A car tire on the ST1300???

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
no waste...just fun banter...I ride pretty good right? LOL..I think I can keep up with a cruiser...(I've got my beer muscles on!!!):p:
Yes, you do. Even on Florida roads. I hope to swap lies with you guys at CampStoc.

Bike
07 ST1300A
Just ask Blfrl if you'll have to wait for me. To put your mind to ease, 99% of my miles are commuting, which isnt really hard on tires. But when time permits, I've been know to drag a peg or two. Maybe we can have some fun when you're in the area.

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
I guarantee you would be hard pressed to keep up with me when I had my VTX 1800C with a GY Triple Tread 205-60-16.
:crackup :crackup :crackup

One of my Buds lent me his Valk when I visited him in FL so I could get a winter ride in. I pulled out of a stop sign, leaned my shoulders inside and rolled on some throttle for a nice easy going pull out as I always do on strange equipment, and I plowed a deep blacktop furrow with hard parts round the 5mph turn. Shocked the crap out of me how pitiful the maximum lean angle was. If I had put my then ST deep on the hero nuts in that turn I'll guarantee you the bike would be going CONSIDERABLY faster than the valk ever thought it could regardless of tire. So me on an ST will easily kick my own a** on a cruiser, it's just simple physics. If you can get more lean angle out of a bike, you are going to get more speed per radius so long as the tires don't let loose.

Todd knows where the hero nuts are on the ST, so I would say it best to share the beer and just avoid going forth with such a doomed challenge as riding a cruiser against him in the twisties.

A taller car tire mounted on cruiser, might give you some more height/clearance for additional lean angle over a bike tire, and cruisers may lean so very little to start with they don't need a good contact patch on the side at all, but you're not going to match the ST lean (and so turn speed) any day soon with a Valk or it's ilk.

The statement did lighten my evening though :)

Bike
07 ST1300A
Carl, glad I was able to make your evening. :D I wasnt making a challange, or didnt intend to. He used those words not me. My only point in all of this was, dont knock it until you've tried it. Running a CT isnt for everyone, and it isnt intended as a canyon carver alternative, and I agree it isnt appropriate on an ST, for the reasons Spencer pointed out so well. But given the right bike and right conditions, it's a good alternative. FWIW I also know where the hero nuts are on my ST, and know where they were on my VTX - what was left of them.

Y'all have a good evening, I gotta get up early and take my son to his college open house. Glad I was able to provide some entertainment, cheers :beer3:

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Yup thats a V rated Dunlop Sport 3000A 195/55R 16 run flat on my GL so flame on :flame
Spencer, not flaming. But I notice that the rain grooves on that tire are diagonal, angled all to the same side of the tire...do you feel the bike tending to slip out to one side a bit more than the other? How about during heavy rain?

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
FWIW I also know where the hero nuts are on my ST, and know where they were on my VTX - what was left of them.
I'm not really surprised, as I spotted your "way to many MX bikes to list" in your sig. I still did enjoy the entertaining imagery of your statement though, it would make a good cartoon big ol' car tire and all :p: I could see Todd?s expression inside his helmet as he closed in now, with one eyebrow arched like crazy Jack Nicholson...
Sorry Todd, it was just a random flashback man.... It's been a long winter. ;)

JZH

International Bodger
An insurance carrier cannot dictate what equipment you use on your bike, as long as it is DOT approved for road use, the correct size weight and speed rating they cannot refuse a claim. This has been tested and proven regarding CT usage.
I'd be curious to know what you consider proof? The idea that you could run a "DOT approved" motorcycle tire on an 18-wheeler and not have an insurance coverage problem seems slightly unlikely...:rolleyes:

Ciao,

STOC #
JZH even in the quote that you so graciously left for us to read HE states "the correct size weight and speed rating"

I dont know about in your land but over here truck tires have weight ratings?

How about a little reading comprehension over there? B4 rolling yer eyes? LOL

JZH

International Bodger
Oh, dear, it appears that I have committed the heinous crime of the poor analogy! Please forgive me! :bow1:

You know what I mean, he knows what I mean, and the insurance companies' lawyers know what I mean. :rolleyes: ( :D )

Ciao,

STOC #
Oh, dear, it appears that I have committed the heinous crime of the poor analogy! Please forgive me! :bow1:

You know what I mean, he knows what I mean, and the insurance companies' lawyers know what I mean. :rolleyes: ( :D )

Ciao,

Proof is that the precedent has been set in federal court. Insurance companies have tried to refuse claims and lost every time. We have laws in this country that prevent manufacturers from dictating that we must use certain product for maintenance or repair. It covers everything from the type of oil you use to maintenance items, including tires. This also covers what is legal for an insurance company to base refusal of a claim. We are legally permitted to have the freedom to modify our vehicles within the rules and regulations set by the DOT. If you could find a motorcycle tire that would fit the rim (rim size determined by the manufacturer), be the right size, speed, and load rating, feel free to install it on your 18 wheeler.

Spencer

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
As much as I hesitate to jump into this thread...

We have laws in this country that prevent manufacturers from dictating that we must use certain product for maintenance or repair. ... This also covers what is legal for an insurance company to base refusal of a claim.
The law in question is the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 (15USC2302), and the only thing it covers is manufacturers' warranty coverage. If you had a rear wheel failure that could be proven to be a result of using a tire that didn't meet spec, the manufacturer would be well within its rights to deny the claim.

Insurance policies are contractual agreements between the insurer and the insured. If the insurer isn't going to cover damage incurred on the third Tuesday of the month, they're legally obliged to to disclose that by putting an exclusion in the policy. Many policies have exclusions for damage caused as a result of improper (see below) equipment.

We are legally permitted to have the freedom to modify our vehicles within the rules and regulations set by the DOT.
The sticky point is whether or not DOT approval of a tire for passenger car or light truck service (which is what the "P" or "LT" in the size designator implies) qualifies it for service in an application that calls for a motorcycle ("M/C") tire. I wasn't able to find anything on NHTSA's web site that says for sure, but my guess would be that it doesn't. The compliance test for motorcycle tires is more stringent than it is for car tires: 100% of rated load vs. 85% and, IIRC, the tire has to be run longer at a higher speed.

Before anybody jumps on my case, I'm not saying that a car tire can't be safely used on the back of a motorcycle. The question is whether or not doing so runs afoul of DOT's regulations and, by extension, state laws requiring DOT-approved equipment.

--Mark

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
IMO, you could absolutely run car tires on both front and rear wheels of an ST1300 or ST1100......

... Provided you first equipped said bike with a sidecar. :D :D :D

JZH

International Bodger
Black Magic said:
Meybe crime is trying to making clever point without having one.
Oh, look: my good friend/stalker Pablo offering his support! :capwin:

Spencer said:
Proof is that the precedent has been set in federal court. Insurance companies have tried to refuse claims and lost every time.
Precedent? Are you sure--in a District Court? Which District? Was a decision published? The reason I ask is that people frequently refer to court decisions improperly, and when the legal claim being made goes against what I would expect to see based on my experience, alarm bells go off.

It would be very interesting to read what a court had actually said about this matter.

(Btw, I am not English.)

Ciao,

Not trying to stem any fruitful discussion here, but given the measurements of the 205 CT in an earlier reply, the first questions would have to be 1) would said tire fit on the ST1300 rim, and 2) would said tire clear the swingarm? I.e., will it roll off the rim in use and it will it continue to rotate unimpeded by the swingarm even when warm?

Whether you personally would run one or not is moot unless we know if it would even fit. Anyone know? (If I knew it would work, it would be tempting to try it out.)

Thanks!
Mickey Stilson
Wichita

alfred

stoc #689
STOC #
Just to add to the mix of opinions... a good friend bought a goldwing a few years back, and went on a tour of the finger lakes. After a nervous day of cornering without the expected control, he dropped into a Honda dealer to check things out. Yup, there was a car tire on the back. After a tire change, the bike leaned into the corners with much better balance/control. So, either it was the wrong kind of car tire, or car tires react differently/poorly in a lean. Also, I was under the notion that we have a front and back tire spec that are matched for best performance.... changing the back tire must affect this, no?

Top Bottom