Article [13] ST1300 - Pulls to the Right

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
Ok. So I did some homework in regards to some of the complaints that the ST is pulling to the right. Unofficially, it looks like it may indeed be a set up issue. If this is the cause, then it means that the problem is dealer related and not Ma Honda's fault. When the ST's arrive at the dealer in the crate, the front wheel is not installed. Looking at the past two years set up manuals for the ST and cross checking with the service manual. Honda made a small change to the set up instructions in regards to the front wheel. Here's the install directions for the 2008 ST1300:

(Note: Axle pinch bolts are finger loose at this point)

1. Tighten the left axle pinch bolts to 22 N-m (2.2 kgf-m, 16 lbf-ft)
Note: Indication of “Left†is if you were sitting on bike
2. Tighten Axle Bolt to 79 N-m (8.1 kgf-m, 58 lbf-ft)
3. Tighten the right axle pinch bolts to 22 N-m (2.2 kgf-m, 16 lbf-ft)
4. Now loosen the left axle pinch bolts
5. Note: During the assembly process, this is where you would be installing the brake calipers.
6. Set the bike down where the bike's weight is on the wheels. Lock the front brake and push the suspension up and down several times.
7. Tighten the left axle pinch bolts to 22 N-m (2.2 kgf-m, 16 lbf-ft)

You'll notice that they have you loosen and retighten the left axle bolts before and after you've tightened the axle. I think this may be where the front end pulling is coming from. With the left axle pinch bolts tightened down, tightening the axle bolt would pull the two forks together……or more precisely, it's pulling the left fork towards the right. Once you've tightened down the right axle pinch bolts, loosening the left axle pinch bolts lets the assembly center itself.

I hope I explained this in a way that makes sense.

So if your ST is pulling to the right, and it's definitely not tire related, give this a try. Loosen everything up and tighten it in this order. Make sure the front tire has no weight on it when you do it, too. Put the bike on the center stand and have someone push down on the bike while you work. If you've had your bike less than 30 days or are approaching the 600 mile service, take it back to the dealer. Tell them it's pulling, (don't say it happens when you take your hands off) and ask them to loosen and recheck the front wheel. Mention that the set-up manual is specific about how the front wheel is torqued and if not done correctly it will pull.

I also looked to see if there was anything with the back wheel that could cause it. The wheel just bolts on with no adjustment possible from what I can tell.

It's interesting to note how the set-up directions for the previous year differed. For the 2007, they indicated that the axle bolt be torqued first, then the right side pinch bolts, the brake calipers would be installed and then the left side would be torqued.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
07 ST1300A
Toto, at any point do you need to lock the front brake and bounce the front end? This is one of the steps in the manual when re-installing the front wheel.

And thanks for taking the time and putting this info, and your previous pearls of widsom, out here for our consumption. It is soooo refreshing to see a dealer/shop that isnt afraid of the Internet, and is willing to use it for everyone's benefit. :bow1: :bow1: :bow1:

Putt

R.I.P. - 2009/05/29
Rest In Peace
STOC #
For what it is worth, on my '04:
OEM Bridgestones - Pulled to the right
on the first set of Z-6/880 combo tracked straight as an arrow
on the second set of z6/880's pulled slightly to the right..
on the third set of OEM Bridgestones, pulled a little to the right,
more than the Metz, but less than the original set of tires...
So, more fuel for the discussion..

Putt...

OP
OP
SoloTotoCoyote
Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
Toto, at any point do you need to lock the front brake and bounce the front end? This is one of the steps in the manual when re-installing the front wheel.

And thanks for taking the time and putting this info, and your previous pearls of widsom, out here for our consumption. It is soooo refreshing to see a dealer/shop that isnt afraid of the Internet, and is willing to use it for everyone's benefit. :bow1: :bow1: :bow1:

My apologies. It does indeed say to lock the wheel and push up and down on the front end. I'll correct the above text. (Sorry, writing this at work in between customers.):D

That's really good info to have.

Will Honda notify the dealers of the revised installation procedure or is there a PDF of the revised setup manual available for download ?

