Article [13] ST1300 - Spoiler fitting

Hope the following is of use to people. I think this could be a supplement to the instructions for fitting a Honda Top Box.

What follows is an account of the fitting of the spoiler and brake light to my bike. I'm not a Honda mechanic, just a complete amateur. You would probably get better advice from a real Honda mechanic. If you blow up your bike, don't come crying to me!

Please note that I don't have this bike anymore, so the advice I can offer is limited.

A word document of this is available upon request, but I don't have a means of converting this into a PDF file. If anyone wishes to oblige, feel free.

Installation of the Honda rear spoiler with red lens

This article is in two parts. The first part covers fitting the spoiler to the Honda top box. The second part covers fitting the wiring harness to the bike to allow the use of the additional brake light.

This article is intended for ST1300 models fitted with the Honda top box.
First of all a warning. In order to fit the spoiler, you have to drill six holes in your top box. Please remember the old adage of ?measure twice, cut once? as drilling in the wrong place will leave a gaping hole in your top box. Please refer to the supplied instructions at all times, and if in doubt, contact your local dealer.

For the purpose of this article, left and right assume that the top box is fitted to the bike and you are facing forwards.

1. On the inside of the top box, locate the five dimples in the plastic which correspond with the centre of the spoiler mounting holes. Three of these are shown in pic 1. If you are not sure that you have the correct dimple, check the locations against the bolt holes on the spoiler.

2. Now you need to drill the holes. When drilling, make sure that the top box is places on a secure, but soft surface so you don?t scratch the paint. According to the instructions, the holes should be 9.5mm. You may wish to pilot the holes with a smaller drill bit first. Make sure you drill a clean hole, and smooth off any waste plastic afterwards.

3. If you are planning on wiring in the brake light, you need to drill a hole to pass the wires from the spoiler through into the top box. This hole sits 65mm to the left of the middle hole.

4. Make sure your top box is clean and dust free before fitting the spoiler. The instructions advise cleaning with isopropyl alcohol. I used furniture polish, for the pleasant lavender smell...

5. Now peel the adhesive backing from the spoiler and attach the spoiler, ensuring the wires for the brake light are passed through the correct hole. Insert the five sets of rubber washers, collars and 6mm bolts as per pic 2. Seal the hole that the wires go through with a flexible sealant or use a grommet to keep the box watertight.

If you are not planning on wiring in the brake light, there?s no need to read any further. Otherwise, read on.

The spoiler harness is purchased separate to the spoiler itself. It contains the bits you need to attach the spoiler brake light to the brakes on your bike. Conveniently, the colours of the wires on the spoiler harness match those on the bike.

1. Remove the rear mud guard. This is held on by four screws.

2. Now you need to remove one of the brake bulbs. I found that removing both the bulbs gave me more slack cable to work with. If this is the first time the bulbs have been removed, the holders will be stiff. As you are looking from the rear of the bulb, turn the holder counterclockwise about ? turn and carefully pull out. You will be left with something resembling pic 3.

3. You now need to cut the green/yellow and green wires from one of the bulbs. You are going to be fitting a plug and socket onto these wires, so give yourself some room to work ? you need to be able to get a crimping tool onto the wires.

4. You are supplied with a plug and a socket body that corresponds with the plug and socket on the end of the Y shaped spoiler harness. Taking care to observe the polarity of the wires, pins and plugs, crimp the pins onto the ends of the wires you cut in step 4.

5. Remove the seat and feed the spoiler harness down from the under-seat area, behind the left side of the tail light assembly. This is a bit of a fiddle, but there is plenty of room for the cable to pass. Plug in the accessory harness as shown in pic 4, replace the bulbs and re-install the rear mudguard. Before closing everything up, make sure that your brake lights still function. (Whether or not your bulbs function today, you can be guaranteed that one of them will still decide to blow tomorrow!)

6. Repeat after me... ?Measure twice, cut once. Measure twice, cut once...? In order to pass the cables into the top box, you have to drill a 16mm hole. (See pic 5) This should be placed 95mm from the top of the bottom part of the box (white arrow) , and 65mm left of the centre line. (Red arrow) Pilot the hole from the inside with a small (2-3mm) drill bit, then drill from the outside in using a 16mm hole saw or spade bit. Be sure to remove the rough edges from the hole.

