Article [13] ST1300 - Pulls to the Right

mjc506

Matt
Bike
ST1300A2, CRF250L
Good idea. My bars turn left on the center stand at standstill though :)

Unhooking the throttle cables reduces the pull significantly, but I don't particularly like that as a 'solution'.

Exactly what I found.

My ST has 700 miles on it, original 020 tires, and pulls right.

I went through the entire set up on the front end, (good I did, I don't think my axle bolt was at 58# ft.) and the pull lessened by maybe 40% but it's still there.

I've even went in the oncoming lane no handed and still pulls right, but slightly less. Don't think the crown of the road plays much in it.

As my ST is right now I have to put my weight on my left cheek, basically looking to the left of the wind shield to go straight no handed.

A big thing on the XX site is installing tapered steering head bearings. (don't know why they still install ball bearings) I could feel a detent in the straight ahead position on my XX. I did the change, and it made a big difference, you could steer no handed with just shifting your head back and forth.

I swear I'm already picking up the slightest detent straight ahead on my ST already. Bearings seem tight, steering doesn't flop over to the stops without a little push.

It's a big job but I'll be doing tapered bearings maybe over this winter.

I do also question whether it's the weight of the shaft drive and battery being on the right side, nothing comes to mind to offset it on the left.
I've found that a gallon jug of water in the left saddlebags off sets it nicely, I'm convinced something is out of alinement.with the center of tire being 12 o'clock, I've got harsh wear at 1:30 like someone took wood plane to it
Solo, thanks for the info.

My 05 wore the left side of the orig. BS out at 7200mi with another thousand or so to go on the right, and did have a slight pull to the right. When I called the dealer service dept. to ask sbout any issues, the service mgr. just said "road crowning". He almost said it before I finished the question. Do these guys all get trained at the same place? I have never had a Motorcycle wear a tire more on one side before, until this one.

I just installed a new michelin pr2 on the front, followed the improved procedure form this thread, took her for a ride and I think she's runnin straight. I only went for a short trip but was able to take my hands off the bars on a straight stretch. We'll see what's going on in a few thousand.

thanks for your and everyone's input.
tim
That's the stock answer, everywhere I go road crown and tire pressure. I installed a set of michelin road 3's,it was a world of difference on handling and tracking, but after 7000 miles I'm still getting the wear on the sides. I'm wondering if the rear tire is cocked to the right, would that make the bike pull to the right?

Pulling to Right

Hi all. Not that everyone wants to hear yet another case of an ST pulling to right.
I am kinda stumped by this - bike is fairly new (10 000 kms) and I have noticed the pull to right, especially at slower speeds. I've tried the special set up sequence for torquing the front axle/pinch bolts, but it has changed nothing. Is there a "trick" that someone knows to solve this? I'm truly greatful for any experiences and insight.:bow1:

Thanks,
Geoff
Carry your 12 pk in the left side, tracks beautifully. I'm leaning towards a swingarm issue.

Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS
Has anyone actually loosened up the triple tree and twist the bars slightly to the left or right to see if that made any difference? I think about it all the time, but too lazy to go try it.

Mine is still steering to the right. Followed all the directions, without the calipers on it spins like a bicycle wheel. New front tire. No ideas

Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS
Here in Western Carolina and surrounding states, it is very common for the left sides of the tires to wear faster.

Solo, thanks for the info.

My 05 wore the left side of the orig. BS out at 7200mi with another thousand or so to go on the right, and did have a slight pull to the right. When I called the dealer service dept. to ask sbout any issues, the service mgr. just said "road crowning". He almost said it before I finished the question. Do these guys all get trained at the same place? I have never had a Motorcycle wear a tire more on one side before, until this one.

I just installed a new michelin pr2 on the front, followed the improved procedure form this thread, took her for a ride and I think she's runnin straight. I only went for a short trip but was able to take my hands off the bars on a straight stretch. We'll see what's going on in a few thousand.

thanks for your and everyone's input.
tim

Top Bottom