alt Upgrade Tool Kits]

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Re: 40 amp alternator crossbar video's

very nice, I'm moving this to the articles section, w/redirect from the st1100 tech section. Thanks!

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
John:

I've watched the two videos with great interest, because I might have to replace the alternator on my ST 1100 later this week.

Do the videos imply that it is not necessary to remove the swingarm in order to replace the alternator?

Michael

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Do the videos imply that it is not necessary to remove the swingarm in order to replace the alternator?
Sorry, Michael, it IS necessary.

BTW, the last posts in this thread were 11 years ago; the number of successful 40amp upgrades with the STOC loaner tools and documentation kit have gone from 60 then, to over 140 now!

John

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Once the swing arm is removed the swap out of the alternator is painless and done in a matter of minutes. I believe you're planning on bringing the bike home, I do have a swing arm tool you can borrow if needed.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I believe you're planning on bringing the bike home...
Hi Robert:

Although earlier this year I had planned to bring the bike back to Canada, I was hoping to duck that (and the $3,000 round trip air freight charge) by dropping in at Ray's (Upt'North) place sometime next week and doing some maintenance there. But, if I can't get this fluctuating voltage business sorted out, it might mean the moto gets a flight home at the end of this trip.

Michael

jim 91 st

Jim 91 ST1100
Bike
91 ST1100
I hope no one minds comments on an old thread, but I have a similar question to the swingarm q. On my 91, do I need to remove the gas tank? I am using my Clymer as a reference, but more importantly relying on the ideas and directions from this group. Looks like I may have to track down a Lewis Pin too? thanks for any and all advice! :)

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Yes you need to remove the gas tank. Make sure you disconnect the fuel sensor wires prior to lifting the tank out. It’s a brownish red connector located just below the frame rail on the left side. Removing the air cleaner assembly is also a good idea, gives you room to play. (Try and empty the fuel tank too before lifting it out it’s not necessary but makes it easier)

Thanks very much for this video post. It helped so much after having put off my swing arm inspection for so long I finally plunged! That was scary enough. Then I discovered the alternator cracked right through! :(:(:(:(:( Apart from the extra pain in delays and extra expenses for both repairs/services, I am just starting to put it back together. Fingers crossed. Your video was fantastic. Thanks again.

Bike
1994 ST1100
STOC #
There is a traveling tool kit that has everything you'd need to do the job. Has the lewis pin, tools and instructions. I know caused I used it a few years ago.

I hope no one minds comments on an old thread, but I have a similar question to the swingarm q. On my 91, do I need to remove the gas tank? I am using my Clymer as a reference, but more importantly relying on the ideas and directions from this group. Looks like I may have to track down a Lewis Pin too? thanks for any and all advice! :)
I know, cause I used it!

Attachments

There is a traveling tool kit that has everything you'd need to do the job. Has the lewis pin, tools and instructions. I know caused I used it a few years ago.

I know, cause I used it!
Thanks and thanks again. I confess I only used the other method of inserting a shorter 8mm bolt (I think) in one alternator fitting hole, to keep the face plate and housing gubbings still, when taking the alternator off. I hope that makes sense. That face plate and gears stayed inside inside the cavity of the engine. If it isn't broke, I am not fixing it!:D:D:D:D:D:D Cheers.

IndyRob

Site Supporter
Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #
I am curious about this… I am finishing up my 40A upgrade and pondered why the need to pullout the old drive section (not just the stator). What I noticed is that the old 28A stator is OIL cooled so the bearing between the drive section and the stator is NOT an oil seal… whereas the newer one that you use in the current replacement design is sealed in order that the new air cooled alternator does not get soaked in oil from the rear bearing in the drive unit leaking into the new alternator. Have you not had an issue with oil leaking? I would bet that if you pull your alternator today the front is soaked in oil. This may or may not cause an issue… IMHO…

IndyRob

Site Supporter
Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #
Yes, post ‘95 it would be… since those had the air cooled alternator to start with (with the sealed case bearing).

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Um… er… the 40amper’s bearing at the base of the new alt shaft assy’s shaft is not a sealed bearing. Oil can and does pass through it to the cavity between the base plate and the front of the alternator; hence, the o-ring on the front outside lip of the alternator.

John

Sorry, Michael, it IS necessary.

BTW, the last posts in this thread were 11 years ago; the number of successful 40amp upgrades with the STOC loaner tools and documentation kit have gone from 60 then, to over 140 now!

John
Hello I was wondering how we can get the alternater upgrade kit. We have all the parts ordered. We live in Canada, new brunswick.

Top Bottom