7. The spoiler harness has a plug halfway down so you can remove the top box. Separate the harness at this point and pass the cable through the 16mm hole before filling the hole with the grommet that is stuck to the cable. Make sure the grommet fits evenly and is not pinched. Attach the bullet connectors on the end of the harness to the connectors of the stop light.

8. Using a 3mm drill bit, make holes to screw the cable clamps into. These should be drilled no more than 7mm deep, and should be located 55mm to the left of the centre line. Make sure that the cable will not be stretched when the box is opened. If you are not confident in your drilling abilities, the wires can be taped in place using electricians tape.

9. Fit the top box to the bike. Connect the two ends of the spoiler harness and pass them through the gap between the pillion seat and the passenger grab rail. Now test to make sure the spoiler light and the original brake lights still work. See pic 6

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
Re: Spoiler fitting for ST1300

You know... could have used this oh.... 3 or so years ago... LOL!!! I waited over 6 months before I got the nerve to drill holes in my Hondaline T$p B$x :rolleyes:

Bike
2005 ST

Thank You Thank You,

Your post was a GREAT HELP. After waiting 7 weeks and 957 dollars later to get my 06 Box and spoiler just to find out, "lets drill some holes in the top box" :eek:. I can say it went well and looks great on Black ST.:
bow1:

OP
OP
Spotthegerbil

Glad to be of service. I've often wondered how many times a real Honda mechanic has attempted to fit one of these, only to drill all the way through the customer's top box. Now that would be an expensive oooops. :eek::

joweb94

Bob Webster
Bike
MG California 1400

I also would like to thank you. Your post greatly assisted me in installing my top box and spoiler.

Zip Silver

ZipSilver
Bike
2007 ST 1300
STOC #
Re: ST1300 Spoiler fitting

Thanks Pal I took a look at this and it will help. Nice Pics. They say a 1000 Words and were well done. Thanks again!

Zip Silver

ZipSilver
Bike
2007 ST 1300
STOC #

I have got the Stebel on and Blasting! I used the lower mirror bracket. I too drilled the hole to 5/16" I thought why not use a smaller bolt, then I thought why drive to the hardware store when I can drill the hole in 30 seconds. Piece of cake. I modified the EB harness. I am a good ways through building the Spoiler running/brake harness. I am just leaving to go buy some T-tap connectors. I am going to connect to the left bulb of the tail light harness. Like an idiot I cut the wire initially thinking I was going to solder everything in place vs harness. Dumb! Now I have created a new failure point if my solder fails or corrodes. I only cut the running wire and not the brake at least. I am off to get some T-taps. I am pretty proud of the Stebel install. I tidied it up, and eliminated a pile of wire. I'll post a pic once everything is done. That's interesting about the screw bumps from the spoiler harness Stingray mentions... No bumps yet but maybe after she is leaned on a bit. Thanks for the foresight.

sik111

Rain Rider
Bike
2007 ST1300

6. Repeat after me... ?Measure twice, cut once. Measure twice, cut once...? In order to pass the cables into the top box, you have to drill a 16mm hole. (See pic 5) This should be placed 95mm from the top of the bottom part of the box (white arrow) , and 65mm left of the centre line. (Red arrow) Pilot the hole from the inside with a small (2-3mm) drill bit, then drill from the outside in using a 16mm hole saw or spade bit. Be sure to remove the rough edges from the hole.
I just got this setup and have installed the topbox already.
I have the spoiler and am getting ready to install it.
I am interested in the above quoted step.
Can someone provide some pics of what this looks like from the other side.
Meaning from the outside of the box looking at the back and seat.

I am just trying to find out if the wire harness sticks out like a ugly zit or if it is hidden by the back seat.
Maybe I am looking at this all wrong. I dunno.

