ST1100 Windshield???

OP
OP
ennacac
Bike
2002 ST1100
Re: Windshield???

I just called them and the LIP for my Cee Bailey on my ST1100 is actually the LIP for a BMW R1200GL with a stock windshield.

Tom

richpeabody

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
yes

I, OTOH, am happy as if I had sense with my Clearview Tall....and find the buffeting only minorly annoying, and that it sort of buffeted with the stock shield.....

OP
OP
ennacac
Bike
2002 ST1100

OK, I am fairly happy now, actually very happy with my Cee Bailey 2+2+ and Laminar LIP (R1200CL BMW LIP) with the LIP sticking out beyond the windshield by about 2". Night and Day over just the CB windshield, which was much better than the GIVI, which was better than the stock one.

I only drove it about 30 miles today (between tornado warnings and thunderstorms) but even the wind doesn't seem to blow me around as much as before either. Very pleasant drive with little noise and not much wind!

Tom

jww193

Jeff W

Hey, since this thread is going and going and .......I've been thinking of a new shield for my 1100 as well. It came with a clearview gen 2 that is a little tall for me (5'8" with a 30" inseam) right in my line of vision. It works pretty well but I'd like something a little shorter. I've been looking at the Lam/Lip combo and the MRA Varioscreen. To all you "height challenged" people out there, or anyone that might have some insight, which would work better?

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/1291

Pizzmeister

Born-Again Newbie
Bike
Honda ST1100
STOC #

OK, I am fairly happy now, actually very happy with my Cee Bailey 2+2+ and Laminar LIP (R1200CL BMW LIP) with the LIP sticking out beyond the windshield by about 2". Night and Day over just the CB windshield, which was much better than the GIVI, which was better than the stock one.

I only drove it about 30 miles today (between tornado warnings and thunderstorms) but even the wind doesn't seem to blow me around as much as before either. Very pleasant drive with little noise and not much wind!

Tom
Ok, reviving a 1+ year-old thread, but I'm in the same situation. About 6'1" w/34+" inseam. Travelcade Stealth seat, Heli bars, and a stock (16.5") Cee Bailey windscreen.

I think I feel the cut-off for the wind somewhere around my collarbone. My last motorcycle had a bikini fairing, so I don't really know what it's "supposed" to be like. I do know that just about all of my rides are noisy (even with earplugs) due to the wind. I haven't taken any long trips on this bike so far. Longest ride was for about 45 minutes, freeway speeds.

I don't want to go broke trying out lots of combinations. I really like the look of the Cee Bailey I have, and I was considering getting one that was +4" or +6", but I don't want it to look funny, and I don't want to go through the trouble if it's not going to help much.

The laminar lip sounds like it would be a cheaper solution, and give a little more flexibility. If someone was to add a laminar lip, how much protection would it add? Their site indicates it can go up to 3" higher than stock, but with the lip does that move the air up 3", or more?

Bike
'07 ST1300

I enjoy my Aeroflow a lot... no back pressure at all, very nice calm/quiet air in cockpit area for me, wife noticed big good difference for her too, have tested it up to 100+ mph, my only complaint is that it's a little thin and being so large (it's wider and taller than stock I have the Tall ) it does shake a bit when the weather is windy...but I've never noticed it shake when passing 18 wheelers....my other mild complaint is that I have to have the top edge very close to my line of sight to get the best aerodynamic effect, .....

I was gonna try a Clearview, but the Laminar Flow Plate that is part of the Aeroflow caught my attention, as I have a dash shelf and my dash shelf fits right up under the back/top edge of the LFP and gives a nice "factory" finish to my homemade dashshelf and farkles.....

the stock was ok for me as well, but I did notice considerable back pressure at higher speed, and a good bit of turbulence on my helmet....I especially noticed a big improvement with the Aeroflow LFP with the stock shield before I bought the Aeroflow shield.

JPrieST

Don't squat with your spurs on
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #

Ok, reviving a 1+ year-old thread, but I'm in the same situation. About 6'1" w/34+" inseam. Travelcade Stealth seat, Heli bars, and a stock (16.5") Cee Bailey windscreen.

I think I feel the cut-off for the wind somewhere around my collarbone. My last motorcycle had a bikini fairing, so I don't really know what it's "supposed" to be like. I do know that just about all of my rides are noisy (even with earplugs) due to the wind. I haven't taken any long trips on this bike so far. Longest ride was for about 45 minutes, freeway speeds.

I don't want to go broke trying out lots of combinations. I really like the look of the Cee Bailey I have, and I was considering getting one that was +4" or +6", but I don't want it to look funny, and I don't want to go through the trouble if it's not going to help much.

The laminar lip sounds like it would be a cheaper solution, and give a little more flexibility. If someone was to add a laminar lip, how much protection would it add? Their site indicates it can go up to 3" higher than stock, but with the lip does that move the air up 3", or more?
I'm 6'4" with 34" inseam. I have concluded that it is impossible for someone of my build to find a "perfect" windshield. It has come down to a compromise. Tall enough to find some semblance of silence, and you feel every gust of wind and turbulance. Short enough to be rid of the turbulance, and you get the wind screaming and roaring. With my stock seat w/ spencer mod, I went through the stock windscreen, a clearview xxl, a clearview xxl w/ laminar lip, cut it down 2 inches and tried with and without the lip, a rifle 24", and finally settled on a laminar combo. It provided 'fair' wind protection without the buffeting from turbulance, especially on the freeway.

