sigh

Bacon

Alex
Bike
ST1300 A4
Sigh and it's a very big one.

Yesterday I washed the bike for the first time this year after I fitted a new front tyre. I put the bike away quickly while I was washing it as a sudden hail storm hit us. Well today I was watching the Moto GP with my son and of course had a couple or more of the wee whisky nips that we do when we get involved with these races. Well I thought it would be a great idea to take the bike out and polish it after yesterdays wash. BAd idea.

I couped it over to the right on the way out of the garage . I tried all the things I have seen on this forum about lifting the bike. I couldn't even make the thing move a half inch and I'm no small guy.

Anyway. I rang my neighbours door bell and said, "Mike I need you, I've couped my bike" He laughed and came over. He couldn't move the bike an inch which was the problem I had. Well between us we lifted it. He thought it must have been stuck funny but I guess I'm just old. Sigh. I remember when nothing was too heavy. What happened to me.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The key to lifting the ST, and the Wing, is not to try and 'Lift' it but to push it.

When you are in position - handlebar turned all the way to the right, left hand on it, butt against side of seat, right have on passenger grab rail... then just push back... it will come right up... if you think 'lift' then you'll try to lift which is tough for a heavy bike... don't think an upward motion.. think a horizontal one...

tlartist

Tom Laux
Bike
ST1300
In answer to your rhetorical question: "He thought it must have been stuck funny but I guess I'm just old. Sigh. I remember when nothing was too heavy. What happened to me."

Now....I am just guessing, mind you, but it might be this:

"....had a couple or more of the wee whisky nips..."

Thank you for sharing. ;-)

OP
OP
Bacon

Bacon

Alex
Bike
ST1300 A4
In answer to your rhetorical question: "He thought it must have been stuck funny but I guess I'm just old. Sigh. I remember when nothing was too heavy. What happened to me."

Now....I am just guessing, mind you, but it might be this:

"....had a couple or more of the wee whisky nips..."

Thank you for sharing. ;-)
Now you sound like Nancy my wife. Ouch

OP
OP
Bacon

Bacon

Alex
Bike
ST1300 A4
The key to lifting the ST, and the Wing, is not to try and 'Lift' it but to push it.

When you are in position - handlebar turned all the way to the right, left hand on it, butt against side of seat, right have on passenger grab rail... then just push back... it will come right up... if you think 'lift' then you'll try to lift which is tough for a heavy bike... don't think an upward motion.. think a horizontal one...
Jo, you know what, I sat back and thought about everything I had read on here and more. As much as I pushed and shoved, I just couldn't move that big bamstard a fraction of an inch. I didn't knock on next doors easily but Mike has helped me out of several situations. Can't fault the man really.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Jo, you know what, I sat back and thought about everything I had read on here and more. As much as I pushed and shoved, I just couldn't move that big bamstard a fraction of an inch. I didn't knock on next doors easily but Mike has helped me out of several situations. Can't fault the man really.
I'll bet if there were witnesses you would have all of a sudden come up with the strength.. LOL

dannyk

SISU an inner spirit
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Guys, did you notice the only two that had the real answer were in their 40's, us old guys been around the block to many times with a little whiskey in the mix to accomplish anything constructive :D :biker:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Guys, did you notice the only two that had the real answer were in their 40's, us old guys been around the block to many times with a little whiskey in the mix to accomplish anything constructive :D :biker:
Yes.. but, I'm on a Wing... just like the TV adds 20 lbs.. the Wing adds 20 years.:nanner1:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Who's Jack... what year ST does he ride?

dannyk

SISU an inner spirit
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
He comes from Kentucky, has to be at least 2 years old, I think he goes by #57 but not sure, another possibility would be Dr. kessler. I can bring some of the real stuff, if you bring some of the wash to camp stoc.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'm buzzing after 1/2 a beer.. can't imagine what a sip of whiskey would do.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I picked mine up _twice_ yesterday, in the mud! Pics to follow. :D

I used the "no whiskey assist" method.

OP
OP
Bacon

Bacon

Alex
Bike
ST1300 A4
Well I thank you all for your advice but I'll be more careful in future.(resident attack wife won't let me) No real harm done other than a few scuffs on the tip over wing and my red face LOL. I reversed it out of the garage again yesterday without incident and finally went out and ran that new tyre in a wee bit.

Fred, I shall treasure that TOA (what's a TOA?) I know it's an award given to members who admit to couping the bike I think in memory of you stopping to pick up two shiny lighters in the road and thus leading the way but missed what TOA is?

Now I have it. TOA=Tip Over Award

Last edited:
If it came down to a choice between giving up my bikes or giving up single malt, I'd have to think it over.....

Top Bottom