OP
OP
Spotthegerbil

I just got this setup and have installed the topbox already.
I have the spoiler and am getting ready to install it.
I am interested in the above quoted step.
Can someone provide some pics of what this looks like from the other side.
Meaning from the outside of the box looking at the back and seat.

I am just trying to find out if the wire harness sticks out like a ugly zit or if it is hidden by the back seat.
Maybe I am looking at this all wrong. I dunno.
I'd love to help, but I no longer have access to the ST due to my recent crash. The grey (might be black) grommet sticks out about an inch above the rear seat, with the cable passing under the seat at this point. I never really noticed it, and if your gromet is grey, a permanent marker pen will darken it easily.

Some top boxes with brake lights (Givi?) have a couple of contacts on the mounting plate so the brake light will work, and still be removeable, without the cables being visible.

Bike
White ST1100AV
STOC #

If nobody's stepped up to the plate, I can convert the .doc to a .pdf easily enough. Just PM me the .doc and I'll post the pdf here...

Cheers & God bless
Sam "SammyTheSnake" Penny

sik111

Rain Rider
Bike
2007 ST1300

Actually, those pics are more or less what I was looking for.
Thank you for the fast reply.

Going out to the garage to drill some holes for the spoiler now...

useful thread for sure.

As much as it is an option, I would HIGHLY recommend putting in the brake light if you are going to the trouble of putting on a top box. For a few extra bucks and minutes, I think its well worth it (for visability from behind).

And hide that damn wire as best you can, you'll get tired looking at it after a few years if it sticks out at all!

Nice project...

sik111

Rain Rider
Bike
2007 ST1300

I actually have a friend that also rides an ST1300, and he has a GIVI topbox.
They use the contact pad for the lights. I like the fact that it is not hard wired to the bike and can be removed very easily from the bike.

I am going to wire something like that, or make a plug type mod that will still allow me to remove the top box very quickly.

I am not in a super hurry, but when I get something worked out, I will post how I managed it. :p

OP
OP
Spotthegerbil

I actually have a friend that also rides an ST1300, and he has a GIVI topbox.
They use the contact pad for the lights. I like the fact that it is not hard wired to the bike and can be removed very easily from the bike.
:p
A colleague of mine has a Givi, and I watched her brake light flicker as she went over a bumpy road. Next day I suggested she checked the contacts or used some switch cleaner. Neat idea though.

I am going to wire something like that, or make a plug type mod that will still allow me to remove the top box very quickly.
:p
If the wire harness was the same as I used, there is a plug that should be hidden under the seat that allows you to split the harness in the middle. Downside is that you need to remove the seat. It is still easy to remove the top box in less than a minute. If you don't have a plug in the midle, then one of the Hitachi style two pin plugs that has been mentioned in other places on this forum might help.

OP
OP
Spotthegerbil

If nobody's stepped up to the plate, I can convert the .doc to a .pdf easily enough. Just PM me the .doc and I'll post the pdf here...

Cheers & God bless
Sam "SammyTheSnake" Penny
Sorry I missed your post. Looking back at my original word doc it looks like I was too lazy at the time to slot in the images! After this much time it's probably safe enough remaining as a forum post instead of a PDF. Cheers for the offer though.

When you get round to getting an ST, get a fast red one, as the brake light spoilers are only ?95 from David Silver, instead of ?175 for the slower silver model! :D

Bike
06 ST-1300

Wow, these are great instructions. I'm guessing you are either a computer programmer or you write instruction manuals for a living. :)

Thanks for the great info! :bow1:

OP
OP
Spotthegerbil

Wow, these are great instructions. I'm guessing you are either a computer programmer or you write instruction manuals for a living. :)

Thanks for the great info! :bow1:
Glad to be of service.

My job involves colouring in maps for a living. They even gave me my own pack of colouring pencils! :bow1:

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #

Pencils... you're so lucky. They only trust me with crayons. :(

Bike
07 ST1300
STOC #

Thanks....this was just what I was looking for...before I start drilling all kinds of holes in the box....

The Honda instuctions from DSS are just a photocopy of a photocpy of a photocopy....you can't makr any detail out....

I think you just saved the day....brian

Top Bottom