Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A car tire on the ST1300???

Bike
    '05ST1300'02FZ1
    Tip Overs:
    My Gallery

A car tire on the ST1300???

People have been using car tires on their motorcycles.I actually talked with a Valkyrie rider yesterday using a car tire on the rear.Said it's the second car tire he's had on it and he got 30k miles on the first one.I wonder if a Size: 205/55ZR17 car tire will fit on the ST? Has anyone ever run a car tire on the rear? I sure would like 30k instead of the 7-8k I get.Anything wrong with using a car tire? It seems like you'd have a much larger contact patch with the car tire.

› See More: A car tire on the ST1300???

Bike
    ST1300
    Tip Overs:
    My Gallery

Re: A car tire on the ST1300???

Look here:

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/show...light=car+tire

Looks like we're out of luck trying to find a car tire to fit the ST.

The Older I Get ... The Better I Was

'03 ST1300A (The one with the faST black wheels)

Bike
    2006 ST1300
    My Gallery

There is a good amount of information on the 'darksiders'. I have not read of anyone that has put a car tire on the ST but you can try it and see how it turns out for ya. There's always the first one.

Personally, I'm in the camp that believes m/c tires are round for a reason, just like car tires are squared off for a reason. The rounded tires provide an even contact patch during turning and m/c tires are designed of specific formulation to give optimal traction for a single track vehicle. Those that run car tires, seem to be happy with them so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

You also might want to consider seeing if that would void your insurance. If the adjuster see's you have a car tire on the m/c, there is a potential to deny a claim. Just a thought.
    "Life is always a choice between greater and lesser risks -- zero risk is not an option." John Stossel
    "Complaining about the heat in Texas is like complaining about water for being wet." Reliant Energy

There was a good write up on one of the GL1800 boards a good while back and the finding was (besides long mileage) was the bike wanted to go back to the upright position in a turn, it did not like being leaned over. I'm too aggressive of a driver to want that to happen to me in the middle of a curve!

Hojo
    2006 ST1300 ABS
    IBA # 24485

My Gallery

An insurance carrier cannot dictate what equipment you use on your bike, as long as it is DOT approved for road use, the correct size weight and speed rating they cannot refuse a claim. This has been tested and proven regarding CT usage.

On a bike with limited ground clearance (cruiser, Goldwing) a car tire has more than enough contact area and does not try to stand up. Run flat tires because of the stiffer sidewall have the same feel of a motorcycle tire with increased tire contact area in turns. On a heavy bike there are a bunch of benefits, better accelleration, braking, wet road, longer life, and higher load capacity. At least on a Goldwing IMO the feeling is a lot more stable in all situations and adds not takes away from the ride and performance.

How do I know this.....first hand experience

Yup thats a V rated Dunlop Sport 3000A 195/55R 16 run flat on my GL so flame on

That being said I would NEVER even consider putting one on an ST, too much lean angle, not enough tire period.

Wearing my nomex undies, Spencer
    (the GL Darksiders have over a million miles on CT's without a failure, compare that to the known rear MC tire failures on the same model....hmmmm)
    Last edited by Spencer; 04-11-2008 at 06:35 PM.
    Contact me for STock Seat Mods
    Spencersmotocare@aol.com
    www.GreatDayToRide.com

'06 ST1300 - '08 oldwing airbagger - '10 Triumph Street Triple R

Bike
    2005 ST1300
    Tip Overs:
    My Gallery

have fun in turns....

Begin the day with a friendly voice, a companion unobtrusive..plays that song that's so elusive and the magic music makes your morning move!

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Kempo-STer View Post
    have fun in turns....
    Yellow Wolf said the same, till he accepted the challenge and ran the Dragon on a CT equipt 'Wing, then made a public retraction.

His biggest surprise was how it launched out of corners and lifted the front wheel
    Last edited by Spencer; 04-11-2008 at 07:18 PM.

R.I.P. - 2010/08/27
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    '05ST1300'02FZ1
    Tip Overs:
    My Gallery

There's not much difference in the nearest size car tire I can find available,(205/55/17) and the ST's (170/60/17). It would make the speedometer more accurate actually.This was the closest tire size I found available.

Tire Size Comparison

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile
    170/60-17 - 4.0in 12.5in 25.0in 78.6in 806 0.0%
    205/55-17 - 4.4in 12.9in 25.9in 81.3in 779 -3.4%General Exclaim UHP (Ultra High Performance Summer)
    Size: 205/55ZR17
    Blackwall
    ZR Speed Rated
    Price: $88.00 (each)

Estimated Availability:
    In Stock

General Exclaim UHP (Ultra High Performance Summer)
    Size: 205/55ZR17
    Blackwall
    ZR Speed Rated
    Price: $88.00 (each)

Estimated Availability:
    In Stock
    Last edited by jdaniels; 05-07-2008 at 05:17 AM.

Bike
    2005 ST1300
    Tip Overs:
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
    Yellow Wolf said the same, till he accepted the challenge and ran the Dragon on a CT equipt 'Wing, then made a public retraction.

His biggest surprise was how it launched out of corners and lifted the front wheel
    I'm sorry. But I'm not willing to be that ginuea pig...

Its the shape of the sidewall that would have me concerned...let somebody else do it..

its not a big friggen deal to me to save a few bucks in mileage in order to not have to spend 300 or so bucks every 10 - 12k

Well...maybe in Florida it would be ok........

My Gallery

JD,

It not the size but the lean angle that would be the problem. The GL and Valk's max lean angle go right to the usable tread surface of the CT. The ST would exceed that and you would be on the sidewall, then on the ground, then in the hospital. From someone who believes in their use on the right bike, please don't try this.

Spencer

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast