Article [13] ST1300 - 1st Significant Service: Coolant, Thermostat, Starter Valve Synch, & Other

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Re: ST1300 - 1st Significant Service: Coolant, Thermostat, Starter Valve Synch, & Oth

Hey thanks for the great write up on the leaks on the 1300. I am having the dealer change all hoses and installing the constant tension clamps. The hoses thermostat and labor are covered under my extended warranty! My bike now has 104,000 miles on it and just started to show the common leaks. I am guessing that the extended coverage was a good buy as I have had my fork seals replaced twice, two clutch switches and one front brake switch at no cost to me. I still have 2 1/2 years left on the warranty. :D

st1300doug

Re: ST1300 - 1st Significant Service: Coolant, Thermostat, Starter Valve Synch, & Oth

Doing the thermostat replacement RIGHT now. This is why this Forum is awesome. Most of the Honda Service department needs to be on here. Great photo's. I appreciate it......now, back to work......

OP
OP
BakerBoy

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Re: ST1300 - 1st Significant Service: Coolant, Thermostat, Starter Valve Synch, & Other

I've noticed my bike leaking a lot of coolant again, not only the occasional winter drip but this summer the condition had progressed to the point it was dripping all the time. So I took a long ride Saturday Aug 2 to get a couple additional Colorado Counties so that I could get the fuel tank emptied. After returning from that ride, I tore the bike down and started a number of services that were due.

The bike had 58,462 miles on it at the time.

:oilleak: Coolant Leak Investigation:

All factory hoses were still in place in the bike, but I had replaced clamps on a number of hoses in previous visits into the abyss. This time, I had all new hoses on the shelf.

Upon tear down I found Hose "G" (hose #20 in the image below) leaking at the connection to the Thermostat Case (part #4). The leak was prevalent enough that over time, the coolant had actually wetted within the wall of the hose along the reinforcing fibers from it's upper end to its lower end. There was no coolant dripping down the length of the exterior of the hose--it was only seeping through the length of the hose.
Coolant hoses.JPG

Hose "G" connection leak at its upper end...
IMG_0705.JPG

Coolant seeping the entire length of Hose "G", oozing out its lower end...
IMG_0700.JPG

From the above observation, and from observing the same indications on the other ends of leaky hoses (examples visible in post #32 above, and another example below, return hose #7 from the right cylinder bank), it is apparent that a leaky hose can show coolant weeping through the fibers from the opposite end.B4237 ST1300 Maintenance coolant thermostat hoses clamps.JPG

So I replaced a bunch of hoses, put in a new thermostat and thermostat o-ring, cleaned up the radiator, put it back together, put new coolant in it, and fixed that latest problem.

:oilleak: Other Services:
I took care of a bunch of other items that were due, those items were routine and uninteresting:
  • Clutch bleed
  • Complete brake system bleed
  • Starter valve synch (still good; no adjustment needed)
  • Cleaned and lubed windshield tracks
  • Cleaned and [again] installed new double-stick tape to upper-most pieces of upper fairing air deflectors
  • Installed new NGK Iridium spark plugs
  • Installed new air filter, EMGO Number 12-91462-AD
  • Refilled the rear shock preload adjuster

The next valve check isn't due for another ~5kmi, so I chose to wait until late winter or spring for that next check.

It's nice knowing the ins and outs of a bike so that maintenance is easy. :thumb:

Last edited:

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #

So did you replace all hoses or just some of them? Did you replace the "O" rings # 24?

OP
OP
BakerBoy

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #

So did you replace all hoses or just some of them? Did you replace the "O" rings # 24?
Mike, no, the small hoses are still in great condition, never leaked, and the hose clamps have never been overtightened. I did buy all of them in case I found one failed.

I did buy the #24 O-rings in case that was the source of the leak. But I didn't find either o-ring joint leaking, so I left them alone.

Have you replaced yours?

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #

No small hoses or "O" rings yet.

Bike
2012 ST1300A

Anyone know off the top of their head how much coolant is needed to refill a drained system? Thanks!

(Search didn't come with anything I could see)

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

I usually buy a qt of Honda Type 2 premix for each service. I can't remember it taking more than a qt at a time but I could be wrong. It won't take all of the qt so I usually have a partial qt on the shelf.

Bike
2012 ST1300A

Thanks Dave. Is that dropping the lower hose only?

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks Dave. Is that dropping the lower hose only?
As someone very nicely reminded me..... It's a gallon not a quart I was referring to :)

When I do a coolant change I pull off the radiator. The lower hose is not at the lowest point in the cooling system so a lot of the old coolant stays in the engine.

If you PM me your email addy I'll send you an easy step by step with pics.

OP
OP
BakerBoy

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #

+1 to Dave's comment... most of 1 gallon of coolant is required NCB.

Bike
2012 ST1300A

Thanks all. I understand that's one gallon of final product- regardless of buying concentrate or RTU.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

Thanks all. I understand that's one gallon of final product- regardless of buying concentrate or RTU.
Specs in the SM show a capacity of 2.81 qt. in the engine and .91 qt in the coolant tank = 3.72 qt.

Bike
2012 ST1300A

Copy that- good to go! Got your file too Dave- thanks.

Bike
2012 ST1300A

Hope you understand- I'll leave that to Dave, since its not mine.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

I'm pretty sure there are issues with that. The original poster of the tech tutorials posted them here at ST-O then took them off to set up a paid subscription site. That site is long gone now.

OP
OP
BakerBoy

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
:fuzz1:Thread revival ...

With the forum migrated into new software earlier this year, my Gallery and all my pics in this thread were deleted.

I've had request for info, so I rebuilt each of my posts fixing the dead emoticons and attaching/inserting all the pictures to go with my text.

Top Bottom