90 degree valve stem question

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
[QUOTEbroc11]haven't been using her much lately and just noticed it flat yesterday, don't know why the valve would just go like that without being disturbed
[/QUOTE]

You didn't say how it failed so I'm guessing it didn't pop out but is still in the rim.

Maybe it didn't 'just go like that'. It might have sustained a slow leak. Have you tried to fill the tire? Fortunately you found it flat instead of it going flat while riding.

I've never seen a stem like that and wouldn't have chosen it only because I'd assume centripetal force would be a problem and stress the base as a straight stem would not. And that's apparently what happened. Somewhere in the base at the rim the stem has cracked.

The stems I've seen are all metal with rubber washer(s) and a nut. They don't have the flex that your stems have. I'd think yours might be ok for low speed vehicles but that bend combined with centripetal force and pushing against when filling with air just wouldn't inspire my confidence. And your experience reinforces that.

Someone here has a problem with a leaky stem (standard I think) and was able to shore it up with tape until they could get it replaced. Maybe you'd get lucking with some sealant and tape to stabilize it. I'd try it only if I was going to a very nearby shop to get it replaced.

There are far better 90º stems. Or you could use a standard stem and put a 90º elbow on it when filling and remove it immediately afterwards.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Dumb question: Do you use a chemical locking compound on the threads of those Aeriete valve stems?
When my stems (from Slow-Boy Racing) were installed the shop used some form of sealant on the base. The Ariete-type stems use a rubber washer on only one side where most other 90º versions use a rubber washer on both sides.

Honda uses a 90º stem on the GoldWings (at least on my buddy's 2005) but it also has a bracket stabilizing it to reduce/eliminate flexing due to that pesky force.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
broc11 said:
so it's hard to know if it was the wrong size
The two basic size are something like 8- and 11mm so a size error should have been readily apparent and probably wouldn't have held air for 5mi let alone 5500. STs use the larger stem.

Here's a link to a far better 90º valve stem.

Last edited:

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
For broc11:
Any chance it's not the valve stem and maybe a loose valve core? It might be worth a check to see if it's tight or just replace it with one from a car parts store- if it's loose, then you're golden and don't need to do anything else. Just a thought.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Yes you can replace it in place if you can manage to break the bead of the tire in the valve stem location. I have done it with a large screw type C-clamp and some blocks of wood. Remove the rear fender for better access. Depending on the brand of tire some beads are harder than others to break. It will depend on what tools you have available and how determined you are. The type of valve you have installed can be ripped through the rim from the outside making removal easy. I would install a regular rubber valve assembly as they are easy to install while the tire is still installed. When it comes time to replace your tire I would suggest you install these or something similar. Good luck.

Bike
Vstrom 650
Thanks guys, what a brilliant forum this is, the valve is broken right at the rim so I assume it's just wear from the bad design of these, it will go flat in minutes from being fully inflated,
I have a few spare valves here of the same type but I will use them in my atv and trailer sometime, they'll be fine for low speed stuff, I will order the ones from the links you just gave me but for now I'll just get a regular type valve from a local tyre fitters and try fitting it myself, good tip on removing the rear fender, with a C clamp and some determination hopefully I'll get it done,
lucky it didn't happen on the road somewhere as you say.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
can the valve stem be replaced without removing the wheel and tyre? I'm guessing probably not.
so in that case maybe I should just fit a new tyre and valve,
Nada, nope, нет!

Have to get the old parts out and new parts in. Even pure rubber ines get pulled through from inside to outside.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I will order the ones from the links you just gave me but for now I'll just get a regular type valve from a local tyre fitters and try fitting it myself,
As Robert said, most of the angled valves have a threaded spigot that goes through the rim, with sealing washer(s) and a nut on the inside. This generic type (straight or angled) is more durable than any rubber valve - though the rubber ones seem to last the life of a tire on cars.

You might consider a 'T' shaped valve stem so that you can use an external TPMS at some time in the future. Go to the FOBO website - they have them and I'm sure other vendors do too.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Nada, nope, нет!
Yes it can- I have done it. I would not recommend it as a routine practice but when in a pinch as the OP is it can be done.

Have to get the old parts out and new parts in.
If the old valve is rubber you just rip it out from the outside.

Even pure rubber ines get pulled through from inside to outside.
Once you get it through the hole it is pulled through the rim from the outside. I was able to borrow a valve stem puller which made it a lot easier but I have pulled them through using pliers as well- it is doable with some lube and finesse.

Bike
07 ST1300
I like straight alloy stems myself. Easy to use, for me anyway, and work well with my screw on tpms

Top Bottom