Article [13] ST1300 - Pulls to the Right

OP
OP
SoloTotoCoyote
Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
Well, i just came back from a short ride and it seems that it does make a difference but it was windy and i agree, i still have to ride a bit more.

While riding on the right side of the road, there is a very small tendency to go to the right and if i ride on the left side of the road, it will tend to go left.

That is a first to me, that bike never went left.

To be followed....
Some roads are crowned to allow better water run-off. This might be a cause of the differences in pulls depending on the side of the road you're riding on.

Bike
ST1300A-06
Toto,

I'm sorry, i did not explain myself clearly.

The point i was trying to make is before the adjustment, the bike would veer right if i was on the right side of the road and would also veer right when i was on the left side of the road.

Now with the adjustment, it will veer left if on left side of road and veer very slightly right if on the right side.

I guess it means the bike is riding true.

Is it due to the new procedure or is it because the old procedure was not done properly...?

Again, yesterday, i went riding and there is a difference that was not there before the adjustment.

But like i said, i still have to ride i bit more with no wind.

Pall

OP
OP
SoloTotoCoyote
Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
Toto,

I'm sorry, i did not explain myself clearly.

The point i was trying to make is before the adjustment, the bike would veer right if i was on the right side of the road and would also veer right when i was on the left side of the road.

Now with the adjustment, it will veer left if on left side of road and veer very slightly right if on the right side.

I guess it means the bike is riding true.

Is it due to the new procedure or is it because the old procedure was not done properly...?

Again, yesterday, i went riding and there is a difference that was not there before the adjustment.

But like i said, i still have to ride i bit more with no wind.

Pall
Knowing how the average dealership set-up crew probably goes through units during the build, I would say there's probably a good chance that whoever set-up your bike probably didn't set it up per the set-up manual. As far as whether redoing it made a difference, the proof is in the pudding. If the bike feels better, than it probably did make a difference.

Bike
2006 ST1300
At that moment, when you loosen the left pinch bolts, the shaft immediatly recess into the fork or if you want, the fork extend or open up. Also when the pinch bolts are loosen, you hear the shaft stoping against the fork.

At that point on the left fork, the shaft is flush with the inside of the fork, exactly at the same place as in the old setup instruction.

Exactly what I found.

My ST has 700 miles on it, original 020 tires, and pulls right.

I went through the entire set up on the front end, (good I did, I don't think my axle bolt was at 58# ft.) and the pull lessened by maybe 40% but it's still there.

I've even went in the oncoming lane no handed and still pulls right, but slightly less. Don't think the crown of the road plays much in it.

As my ST is right now I have to put my weight on my left cheek, basically looking to the left of the wind shield to go straight no handed.

A big thing on the XX site is installing tapered steering head bearings. (don't know why they still install ball bearings) I could feel a detent in the straight ahead position on my XX. I did the change, and it made a big difference, you could steer no handed with just shifting your head back and forth.

I swear I'm already picking up the slightest detent straight ahead on my ST already. Bearings seem tight, steering doesn't flop over to the stops without a little push.

It's a big job but I'll be doing tapered bearings maybe over this winter.

I do also question whether it's the weight of the shaft drive and battery being on the right side, nothing comes to mind to offset it on the left.

STOC #
I had the slight right pull with the orig OEM tires on mine,
Had new Avons put on yesterday and it does not seem to do it, but I will test some more and report back.

Wallace did like playing around with suspension. I think the instability he was dealing with was a touch more than a little bit of deceleration wobble. keeping one hand on the bars is cheaper of course :)

Gonzo

3/4 Century of Trivia
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I think the way to make sure the bottom of the forks are aligned is to leave the axle alone (perhaps go through the initial setup procedure) and then loosen/torque the triple tree.

OP
OP
SoloTotoCoyote
Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
Solo, thanks for the write up on the set up procedure!

I re-did the front end set up last night, and today the bike tracks MUCH better than before. i.e. no more veering to the right ('06 ABS). It was too windy on the road to tell if it doesn't still have a slight veer left, but it is much improved!

I'll be able to tell better when this stupid wind dies down!

Thanks again!
No problem.....glad it worked for you.

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
I can take my hands off the handle bars and the ST tracks straight. Any speed. Legal that is. Stock tires 3rd set. Bridgestones.

