Show me your Top Box!

clicker666

2005 ST1300
Bike
2005 ST1300
Arrived Friday and got it mounted last night (had to go to the Reno Air Races over the weekend darn it). Installation was pretty straight forward. Mount is more than beefy (and kind of heavy - 2 pounds of steel). Too bad they did not fabricate it in aluminum instead. Anyways - very sturdy setup. Still waiting for the gloss black cover and 3rd brake light to arrive from Shad. Removing the box is a breeze & very well built in my opinion. I think I may look into having the lock cylinder re-keyed to the bike key. Anybody try to do this? I'll report back if I'm successful.
I picked up a SHAD-45. Waiting on the correct ST1300 bracket, backrest and a red insert. I like the box though, it seems to be a good size and well made.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
Received my 3rd brake lamp today - it should look factory after it gets installed. bty: I bought my unit from http://www.cli-maxridinggear.com and recommend them highly. They always responded to all my inquiries in a timely manner and were very helpful. I'll post new pics when I get the light mounted.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
Installed the 3rd LED brake lamp with a BackOFF brake light signal module once I found out how to access the wiring to the rear light (with many thanks to this forum). I just used a couple of T-tap splices into the green/yellow (brake signal) and green (ground) at the bulb sockets to power the module and LED lamp. It all tucked away just fine behind the 1300's tail lamp access area. Although the packaging said that you might need the BackOFF XP because the standard module may not be compatible with LED lights, it works great on my application. The LED brake lamp is way brighter than the 1300's brake lamp and you can't help but notice the flashing aspect of it. I think it will add a little piece of mind on my next ride out.

Attachments

Last edited:

clicker666

2005 ST1300
Bike
2005 ST1300
I received and installed my SHAD 45 case. It was a bit of a pain. You will need to buy an additional adapter to fit onto the ST1300's stock parcel carrier. The bolts were a bit of a pain to connect up the universal bracket for the case to the custom one. I ended up using a hard drive magnet to hold the washer on the underside of the plate and pliers to hold the nut. The space was a little too tight for my fingers (which aren't big) and I ended up losing a nut and washer and having to buy another set from the hardware store. Once I sorted that out I realized I put it on backwards (doh!) and had to unscrew it and flip it around. Once on it seemed very secure. The red colour panel I bought is not a match for the red on the bike, but it's close enough for me. I could probably always get the panel painted.

I'm waiting on the back pad for the unit. I'll post up another pic when it comes in.

Attachments

Last edited:

MattInDenver

Shall Be known as MattInMadison
Bike
2012 ST1300 2006 VFR
For some reason my photo is not attaching. I have the Shad 49 http://www.shadonline.com/category-s/93.htm. Coming from the R1100RT top case to compare. The only gripe I have is that it will not stay open hands free. So, I have to use my head if I want to dig with both hands or one hand in and one out.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I have a 46L Bestem... went through a low side, ugly but still works well, no pic. ;)

slmjim

Hopeless Tool Junkie
Derby City - Home of The Louisville Slugger
Bike
Which one today...?
Standard Hondaline box on our '09 1300A. The brand of the rack is SHAD. I'd never heard of them before we saw their vendor booth at Americade a few years ago. We just use the rack as a convenience, something to carry or shed lightweight stuff like raingear or layers as the day warms or cools without having to get into the hard luggage. Technically the rack is mounted backward, but it's more in keeping with the shape of the lid.

The standoffs are of unknown origin that I've had on the shelf for years in my "spacers" box. The wide rubber washers between the lid and the spacers are wide, conical neoprene faucet washers I found at the hardware store when I was looking for something to use as stress relief. They also serve to waterproof the mounting holes. The neoprene washers along with wide body washers are also used at the mounting points in the inner lid.

I was really leery of drilling holes in the lid. This rack has been in service for four years now, with no stress cracks forming. So far.

The cable seen plugged into the box at it's front, lower-right corner feeds a set of high-mounted brake light LED's mounted on the bottom half at the lid latch, eye level to cagers. The connector is easily unplugged to remove the box. I used a tank bag power connector for the receptacle.

Good Ridin'
slmjim

Attachments

Last edited:

clicker666

2005 ST1300
Bike
2005 ST1300
The one thing I don't like about my top box is that it sits SOOOOOOOO far back. (The Shad box) I picked up the back cushion, and my wife doesn't even touch my back. She's a tiny lady, so I actually had to install Jeep grab handles for her to hold onto, as her hands can't reach the passenger grips while sitting up.

I might have to find a way to fab a bracket that moves the top box forward slightly, so that the back rest actually is over the back of the passenger seat as opposed to four inches behind it.

Bike
2004 ST1300
Bestem T'Box came with the ST from prior owner. It's usually only on the bike when the wife is coming along for a ride for the backrest (more of a "security blanket" than a backrest). I have it set up to remove/install with two bolts and wire connectors for the running/brake lights, so it's about a ten minute job to remove it and the mounting bracket.
Not a great color match, but good enough for its purpose. image.jpg
I guess you have to click on the image to get it full size.

Bike
2005 ST1300A
Need help please. I'm looking to remove my Hondaline top box and cannot figure how it comes off. Saw the posts regarding installation of the pad and states the case 'snaps' on it. Anyone have any info on this?

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
Need help please. I'm looking to remove my Hondaline top box and cannot figure how it comes off. Saw the posts regarding installation of the pad and states the case 'snaps' on it. Anyone have any info on this?
Turn the key enough to open the lid and then pull out and up on the handle that surrounds the lift plate (not sure what this is really called but is where the key goes into), lift up the top box with the handle slightly and then move the box forward about 1/2 inch or so to delatch it before lifting it off of the bike. Sounds more complicated that it really is...

Top Bottom