Article [13] ST1300 - Mounting 2008 side panels

STOC #
Re: Mounting 2008 side panels

I just finished mounting the 08 sidecovers on my 07 this evening. I would like to thank Dave "Highrider" for his nice instructions on mounting the sidecovers. Because he spent the time to "invent" the mounting and was gracious to document, I saved a bunch of my own time and hey, it was FREE. Once again, Kudos to Joe for hosting a website where we can share these ideas and save others all sorts of headaches. Good show to both of you!!!

:bow1: :headbang: :yr1: :woo :wave1: :hat1: :bannana :clap2: :yes: :hotpepper

fredz43

Fred Z
STOC #

I have had an 03, 05, and now an 08 ST1300 and if there is a difference in the FI system, it is so subtle that I can't tell the difference. Interesting that Honda evidently made some changes and yet didn't expand on that in their advertising or press releases on the new model. Perhaps they didn't want to admit that there was a problem with the original FI?

Bike
2006 ST1300

I have had an 03, 05, and now an 08 ST1300 and if there is a difference in the FI system, it is so subtle that I can't tell the difference. Interesting that Honda evidently made some changes and yet didn't expand on that in their advertising or press releases on the new model. Perhaps they didn't want to admit that there was a problem with the original FI?
So how's the heat on the 08 compared to earlier years?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

If I closed my eyes, I wouldn't be able to tell if I was on an '03 or and '08.

I haven't noticed any difference in how the bike runs, how hot it is or anything. Of course, I was on the wing for 3 years so my memory of the '03 has faded somewhat.

fredz43

Fred Z
STOC #

I got it in Feb and took one trip to Texas in April. It was warm there, but not hot. Other than the TX trip, I haven't ridden it in very warm weather, so I can's say much about the heat as yet. Back here in IL, it is now pretty warm, but I just got a 08 KLR650 and I have been riding it. I'll have to get on the ST now that it is warm and put some decent miles on it and see how it does.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #

Would JB Weld, or a similar product work, to attach the brackets?

STOC #

Would JB Weld, or a similar product work, to attach the brackets?
I wouldn't. It might work but my experience is that anytime you JB weld two smooth surfaces, the bond will quickly fail. Plus tapping a hole is much cleaner looking. If you have gone to the trouble of fabricating the small brackets, tapping one hole in aluminum and drilling another hole in plastic is trivial.

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #

Dave and for those that have done this.....

I haven't looked at this...but how did you get the drill bit inside the frame to drill the left hand hole to tap.

Forest

Onicabbit

Tailess Cabbit!
Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour
STOC #

o_Oa I'm guessing glue gun is out of the question...

STOC #

Forest,

I didn't have any issues getting almost a perfect right angle for the hole. The drill will touch the frame but no problem for me.

Onicabbit (whatever that is :) ), I would not use glue, bailing wire, duct tape, hot waxes, epoxys, double stick foam, etc etc. If you can drill a hole, you can tap a hole, and making little brackets is simply a matter of robbing your junk bin. I think it would be too frustrating to be trying to figure out a way to make the "easy way" work good enough here anyway.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #

Adam, if you thought of the same thing I did, be afraid...be very very afraid! :22yikes:
I'm scared.....................:D Actually, I'm not sure what velcro I used. Gotta check. I'll get back to you as to whether the fear is justified. :D

Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #

Trust me to first go and buy the covers, spend a lot of time and effort, look at the fishes on the net as to how the originals mount, take photos of a new bike standing on the dealers floor to see where the mounting brakets were (and were not in my case) and to take the long way round, by dissassembling the foot peg mounting arm and drilling and tapping and making up brackets etc, when i could have just read this article first.....:rolleyes::eek::

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #

I did mine but detoured a little.
On the right side, it took a lot of reading and re-reading and after I finally understood how he mounted it, I made this.

Then, I made a bracket for the left side and Also glued some ABS to the rubber flap for the front left side. You can reach down inside the left side cover and push the front section into the rubber flap, then push the rear one in and it's done.

30 minutes? Nope, several hours but it's done and road tested.

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
st1300
Re: ST1300-Mounting 2008 side panels

I have fitted these to my 06 pan using small self taping screws ..been on my bike for about 3 years ..did think about making small aluminum brackets but it was to fiddly ..so i decided to use small screws ..so when you remove the side panels they come too EASY

Bike
06 ST1300
To All,

Thanks for all the great information on this transformation. I just completed it on my 2006 and I have to say, it makes the bike look much beter.

Thanks for all the notes and comments.

Bike
ST1300
First genuine Honda parts I encounter that aren't insanely expensive! And certainly a very nice addition to any pre-2008 ST1300. Just ordered a set for my 2007!

Top Bottom