A car tire on the ST1300???

Gonzo

3/4 Century of Trivia
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I'm following this, too from the perspective of big tire mileage.

Of course, if one had a sidecar attached, the issue of the flex during turns goes away. I know this sort of invalidates the original intent of the question, but it should be viable. Just my problem of being fascinated by the sidecars.

I would say to do some searches on the following Board. I read where one guy gave a report on it and stated that the Wing with car tires kept wanting to go to the upright position in a curve, something I wouldn't want my tire to do when I'm in the middle of a lean! :hurt1:

Bike
ST 1300
I should mention that I rode my buddies Wing a little way back from CampSToc, and he's running a car tire on back. While I did sense a bit of it wanting to stand upright, it didn't seam all that bad. However, I believe others are correct concerning the lean angles on a Wing and an ST being very different. With that being said, I may go back to an 880 on the rear. It seemed to provide good handling and excellent tread life.

Bike
07 ST1300A
I should mention that I rode my buddies Wing a little way back from CampSToc, and he's running a car tire on back. While I did sense a bit of it wanting to stand upright, it didn't seam all that bad. However, I believe others are correct concerning the lean angles on a Wing and an ST being very different. With that being said, I may go back to an 880 on the rear. It seemed to provide good handling and excellent tread life.
You're right on both parts. It does have a slight feeling of wanting to stand upright, but i's nothing a little counter-steering wont overcome. It isnt any different than riding a phat tire bike, which BTW comes standard from the factory with several cruisers now days. Most folks that are running a CT spend more time on the slab than burning up twisties (I do know a few exceptions), so this really is not an issue, and no it wont make you :hurt1:

As Spencer pointed out earlier in this thread, the lean angle on the ST is much more than the Wing or Valk or cruisers. This is the prime reason why I (a former Darksider) wouldnt do it. :shrug1:

mjblair

TooTall
JD,

It not the size but the lean angle that would be the problem. The GL and Valk's max lean angle go right to the usable tread surface of the CT. The ST would exceed that and you would be on the sidewall, then on the ground, then in the hospital. From someone who believes in their use on the right bike, please don't try this.

Spencer
As long as you don't lean the st past that point, it should be fine.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
The only time I would consider it is if I was on a trip and had to be home. Say you get a flat sunday morning, no shops open and no where to get a new tire. I would try a car tire then if I was just going to slab it home and trade out the tire. You can get a car tire at walmart in the case you needed one for the emergency.

Bike
ST 1300
I just put two Pilot Road 2's on. They still have that fresh tire smell. :D If I don't get at least 8,000 from this rear tire, I'm going back to the ME 880 rear and Z6 front combo, as that has provided the best mileage and best handling in dry. Neither tire really inspires confidence in wet weather though.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
I just put two Pilot Road 2's on. They still have that fresh tire smell. :D If I don't get at least 8,000 from this rear tire, I'm going back to the ME 880 rear and Z6 front combo, as that has provided the best mileage and best handling in dry. Neither tire really inspires confidence in wet weather though.
I don't care what the mileage I get as long as the ties provides good handling in both wet and dry conditions. Its not worth risking life and limb to get an extra 1000 miles.

BlaSTr

Miami ST
STOC #
Every thing I read tells me that car tires on bikes are not a good idea. The tire shape, sidewall consruction, and safety features don't seem to cross over, imo. The twistys are where the tire contact on a CT is decreasing and on the bike tire increasing. In the twistys you want maximum road contact and handling performance.

I'd no more consider a tractor tire on my dirt bile than I'd consider anything other than a bike tire on a bike. For me it's not about added mileage or cost - it's about safety. ymmv

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
I followed a the Wing at campstoc that bygdawg rode some on the way home and at scraping leanangles the ct still had the full cross section of the tire on the pavement !! it was quite impressive to watch the wing in skilled hands !!

Bike
ST 1300
Yeah...I rode Eddie's on the way in. I could tell it was there but not much. As someone said earlier though, I think the extreme lean angle that the ST is capable of might cause issues that might not occur with the Wing. The Wing certainly starts dragging hard parts before reaching a problem area.

Top Bottom