Thanks for your efforts. They will probably save some folks allot of aggravation and heartache (both the dealers and customers)

OP
OP
SoloTotoCoyote
Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
Will Honda notify the dealers of the revised installation procedure or is there a PDF of the revised setup manual available for download ?
Honda automatically sends new set-up manuals every year for all the models. I only found the difference between the two because I looked, which is what the PDI staff of every dealer should be doing. Upon finding this out, I immediately walked back to our PDI manager and let him know of the change. This is important to us because we sell both civilian and law enforcment ST's. And even if for some reason, one of the set-up manuals gets lost, dealers can download it from Honda's IN website.

Sounds good. If I am fortunate enough to be able to buy an 2007 model, I'll be sure to mention to them that there is a revised installation procedure for the 2008 model that they should follow to the letter.

It's great having someone that works in Honda Service on the forum. Not only for new information such as this, but also to see both sides of the coin.

Thanks for your efforts !

patiodadio

Motorcyclist
Bike
ST
My new 06' has about 2K now and has pulled to the right from day one. I will try the set up as per your post and report back . Thanks and I hope this works :)

STOC #
I have an 06' model. It pulls alittle to the right. If I am reading my 2003-2006 manual correctly the difference is that they don't tighten the left axle pinch bolts first. If this is correct then all I would need to do is loosen the left pinch bolts, move the front shock up and down and then retighten the left pinch bolts and it may improve. Is this correct?

Last edited:
OP
OP
SoloTotoCoyote
Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
I have an 06' model. It pulls alittle to the right. If I am reading my 2003-2006 manual correctly the difference is that they don't tighten the left axle pinch bolts first. If this is correct then all I would need to do is loosen the left pinch bolts, move the front shock up and down and then retighten the left pinch bolts and it may improve. Is this correct?
I would do the entire process just to be safe.

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
You rock Solo! I'm going to give that a try...not that I make a habit of taking my hands off but anything that makes the bike track true!!

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
My apologies. It does indeed say to lock the wheel and push up and down on the front end. I'll correct the above text. (Sorry, writing this at work in between customers.):D
??? You did. Read #6 step in your first post.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
If the setup was followed at the place I got my ST a couple weeks ago, it didn't matter.. bike still drifts off to the right.

We'll see if others find this procedure helps, hopefully it does and I'll perform it when I replace the front tire - or if others find it does help.

Bike
ST1300A-06
My ST-06 is pulling to the right a bit, nothing to be concerned about because it is a very light "right turn" .

Since i'm a bit curious, i decide to do the new procedure.

Well i did it and still have a few question about it.

First off, in the 2006 setup instruction they say to align the axle shaft with the left fork an then torque the the axle bolt to 58 pounds. Nothing is said about torking the left pinch bolts before torking the axle bolt. At this point when you tork the axle bolt, the shaft will eventualy recess in the left fork and will seat right there and it will be flush with the inside of the fork. You then tork the left pinch bolts after jumping up and down on the bike.

In the new 2008 procedure, the left pinch bolts are torked before torking the axle bolt and loosen when the axle bolt has been torked.

At that moment, when you loosen the left pinch bolts, the shaft immediatly recess into the fork or if you want, the fork extend or open up. Also when the pinch bolts are loosen, you hear the shaft stoping against the fork.

At that point on the left fork, the shaft is flush with the inside of the fork, exactly at the same place as in the old setup instruction.

So the shaft is sitting at the same place... or maybe there is only a few Millimeter difference which is hard to see.

I must be missing something here.... what is the difference..?

I will go and ride it to see any change.

Bike
07 ST1300A
I just redid mine, will report back tomorrow am after the ride into work.
Well, it seems to help. I didnt get many chances to try it at different speed on the ride in this am, but it doesnt seem to pull as hard to the right as it did. The only thing I didnt do last night is completely off-load the front wheel, the bike was on it's center stand. Tonight I'll put it on the lift and try it again, completely off-loading the front wheel.

Thanks again Toto :D

Bike
ST1300A-06
Well, i just came back from a short ride and it seems that it does make a difference but it was windy and i agree, i still have to ride a bit more.

While riding on the right side of the road, there is a very small tendency to go to the right and if i ride on the left side of the road, it will tend to go left.

That is a first to me, that bike never went left.

To be followed....

Top Bottom