How fast have you had your ST?

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I do know, that at that kind of speed, you have to look a LONG way ahead of you. Things come up on you very quick.

Rod
I once rode my FZR1000 for several minutes through the Nevada high desert at an indicated 167mph, probably a legit 150-155. The elevation was about 6500 ft, so that limited the performance a bit. I remember I rode that speed laying on the tank for long enough that I got 'velocitized' to that speed, so when the road began to curve I backed it off to what seemed like a reasonable speed and sat up out of the windscreen bubble and almost got yanked off the bike. I looked down at the speedo and I was still doing 110-120, and it seemed more like 70-80.

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
Exceeded triple digit, then the mrs. grabbed something and said something about doing that again might create a loss of....I backed down real quick, smooth no wooble and she wont be riding that fast again!

Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
An ST of a different brand but indicated showed 154, GPS reads 148 as highest speed.

clicker666

2005 ST1300
Bike
2005 ST1300
200 kph on the speedo, felt a bit of wobble and backed off. Just wanted to see how fast it could go in a straight line. (I always test with any vehicle I buy, just to see how fast the vehicle can hit a top speed, just in case).

Bike
ST1300A 2006
Can't see the problem with speed, not dangerous unless used in the wrong place, or at the wrong time, all STs are made for sustained high speed anyway, my 1300 gets to an indicated 145 no problems, usually on the autobahns whilst on euro tours, frighting thing is you're still in the way of the mercs and bm's coming up behind!
Important thing is the vehicle is stable, back in the day when I was a bike cop, I could easily reach 135 with my trusty old Pan 1100, and that was covered in silly blue lights and full of kit, also the speedo was calibrated so it was correct

motofisch

(Scott)
Bike
2006 ST1300
115 MPH is the highest I have had my ST1300. Whenever I exceed 100 MPH I remind myself that I am the inconsistant nucklehead that attaches the wheels and other major parts. That's usually all I need to reconsider my speed and slow it down a bit.

However, in my younger days.........

Bike
07 ST1300
Problem is my 1300 goes from 80 to 110+ so quickly I dont realize it! I have not looked for my top speed and never have on any bike. I just dont want to be disconnected from the bike at that speed, whatever it is. I already go to fast to often. It's difficult to contain all that power sometimes.
Yesterday I was tooling down the highway alone and noticed I was going an indicated 100. What a lovely speeding ticket THAT would be in a 55 zone. Didnt seem too fast.

Norm

Vendor
Bike
KLR650
STOC #
I installed an electronic cruise control for the same reason as JimGregory. Keep looking down and !!!!!.

It made riding far more relaxing due to not having to worry about tickets.

The other side of the cruise control coin is that it is great fun to set the cruise on a trip and leave it on through every last corner. The slow to 30 kph ones are quite engaging then the cruise is set at 112 or 113. :) There is some GP fun to be had without going over the speed limit.

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
Harley only wishes they had something that could run close to the ST. I play with those guys on the interstate. They will be running wide open and after following then a wile I get tired of the noise. Open the ST up, smooth and quite. I chased down a BMW once and looked down to the see if I was at triple digit mark. It was way past that to the right. Thought I should keep eye straight. It was so smooth.

Norm

Vendor
Bike
KLR650
STOC #
There used to be nothing so much fun as encountering Harleys on the steep hill on the way to the cottage. They'd see me coming up in the mirror and I'd see them wind the throttle open. All that did was increase the noise a bit. I'd slide up beside them and hold up 5 fingers, then point to the engine; downshift and hold up 4, downshift and hold up 3, downshift and hold up 2. In some cases I could get to one finger. Although they often held up one finger, I could tell they were exaggerating as they hadn't shifted down. ;-)

Joseph/TX

R.I.P. - 2016/11/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
1994 ST-1100A
There used to be nothing so much fun as encountering Harleys on the steep hill on the way to the cottage... ;-)
Now, THAT'S a good story; gonna have to pass that one on... :capwin:

Last edited:
Bike
st1300
My st1300 would do the guts of 140 mph I reckon. (Cant be sure of course I just reckon)
I got chatting with a now, buddy of mine at gym a couple of years back about my white st1100 at the time.
I said its still good for about 150mph, he said the clocks are not too accurate that if it was calibrated it would read 140mph.
He told me he had one that would do a calibrated 140mph "fully dressed" I didn't understand what this fully dressed meant.
He informed me fully dressed was with the blue lights and sirens and other emergency roadside stuff a traffic patrol bike uses.
Oh Oh :04biker: I told him also that I was receiving medication for being a compulsive liar from my doctor. We had a hearty laugh!
Luckily he was a biker before he was a traffic cop ! and not other way about. but of course this never happened, I am a spoofer ! :)

Bike
1990 Yamaha XTZ750
I've run mine up to around 140 mph-ish, and I believe 110 mph is a nice cruising speed (on certain German highways).
On my way home in the evening there are a few stretches of highway here in the Neverlands where I get to legally take it up to 90 mph :)

Bike
2006 ST1300 A
About 95. Have only had my ST since June and I'm still getting used to it. I had my '80 CB900 up to 120 or 125 but that's when I was only 25 years old and single. I'm 60 now, have 3 kids and a wife and have a much better handle on my own mortality so I doubt if I will ever go that fast again.

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
About 95. Have only had my ST since June and I'm still getting used to it. I had my '80 CB900 up to 120 or 125 but that's when I was only 25 years old and single. I'm 60 now, have 3 kids and a wife and have a much better handle on my own mortality so I doubt if I will ever go that fast again.
LOL!!! Great response...

I can't think that fast anymore, let alone drive that fast...

Top Bottom