Article [13] ST1300 - 1st Significant Service: Coolant, Thermostat, Starter Valve Synch, & Other

Cam lobes only have to face directly away from the lifters ,(so the pointy end is in a straight line with the lifter body & pointing away from the engine) ,this saves a lot of struggling trying to turn the engine over to the exact marks...On mine I just loosen the spark plugs & turn the engine "very slowly" that way the compression leaks out & nothing can fall in (like dirt).Then look for the ones that line up ,& turn till you get them all done.

STowner1

Mike
Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST 1300
STOC #
I drained the coolant in the ST today, and tried to do it without making a huge mess. I used a 2 1/2 gallon bucket and a water softener salt bag as a liner to help catch the coolant. The bottom of the bag was cut out, and the top taped to the exhaust and the front cover. I carefully pulled the lower radiator hose and ended with 1 drop on the floor! IMG_2824.jpg

Bike
R1200rt
I drained the coolant in the ST today, and tried to do it without making a huge mess. I used a 2 1/2 gallon bucket and a water softener salt bag as a liner to help catch the coolant. The bottom of the bag was cut out, and the top taped to the exhaust and the front cover. I carefully pulled the lower radiator hose and ended with 1 drop on the floor! IMG_2824.jpg
being that the t'stat is behind the hose that will keep the coolant in the block and your only draining the radiator. remove one of the hoses behind the t'stat that will drain the block.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
You can also use a 1 gallon water or bleach bottle, cut the bottom off, and hang on to the handle etc.
The spout that points towards you, and the hose that points away from you both fit inside the bottle (funnel) that you've made, and direct all the coolant down into whatever drain pan your using etc.
The coolant rinses off with plain water, and you can use it over and over again.

STowner1

Mike
Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST 1300
STOC #
You can also use a 1 gallon water or bleach bottle, cut the bottom off, and hang on to the handle etc.
The spout that points towards you, and the hose that points away from you both fit inside the bottle (funnel) that you've made, and direct all the coolant down into whatever drain pan your using etc.
The coolant rinses off with plain water, and you can use it over and over again.
I have the radiator out and found that the inlet and outlet both are egg shaped from being over tightened. I think I saw a post of yours on how to straighten them, but cannot find it. Suggestions? And is there a better clamp to use in this location than the oem?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Before you do anything, make sure you clean out the black overspray paint out of the pipes to keep from clogging up the coolant system.
To straighten out the pipes, you'll need two ball peen hammers, a large one, and a small one.
Lay the radiator down on a pad or folded towel, then put the larger round end of the ball peen hammer into the pipe, then gently tap (several small taps are better than heavy handed ones)
the face of the larger hammer with the smaller hammer.
This should true up the pipes.
Then, do NOT over tighten the clamps, as the radiator is very thin, soft, metal, and as you know, easily damaged.

STowner1

Mike
Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST 1300
STOC #
Before you do anything, make sure you clean out the black overspray paint out of the pipes to keep from clogging up the coolant system.
To straighten out the pipes, you'll need two ball peen hammers, a large one, and a small one.
Lay the radiator down on a pad or folded towel, then put the larger round end of the ball peen hammer into the pipe, then gently tap (several small taps are better than heavy handed ones)
the face of the larger hammer with the smaller hammer.
This should true up the pipes.
Then, do NOT over tighten the clamps, as the radiator is very thin, soft, metal, and as you know, easily damaged.
Thank you!

Top Bottom