Bike
2006 ST1300
can anyone tell me the procidure for an 05 w/abs, mine has always had a slight pull

thanks for any help
I would say do it the same way.

I played again this morning I first set up the front end with the left fork higher than the right, then switched and had the right higher. Not much mind you maybe 1/4 of an inch. That's all the room you have to play with.

Could detect no difference. Still gradually drifts to the right the same amount.

I'm suspecting if I check front to back wheel alignment I'll find it out. I don't want to check though since I can't do anything about it anyway if it's out.

Guess I'll live with my slight right pull. Nothing left to try.

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
UPDATE:

Tried the Set up on my front end... No luck. Still pulls to the right. At least I know I'll drift off of the road instead of into oncoming traffic if I fall asleep...:cool:

Note: My pull is noticeable on "Deceleration" or "Coasting" in Neutral. No noticeable pull under power.

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
UPDATE:

Tried the Set up on my front end... No luck. Still pulls to the right. At least I know I'll drift off of the road instead of into oncoming traffic if I fall asleep...:cool:
:D :D

When I test this I do it at a constant speed on level straight road with my throttle lock engaged.

The main reason I would like to correct this is I think this contributes to uneven tire wear left to right.

Anyone done Computrack on a ST1300? It's a company that checks/corrects frame alignment.

They find trends in certain makes and models. GSXR600's for instance all have the front wheel offset 7mm from the rear wheel.

I just e-mailed Computrack specifically about the ST1300, I'll see what they say.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300
Wow. This is amazing.:bow1:

I just picked up my brand new 06 ST two weeks ago. Did the break-in the first weekend and now I am back from Arkansas (1950 miles in 2.5 days). Amazing, amazing, amazing machine!

However, I too have a right-pulling ST. The whole way back to Omaha (almost 400 miles) I was thinking what could cause this and I couldn't wait to get back home to see if any of you have the same problem.

I couldn't believe it was the first post in the "issue" section.

I am too tired to re-install the front wheel right now but I can't wait to try this. Thank you for posting this, I will make sure I report when I re-do the front.

I do feel better I am not the only one...;)

Uh, this may be a dumb (invalid/irrelevant) observation, but with the drive shaft, rear differential and battery all on the right side of the bike, could it be the bike's CG is right of the tire centerline? I don't notice pulling to the right so much, but I've noticed my chicken strip is always smaller on the left of the rear tire indicating the bike is leaning less on right turns/more on left turns, which a CG right of center would do (I think). Then perhaps I just lean more left or the road crown is doing that. Any opinion on this?:confused:

Bike
ST1300
:D :D

When I test this I do it at a constant speed on level straight road with my throttle lock engaged.

The main reason I would like to correct this is I think this contributes to uneven tire wear left to right.

Anyone done Computrack on a ST1300? It's a company that checks/corrects frame alignment.

They find trends in certain makes and models. GSXR600's for instance all have the front wheel offset 7mm from the rear wheel.

I just e-mailed Computrack specifically about the ST1300, I'll see what they say.

Any word from Computrack?

My ST has always pulled to the right. Last night I loosened everything up and went through the "new" tightening procedure. It still pulls to the right, but seems a little better. I'm running Z6 tires up front and have SEVERE tire wear on the left side of the tire. My current tire is totally gone just left of center, but the right side of the tire looks like it could do another 2000 miles, easy.

I also noticed my fork tubes aren't even. The left tube is higher in the triple-clamps than the right. Gonna correct that Saturday when I install a new front tire. Hoping the 'pulls right' goes away with a new tire properly installed, and the fork tubes even.

Here's an interesting thread on 'pulls to the right':
http://groups.msn.com/ST1300US/general.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=92846&LastModified=4675674905421508932

The originator discovered his CG is offset to the right. Adding 13lbs of weight to the left saddlebag centered the CG and eliminated the pull to the right. Food for thought...

Got the new Z6 installed, made sure to follow the "new" front tire mounting instructions. I also lowered the left fork tube so it matched the right tube. Then road test. The 'veers right' is just as bad as always. I think the old, worn, flattened tire was keeping the bike straight, to some extent.

Bottom line for me: how the front tire was installed didn't help with the 'pulls to the right'.

Top Bottom