90 degree valve stem question

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
My 90 degree aluminum stems work fine. They sure make checking pressure and adding air easier. I've had them on two sets of tires now. They were new to the mechanics and they were hesitant to put them on thinking they wouldn't fit or they would break while riding and I would sue their ***. One mechanic thought they were plastic.

Bike
ST1300
+1 on the former Rubber Stems...
Got 1600 Miles & bam. Stem let go.... All air..... all at once.....
Stems were from Iron Pony local Columbus Ohio store.
Bad decision on my part. stay away...
Replaced tire & went back to original..didnt do the research before hand.
duh,
Next time metal Italians.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Tried the 90d stems ... it was still hard to get my hand/co2 pump in there and do the required action... this is what I now carry on the ST.

Solves all the problems for $7.

http://www.amazon.com/ACCU-GAGE-Accu-gage-Chek-A-Spare/dp/B0006O2S8M/ref=pd_sim_auto_3

Screws on and gives two foot extension!

best
Tom

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
So. I just (about 1 hour ago) ordered a pair of Enke 90? stems. All metal, but rubber gasket top and bottom with 2 nuts. I have a (straight) on my stainless steel sprayer that has been seriously abused for several years. I'll find out if they're ok:)

OH, yeah. Enke makes the wheels. Should fit ok...Oh, yeah again. $11.95 shipped. If you'd have seen the stocker that I left on my front the last time I needed a tire, you'd have cried. It's making it, but it is grusome.

If the Enke stems last near as long as the stockers I'll be ok. 87,xxx:)

Putt

R.I.P. - 2009/05/29
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Hey. Didn't see your post until this morning, Putt.

You still need that part number?
Got it, thanks Tom...
Ordered the extension hose that Tom Mack posted...
Probably pick up a BMW adapter also..

Putt...

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
So. Less than 24 hours after I ordered the Enke 85? degree valve stems they arrived from Kurvy Girl in Phoenix. 24 hours!

Picture isn't so good, sue me. It's late in my day, I should be in bed:)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Dumb question: Do you use a chemical locking compound on the threads of those Aeriete valve stems?
They come with some green colored thread lock of some type on them.

Bike
Vstrom 650
Old old thread here guys but I just had the rear tyre deflate almost instantly and the culprit is the 90 degree angled valve stem I had fitted with the new tyre 5,500 miles ago, the tyre still has a few thousand miles in it,
now a dumb question, can the valve stem be replaced without removing the wheel and tyre? I'm guessing probably not.
so in that case maybe I should just fit a new tyre and valve, think I'll go back to the ordinary type valve, it was a metal/rubber combo that I have fitted, bought from a Honda dealers too, thanks.

Bike
2010 ST1300
, can the valve stem be replaced without removing the wheel and tyre?
Most of these valve stems have a nut that goes on the stem from inside the rim. So, in theory, you could use a C-clamp to break the bead all they way 'round', squeeze the beads together and hold them there w/ zip ties, replace the valve stem and cut the zip tie and inflate the tire. I said 'in theory' because access to the wheel is very limited, you will probably knock the bike over in the process, and it would be faster to just remove the wheel and use a tire machine w/ a bead breaker to get access to the valve stem hole.

So, while theory is fine, I wouldn't try it.

Bike
Vstrom 650
Just typed a reply and it disappeared!! anyway I'll try again,

The type of valve I have fitted has no nut on the inside, it's all rubber with a metal angle piece then, can't get an image to upload,
I'm wondering if I could squeeze some kind of sealant in round the valve so as it might hold air until I get to the tyre fitters shop.
I have no confidence in these valves now, worse thing is I have one fitted in the front as well and also in my vstrom!!

Bike
2010 ST1300
https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Degree-Angled-PVR70M-Rubber/dp/B017TECC1E

this is the type, having serious issues using the site now, must be something wrong this end.
Looks to me like your standard tire valve stem. However. Valve stems are designed for a specific size hole. Having seen my auto mechanic pull the valve stems into a wheel, the fit is quite tight. If yours popped out, it might be for a smaller hole in the rim. I do know that the usual right angled vavle stems (or T shaped ones for air and a TPMS) either come in two sizes or have two sizes of rubber gaskets. A mismatch of sizes would cause your problem.

Bike
Vstrom 650
Looks to me like your standard tire valve stem. However. Valve stems are designed for a specific size hole. Having seen my auto mechanic pull the valve stems into a wheel, the fit is quite tight. If yours popped out, it might be for a smaller hole in the rim. I do know that the usual right angled vavle stems (or T shaped ones for air and a TPMS) either come in two sizes or have two sizes of rubber gaskets. A mismatch of sizes would cause your problem.
The valve has lasted though for 5500 miles so it's hard to know if it was the wrong size, the bike was just sitting in the shed, haven't been using her much lately and just noticed it flat yesterday, don't know why the valve would just go like that without being disturbed , anyway looking at youtube videos I'm going to have to take the wheel off and go and get a new valve fitted, the tyre still has a few thousand miles left yet.

Top Bottom