90 degree valve stem question

Louie Louie

My bike is in the shop and I am getting new tires, I asked the service manager if they had 90 degree stems and he said they did. He said they can be used w/ a Goldwing and Other bikes.Is it risky to ask them to install them ,or should I wait and get the Ariete brand next tire change. in other words, does Honda really have these stems that fit on the ST13?(BT020) Ive heard horror stories about the stems not being the correct ones in some situations.

Louis

Went to an auto-repair shop some 3 months ago to have a flat tire (from my ST) repaired. Asked the shop if they had any 90-deg stem and they did. Got them to install on the rear rim that I had brought along. Never had any problems with it so far, even after almost 2000 km of travel. And it's just a generic brand of a stem.

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
Louis, chances are if they are used on the GW they are the rubber mounted stems. Stay far away from any rubber mounted angled valve stems.

The Ariete solid mounted are the only way to go.

Ray

JZH

International Bodger
FYI, Ariete is an importer; the alloy stems are made by Bridgeport in Italy (hence the "B" cast into the stem...)

Ciao,

Bike
2013 GL 1800
STOC #
I tried the Goldwing type several years ago and just didn't like the way they looked and felt. Also was told that GW's use some sort of a bracket to keep the stem from flexing. Went to the Bridgeport Italian valves and not only they looked better they were easier to use IMHO.

OP
OP

Louie Louie

I tried the Goldwing type several years ago and just didn't like the way they looked and felt. Also was told that GW's use some sort of a bracket to keep the stem from flexing. Went to the Bridgeport Italian valves and not only they looked better they were easier to use IMHO.
Thanks so much. I thought something sounded weird. Will wait for the Italian ones or will go to BMW dealer in Riverside.

OP
OP

Louie Louie

Louis, chances are if they are used on the GW they are the rubber mounted stems. Stay far away from any rubber mounted angled valve stems.
The Ariete solid mounted are the only way to go.

Ray
_ .... ._ _. _._ ... _... ._. ___ (Thank you bro in Morse code))

73's NB6L

Last edited by a moderator:
STOC #
Dang it, dang it!!!
I am having new shoes put on her tomorrow... I KNEW there was something I had forgotten!.

:/

OP
OP

Louie Louie

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
You are not gonna believe this. I ordered them yesterday, had them fedexed to dealer....Dealer got them but they are the wrong ones, they sent the 8.3!!! In any case, picked up the bike and looks great(except no 90% valves!)

Anyone need some 8.3 beautiful Italian 90degrree valve stems..?
No matter how hard you try, sometimes you just can't win. :eek::

Just think how cool the bike would look with the new stems. You might want to order them now so you'll have them for the next tire change.

Ray

OP
OP

Louie Louie

No matter how hard you try, sometimes you just can't win. :eek::
Just think how cool the bike would look with the new stems. You might want to order them now so you'll have them for the next tire change.
Ray

Yes Ray, its ok...I am blessed to have a bike and high IQd good guys to ask questions to!

anyone know where to get the Arietes without either:

A: forcing you to checkout without knowing the shipping
or
B: Charging $10 to ship. Come-on even USPS Priority less than a pound should be ~$4.00

Ideas?

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
Actually, priority mail is $4.80 now, but even adding the cost of the packaging should be way less than $10. Those sites that force you to go through the checkout process should present you with a total cost prior to approving the charge.

Bike
04 ST1300
This is what I was told by my tire shop:
With the 90 degree stem you must use a brace. As the speed increases centrifigual force pulls the stem downward. This constant flex will lead to premature failure. This is why Goldwings have a mount on the rim for a plastic brace.
I bought a tire pressure gauge with flexible hose, problem solved

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
This is what I was told by my tire shop:
With the 90 degree stem you must use a brace. As the speed increases centrifigual force pulls the stem downward. This constant flex will lead to premature failure. This is why Goldwings have a mount on the rim for a plastic brace.
I bought a tire pressure gauge with flexible hose, problem solved
Sure, that makes sense if the stem is flexible. The metal stems are not. Haven't heard of a failure yet.
+1. The Wing-type 90 stems are rubber on a rubber base. The arete type are metal with a rubber washer/seal then a nut inside the wheel.

The Wing stems you can move around just like the oem ST stems... the arete ones don't budge at all. One of the best things I've ever added - makes checking the tires sooooo much easier.

Top Bottom