Article [13] ST1300 - Spoiler fitting

Bike
07 ST1300
STOC #
Re: ST1300 Spoiler fitting

One comment I will make on item #3....

"3. If you are planning on wiring in the brake light, you need to drill a hole to pass the wires from the spoiler through into the top box. This hole sits 65mm to the left of the middle hole..."

I would offset the wire hole a little (maybe 5mm) towards the rear of the box....otherwise you will not be able to grommet the hole...and have to use sealant....

brian

Bike
2009 ST1300

Chaps - Just got a second hand spoiler for my ST.
In the instructions Point 5 -it mentions rubber washers & collars. The spoiler I have has come with the bolts but no rubber washers or collars just metal washers. Can anyone be so kind as to take a piccy or describe these collars?
Thanks in advance

OP
OP
Spotthegerbil

If I recall correctly, the collar fitted into the hole that you drill in the top box to stop the hole spreading. If you don't use the collars, those holes are going to be too big.

Hopefully someone can draw out one of their screws and give us a measurement or two.

Bike
2009 ST1300

Managed to track them down - the info from Dobles in case anyone needs them in the future

Yes we can order the Collars which are Washer FR Cover, 5 off, as Honda call them. They are ?1.35 inc vat each and Honda have them in stock, in the UK. That means we can get them in 1 working day and Honda deliver to us Tuesday to Saturday.

Deleted member 1854

Spoiler fitting: More info and a correction

Great instructions. Did the job today again (this was the second time, as I did it 6 years ago with my previous ST1300 but has to do my own wiring with diodes back then).

I have one correction to make and a few more photos that may help others:

Part 1 / Step 3: The hole to be drilled to allow the wiring to come through into the topbox from the spoiler itself needs to only be about 40mm to the left of the centre screw (not 65mm) - see attached photos #6 & 7.

The reference in part 2 at step 6 (red arrow) to 65mm is correct.

The instructions that came with the parts were hopeless (as mentioned by others). There were also 2 spare silver screws and washers (pic # 3 - leftovers unknown!). I've also included 2 pics of the grommets and screws because someone asked what they were like.

Thanks again to Spotthegerbil for the original article.

Attachments

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
3. If you are planning on wiring in the brake light, you need to drill a hole to pass the wires from the spoiler through into the top box. This hole sits 65mm to the left of the middle hole
It's 40 mm on the one I just installed. Measure twice drill one time.

Bike
Honda ST1300-09
After 3,5 of years of thinking....I bought a spoiler and I'm trying to get the courage and strength to drill a couple of holes on my top case!!!!!!! It's a very very useful thread for sure and the spoiler looks great.... but do you recommend it.....help me...I don't feel good to drill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your opinion is very helpfull and important to me!!!!!

Bike
Honda ST1300-09
I'm pretty certain that there are slight indentations in the inside of the Honda top box to indicate where to drill. There are about 5 holes IIRC. Check it out. They line up perfectly. There are also indentations where the able clips should go.
You are very helpfull!!!!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I like the Honda topbox but for me the whole reason to get one is that LED spoiler! It looks great!

Bike
2003 ST1300A
after many years of trying to find a spoiler for my topbox, I now have one in my possesion.
thank you everyone for the posts, next week I drill!

cheers
Dale

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
After many days of look for a spoiler for my o5 I've so far drawn a blank, if I ever succeed it's good to know these instructions are available :)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
after many years of trying to find a spoiler for my topbox, I now have one in my possesion.
thank you everyone for the posts, next week I drill!
Congratulations! Now you should try your luck with the pot o' gold unicorns and lottery tickets! What color is your bike and does the spoiler match or did you repaint? And of course – pics please!

Now if I had that kind of luck (and money!) I'd connect a flasher to the LED.

I like this because it probably (not guaranteed!) won't get an illumination award and probably wouldn't annoy people as much as my continuously flashing strobe.

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
Has any one considered attaching the spoiler light to the running lights instead of the brake lights, I already have a abundance of brake light then I guess you can never have enough brake light!

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Mine works as a tail light and as a brake light.

A bit of diode and resistor wizardry does the trick.

I have an article somewhere - I thought I had posted it, but I can't find it on here now. I'll post it again if it is of use.

Last edited:

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
Mine works as a tail light and as a brake light.

A bit of diode and resistor wizardry does the trick.

I have an article somewhere - I thought I had posted it, but I can't find it on here now. I'll post it again if it is of use.
That would be great John, best of both worlds thanks!

Top Bottom