Now I got a used Russell, which sits me an inch or so higher, and I'm starting all over again. I think I'm going to settle with more wind protection and accept the buffeting, we'll see. I love the ST1100, this is the only complaint I have about it. Unfortunately, it affects every minute of my ride. Makes me sometimes wish I was 5' 10" or 11".:D

Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #

I have the Rifle 22" and the height is fine. My noise problem is my shoulders. I wear a 48 coat and I have determined the wind noise is from them. I can tuck my shoulders in and the wind noise quits. I wear ear plugs and that's OK, but ear buds are too loud for music at highway speeds.

I had a BMW K100LT that was very quiet, but no air flow and hot, hot.

I am thinking about the Clearview as it's 4"wider than stock. Is the 22" CV the same height as the 22" Rifle? Any other suggestions?

As I said the Rifle is great except for the shoulder wind noise.

Ralph Sims

Bike
2001 Honda ST1100

Laminar shield + lip: Best of all by miles. Much lower than even the CV medium, yet smoothest by far. Zero turbulence. Recently completed a 1600-mile trip, about half on interstates that I try to avoid. Perfectly smooth, even at 100mph. Bike is hardly affected by truck turbulence at all, probably because the screen is physically quite low. The only obvious difference versus above options, is that the Laminar shield is angled back quite a bit more than the others. All the other options are obsolete. Its also the best looking, for what that's worth.
Thanks for this ... Is the the setup you are talking about? I have a clearview (I think a clearview Large) that came with the bike when I bought it. I also have heli-bars ... do you think that will effect much?

unnamed.jpg

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350

Thanks for this ... Is the the setup you are talking about? I have a clearview (I think a clearview Large) that came with the bike when I bought it. I also have heli-bars ... do you think that will effect much?

unnamed.jpg
Depends how tall you are, but a Clearview large should provide great protection and the Helibars are one of the best farkles ever made for the ST1100.

Bike
2001 Honda ST1100

Depends how tall you are, but a Clearview large should provide great protection and the Helibars are one of the best farkles ever made for the ST1100.
+1 on the HeliBars. I love um!

Im 5'11" ... I am seriously considering the laminar lip shield and lip (as pictured) instead of the Clearview. The clearview is great protection indeed, but I almost wonder if it is too big ... as CarSalesman said, I seem to get a decent amount of turbulence that effects the handling more than I like. But, I also like the wind protection. :)

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I have a large CV and am 5'9". Turbulence not a problem for me, but maybe I'm used to it. Give it a while and see if you can adjust to it. The ST1100 is a big slab of plastic and strong cross winds will have you hanging on, and not just because of the windshield.

Bike
92 ST1100
I have a large CV and am 5'9". Turbulence not a problem for me, but maybe I'm used to it. Give it a while and see if you can adjust to it. The ST1100 is a big slab of plastic and strong cross winds will have you hanging on, and not just because of the windshield.
+1 in ALL the above mentioned. The LaminarLip adds to the stability of front in turbulant situations. Changing force cross-winds......a relaxed hold, and let it 'do its thing'. Closed in catches alot of air. FWIW, even the heavier Wing 1800, all closed in catches cross-winds, moving it around, so I've been told told by those owners. With that, I don't feel to 'short-changed';).

Bike
2001 Honda ST1100
+1 in ALL the above mentioned. The LaminarLip adds to the stability of front in turbulant situations. Changing force cross-winds......a relaxed hold, and let it 'do its thing'. Closed in catches alot of air. FWIW, even the heavier Wing 1800, all closed in catches cross-winds, moving it around, so I've been told told by those owners. With that, I don't feel to 'short-changed';).
Okay thanks guys! Holding on to it for now ... My wife says I can't spend any more money anyway till I sell some more of my old parts.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
The ST1100 is a big slab of plastic and strong cross winds will have you hanging on, and not just because of the windshield.
...a relaxed hold, and let it 'do its thing'...
+1 to both...
Never underestimate the "auto lean" effect on the ST... they did an excellent job designing its faring/stance in the wind-tunnel... whenever you *grab* them bars you just interfere, hindering the bike in doing its job, making things worse...
I'd hit "truck-wakes" at 100mph and more... with 2 fingers on the bar... that bike has amazing abilities...

Bike
ST1100 1999
What height is the standard screen supposed to be on the ST1100? I have a feeling mine may have been chopped somewhat.

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I have the next to tallest Clearview. Clearly I failed to account for the additional height of the Russell Seat. I tried a lip and it didn't help. I have a MRA windshield extension that I'm experimenting with now. The problem is with 70+ MPH interstate travel.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Just went back and gave this thread a look. Nobody mentioned the Givi shield for the 1100. I've been using it for a few years now, with a MRA lip (useless without the lip) and it's been great. Sends the wind just barely over the top of my helmet. Nice size and I think looks real good. It does not have the extra width like the Clearview. I prefer that, as I like the wind (ventilation) on my arms.

Top Bottom